Fiamma awning not winding in

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Denbo, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Denbo

Denbo Read Only Funster

We've just come back from 2 months travelling around France and Spain while travelling we experienced some really mixed weather, one morning we pulled the awning out to give us shade from the sun a couple of hours later I was struggling to pul the awning in against the wind and rain, the awning wound in but one side was still not in by about 4inch
    We still had four weeks holiday left so i tied strapped the awning shut to avoid it opening while driving, now I am home I can open the awning but the loop where the winding handle attaches turns ok but it sounds and feels like there is I cog slipping
    Any ideas on how to fix this myself would be appreciated

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Electraglide

Electraglide Funster

I found Johns Cross to be more than helpful with the parts for my awning good prices as well.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If you give Jan a call on Monday, she will be able to help you 01424-437525

• Like Like x 1
  5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Best to get it looked at properly but we have had a few problems with our Fiamma awning and what I've learned is:

When unwinding (putting it up) check the arms (the things with elbows) open up evenly. We find sometimes one keeps its "elbow" tucked away and you need to grab it and free it.

Ensure the legs are properly stowed away before winding the awning away. Check the feet especially, these need to lie flat against the outer rail.

Put it away before the wind gets up!

From your description it sounds as if the awning was rolled up in a way which caused a crease or fold so that side went in faster. Trying to force it closed may have damaged the gears but if you unwind it fully and then try to wind it in you may clear the problem - unless the gears are stripped of course.

6. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Great reply Jim, I have saved that schematic for future use! Thanks mate.

7. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

i had the same problem and just by chance i was in Eastbourne at the time and drove to johns cross motorhomes and they had the gearbox part on the shelf,i sourced some tools off a mate in eastbourne and fixed it while parked up on a beach.