Fiamma awnings - not designed to get wet!? (1 Viewer)

Touchwood

Free Member
Aug 23, 2011
NE England
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde 140
Exp
5 years and learning
I have just bought a rafter for my Fiamma awning - whilst looking on-line for one I downloaded the instructions for use (which I admit I've never read before) and was shocked to find that the recommendation is to not put them away wet - in this country that's tantamount to not using it at all, which makes me wonder why so many motorhomes have them fitted. Its use I guess is intended to be as a sun shade - now I burn easily but even I rarely have difficulty finding some shade to sit in on the rare occasions in this country when we can sit out in the sunshine. Obviously abroad is a different matter, but so far we've not felt the need to go abroad, plenty to see in the UK for us, and we can't be the only ones who feel that way. Its principal value for us is when it is raining, so we can at least step outside the MH without getting wet, but when our MH is parked at home we can't extend the awning at all, so if our holiday ends up with a few wet days I'd not be able to use it for fear of it getting wet! Is this the manufacturer just being overcautious?

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Have always used them as rain shelters. Often put away wet (always mean to dry them out at home....)
Can't see any damage.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Same here. Ours has been put away wet loads of times and doesn't seem to have suffered for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
I always mean to dry it out when rain stops,but never do-I do give it a wash now and then,amazing how dirty they gtet,especially in dusty Spain

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
I assume it's just to stop mould, the same with a tent? I've forgotten to dry mine out and found what looks like mould on the underside a few weeks later - just wiped it off.

Mine is more a sun canopy than an awning, and ends up getting used to hang washing and wet towels on as much as it gets used to shade me from the sun. I tend to roll it away once the drizzle starts getting heavier.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
have seen a fair few with mould patches on used vans. however a quick rinse off and they come up like new again

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Ours has been wet loads of times when winding in, just remember to wind it out when you get parked up to dry it out. I give ours a good clean once a year as it can get green bits on it.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We only use ours as a sun shade. Plenty of sunshine in Kent.......

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They might be worried about the alloy roller getting wet and corroding rather than the nylon awning itself.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the wife reminded me of the worst one we've seen. large patches of seagull poo so part digested fish guts..smelt bad too
bucket of bleach and water and a soft broom softened it up before hosing clean

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Ours is permanently wet as the MH is stored outdoors and rainwater drains into the casing despite its rubber seal. Whenever I roll it out it's wet. It gets a bit grotty after a bit but a wipe on both sides with warm soapy water usually sorts it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back