Fiamma Carry Bike problem

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by karel, Jun 19, 2014.

1. karel

karel Read Only Funster

I recently installed one of these and cannot fit two bikes on, I have a mountain bike and road bike which were pretty expensive and the problem is there is not enough of a gap between the carriers and the bikes are entangled and are ending up scratched. I have had to carry one and throw the other in the van as I can't see a solution, surely I am missing something but can see no solution.

any advice appreciated

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Have you tried slackening the handle bars, turning in line, and putting the bikes on the rack facing different directions.. ?

I used to carry four like that , also used some bubble wrap or bits of foam between bikes where there was a risk of chaffing.

• Like Like x 1
  3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Mountain bikes can be a bit of a pain due to the handlebar width. You may have to resort to a bit of Allan key work whenever you load to rotate the handlebars. If it's pedals clashing then try them in the "69" position. Works for us. :Laughing:

Tim

4. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Blush:

5. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Depends on which rack you have bought, you can move the rails further apart on some I think but you will then have to purchase the blocker for the 'third bike' position

Peter

6. jaygee

jaygee Funster

Had a 3 bike rack,used to have to swivel handle bars round,remove seat posts,juggle them around for an age,didn't seem to matter how many times i took them on/off never seemed to go back same way!!
    Then fitting cover was another wind up, so when we came to replace van made sure it got a LARGE garage

7. karel

karel Read Only Funster

I did try to shuffle but it was either pedals sticking in or seat posts then the handle bars. I only had limited time so threw one in the back, just can't understand why they don't just give a bit more clearance rather then have to qualify for the krypton factor ! No way of adjusting, double checked.

8. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

We turn handlebars inwards,put bikes head to tail and remove pedal on outside bike so that cover doesn't get rubbed by it.

Mike

9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Not 100% sure, but I think it is to comply with EU law regarding max overhang of a bike rack.. I do know it is 45cm/18" in Portugal..

so whether it's a 2, 3, or 4 bike rack, it is the same size rack .. maybe someone can measure to confirm.

10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

11. Serendipitous

Serendipitous Funster

To keep the bikes apart and prevent scratching we use standard pipe insulation cut in to short lengths. The stuff slip around frame tubes and stops contact.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

Mountain bikes are meant to get battered aren't they? Mine's scratched to buggery.

Anyway, be that as it may, I stagger them on the rack and make sure the pedals are angled in such a way as to not clash with the other bike's frame. I've never had to twiddle with the handle bars.

Then I chain the bikes tight to the metal bar that holds the bike frame supports, and run a webbing strap from the handlebars up to the rear ladder as a temporary fail safe in case the rack collapsed.

I've carried three mountain bikes that way.

13. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Our Fiamma rack was bought second hand, I had to buy a third bike rail and a long cross bar support. The support that the bike rails fit onto had a couple of bolts to take out, then you could extend this section and put the bolts into the next set of holes along. Since we got the electric bikes which have wider cranks, we can only fit two bikes on now but they take the weight to near the limit for the rack anyway.

14. musson

musson Funster

bike rack

Hi I carry 2 electric bikes (without the battery in them)one ladies, one mountain bike, I put mountain bike inside with bars turned straight at one side then the other bike the other way round. use bubble wrap around the clamps so far no scratches
    Paul

15. busby

busby Funster

You can buy folding pedals. I carry two large bikes with no bother. Put them on opposite to each other, ie 69. Do not have to move handlebars or seats. BUSBY.

16. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

If the drop down support tubing that the runners are fastened to protrudes backwards past the outer runner (.... think about it, it DOES make sense!) there's no reason why you couldn't take the outer runner off, drill some new holes further out and then put the runner back on - that's what I've done in the past without a problem to give an extra inch or two, this, along with the other suggestions above from others, should solve your problem.

17. MikeD

MikeD Funster

18. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Hi All,
    On a related theme, SWMBO saw a Bike Cover for our two bikes on Fleabay. It eventually sold for £27 plus£6 postage.
    I was then instructed to get a better deal.
    I went onto the JohnsCross site and bought the same cover (only Brand New!!!) for less than the idiot on Fleabay.(We get a discount from JohnsCross
    Thats a few more quid that this site has saved me

19. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

On our old fiamma 3 bike rack it was possible to undo the bolts and extend the base bars which gave plenty of space if you just used the inner and outer rails and only carried 2 bikes.
    I think most folks carrying mountain bikes tend to turn the bars parallel with the crossbar due to the fact that their bars are much wider than those of a road bike. You can generally avoid pedals scrapping the other bikes frame by being careful how you set the cranks before loading

20. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

The rails that the wheels sit in can be slid from side-to-side (when the fasteners are loosened) setting one to extreme left & the other to extreme right is yet another option to add to the rest.