Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
Hi Folks
We have never had the side attachments for the Fiamma feet fitted to the side of the van but I'm starting to wonder whether it would make the awning more (or indeed less) stable if we did that. We had such dire warnings about using it in wind that I end up running outside and rolling it in as soon as it flaps. Does anyone have any thoughts on the relative merits of ground versus side wall fitting?
Mags

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i've used both in the past and no problems whatsoever but ensure you lock the wall brackets off...little slide plate.
best if the brackets are drilled right through the side wall and a spreader plate over the fixings inside or it could rip the screws out if just screwed.

in windy weather its advisable to either wind it in or fit storm straps....but dont put them over the fabric, it will tear.
put them over the frame.

if its really blowing a hooligan then wind it in anyway.

if you arent already aware, you should always have one end of the awning slightly lower to allow water to run off.

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
i've used both in the past and no problems whatsoever but ensure you lock the wall brackets off...little slide plate.
best if the brackets are drilled right through the side wall and a spreader plate over the fixings inside or it could rip the screws out if just screwed.

Have to agree with p john on this regarding side brackets and fixing once saw one that had only been screwed and a gust caught it and had 2 large tears in the side walls as a result.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mmmm - I think we'll stay as we are and pin the uprights to the ground! :Smile:Thanks guys.
i would still advise a storm/tie-down strap if the wind gets up.
it will soon pull the pegs out and flip the awning over the roof, possibly tearing out the awning mountings.:Eeek:

15 quid for a strap or thousands for a new sidewall !!!!

OP
OP
Mags52

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
I should have said - we've got a storm strap. Will use it every time. Thanks for the advice. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back