Fiamma awning and wind speed

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Chrisy, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Chrisy

Chrisy Funster

I know the answer is use your common sense but at what sort of wind speed should you roll them in? We have 4.5m and always use straps to anchor it.

2. laneside

laneside Funster

From what I saw happen to a friends van last year it is the sudden gust that comes from seemable nowhere that does the damage. Unless you are sat under it put the storm straps on almost every time

3. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

and beware the storm straps, after reading such threads on here we bought some ratchet straps attached to some of the fittings that slide into the awning front.

We have now permanently bent the front rail on our awning, so badly it will not go away properly o_O

I think I will be treating mine as a sun shade for nice days only when we get ours swapped

• Like Like x 2
  4. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

I never put mine out in anything above a gentle breeze. Have seen too many damaged including one going right back over the top of the motorhome. It's the inconvenience of it all and cost for putting damage right and new awning. Ours is 6metres long so catches the wind easily. It's a shade if the Suns hot.

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Got so fed up with having to put it away after 10min didn't bother with one on this van not really missed it apart from a few days in Germany a couple of weeks ago when it was 34 every day. Haven't bother with one on the new van we have just ordered.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  6. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

If you do put it out, make sure you use anchor straps......

We put ours out, pegged the legs and went for a long walk with the dog...a heavy windy rain storm came through and when we got back our awning had collapsed due to wind and water...

Expensive mistake.....

7. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Always have one end lower than the other to allow rain to run off!

8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Or fit the centre roof brace.

• Like Like x 1
  9. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

It's those freak winds and storms that turn up unexpected and uninvited and trash the awning that we all hate. At the Crick boatshow one year and it poured down like no ones business. Mine deploys on the left and was literally buckling under the weight of water, even after having it lowered one end. The hymer beside me had his deployed out to the right and in the "eye" of the storm and it had snapped one leg and completely buckled the frame. Mine would have been worse if it hadn't been sheltered by the actual vehicle. Expense act of god.

Also quite noisy if left out overnight and the wind gets up.

Don't think I've deployed mine in a year. If it's sunny, I want the sunshine, if it's wet, I leave it in as I'm hardly likely to sit outside in it.

Think unless you're suffering in +30's and need the shade, leave it in?

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  10. The Wino

The Wino Funster

I always put it away before it looks like it needs to and never leave it out when we aren't there its so quick to put away anyway why not

• Like Like x 2
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I use mine all the time. I use a luggage elastic double over the outer end of each roof beam. Each is attached to two heavy cord guy ropes. One guy rope is pegged at right-angles to the front rail & the other in line beyond the end of the awning. Repeat at the other end of the awning. I never, ever, use the awning without the guy ropes in place and I only take it in when the noise becomes unbearable.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Get an Omnistor fitted.

They are better than Fiamma.

• Like Like x 2
  13. cookie

cookie Funster

we are amazed how everytime we go over Europe how many people wind out their awnings , some put the legs down some dont, most dont tie anything to them, then go off for the day without a care .

14. maison

maison Funster

Some yeas ago, when we were real novices, ( we all were once), we were on a site near Lake Maggiore.

We were sat having a glass of wine when we saw the people next to us wind in their awning. We thought they must be thinking of moving on.

When others started doing the same we just assumed that it was a "moving on day".

When the wind suddenly hit we were hanging on to the awning for about ten minutes. We suffered no damage as a result but had to clear up for the next door pitch who were away.

We gathered up their washing, which was spread about the area, and took down the remains of their caravan awning.

We now always take notice of what our neighbours are doing, never leave out our awning when leaving the site and take it in every evening. Maybe overkill, but we still have our awning!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

A heavy down pour in slovenia last year ripped our awning right off the panel van we had at the time, broke the alloy arms and twisted box section like it was made of cheese, was scary how robust you think these things are and surprising how they snapped and were pulled apart from a down pour, we never leave our awning out anymore unattended.

16. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I've had both. I can't see any important differences

17. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

We have gone through a few good storms with our awning and safari room rigged. We use two tie downs in slot in the front rail and a 50mm ratchet strap over the middle of the awning. We always have the mid point rafter fitted and now have a lengthways rafter that fits to the spring arms. Proper set up is the answer, though there is always a difference in the effort for a weekend or 6 months snowbirding.

18. busby

busby Funster

I cannot understand the use of ratchet straps when used with a spring !!!does not make sense at all,,,,BUSBY:):)

19. busby

busby Funster

When you use a Safari room the wind cannot get under it the same as just using the canopy so much safer,,BUSBY.

20. Lorryman100

Lorryman100 Funster

Shock loading, the spring reduces the shock load on the awning mounting point.