Fiamma Bike Rack

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CJB, Jul 30, 2013.

1. CJB

CJB Funster

I have a 4 rail fiamma bike rack, however it seem really tricky to get 4 bikes on it. The fixing arms that swing dont seem long enough to reach the corresponding rail.

I am missing something here??????

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There is a range of different size arms so perhaps the ones you have are all too short?

One thing to watch out for with 4 bikes is that you don't overload the rear axle weight even if the overall weight of the van is legal. I understand a bike can be anything up to 35Kg.

3. Johnbot

Johnbot Read Only Funster

I am a mountainbiker with a large quality bike, it weighs 14kgs. 35kg would be for electric bikes and such like. Assuming the principle is the same as my Thule carrier for my car it is a bit of a pain in the arse to get them on. Thule carriers come with rigid arms which are a total impossibility to use with three let alone 4 bikes. What I do is use bungee cords for all three bikes, one for each bike tied up tight back to the carrier upright. Use foam pipe insulation or rags to keep the bikes off each other and keep the paint unscratched.
    You have to ensure the bikes are strapped in a the wheels as well. If that isn't clear. And as they are on the back of your camper which i assume you can not see all the time get a chain with a plastic coating and padlock for when your out and about
    Works a treat and never lost a bike, and my car goes much faster and harder than a camper ever will.

4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

All the arms are here http://www.johnscross.co.uk/fiamma-carry-bike-accessories.html

But if you are passing pop in and someone will check you have the right 'arms' etc

Peter

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I agree - but many motorhomers use electric bikes.

6. busby

busby Funster

But dont you take the batteries off when on rack???? BUSBY:BigGrin:

7. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Yes, but even so some are still a bit heavy :BigGrin:

8. cmcardle75

cmcardle75 Read Only Funster

Also, remember that weight that far back can be doubled by the time it gets to the rear axle. 80kg of bikes might be over 150kg extra on the axle.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CJB

CJB Funster

Peter I am sure I have all 4 blocks correct it is just that when the arms are extended they dont reach the corresponding rails, it is very odd.

10. Speve

Speve Funster

Modifications

Hi I have just finished modifying my bike rack to take a trike found it quite easy managed to buy some alloy tube the same size and extended the slide out arms to accommodate three wheels as the rack spacing was to small for a trike.you can buy tube from forward metals.co.uk sizes from 250mm long very reasonable prices.