Free Member
May 31, 2012
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year and still enjoying it
just booked return trip, out in July 14 back in August 15 cost me £50 in tesco vouchers, can't beat it for convenience, tunnel every time.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I've just had a casual look at return prices for our 6m van and the two of us from April.....

I'm shocked :Eeek::Eeek:

Every thing is the wrong side of £200 :eek: ........... is it me?

I've only ever paid around £50 each way between Dover and Calais .......

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I've just had a casual look at return prices for our 6m van and the two of us from April.....

Everyone trying to get out of England before the election! or it the the number of shipping disasters i wonder :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Me too I guess.
Like the convenience of the tunnel but hate the price.
Like the price of the ferry but hate the inconvenience but being retired and having plenty of time not a great hardship for the saving made. Two or three years ago we vowed it'd be tunnel for ever but when the cost doubled we had a rethink.

Never felt the need to come out and strongly defend either after all they're massive companies and neither give a toss about customers. Their only goal is too make as much profit as possible for their shareholders and spend as little as possible on their customers.

When I put up the price comparison in another thread it was for information for others, P&O have an offer on until month end which is for any booking until December.
Good to share.:):)(y)(y)

Is there a code to get the cheaper price just looked at the dates we want about the same as the tunnel

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Yeah DOVER20 or that was it yesterday.

Here it is
For a limited time only, you can save 20% on your crossing from Dover to Calais. Enter promotional code DOVER20 in the discount code box in the fare finder. The offer is valid for breaks of more than 5 days away. If you're looking for a shorter break, take a look at our 5 day special offer below.

Hurry and book today, this discount is only valid for bookings made by 28th February for travel by 11th December 2015.
hr_TaUCvr_AdnKz3Ci4Kd5sBi6_ykJDNL7AhCzd5z3ECY0l4Cj0J5B_y87eHJrZ7o9HPdk_BQn8cbo9hc80rgFN40x8Nh6zYD6LQUwzERxASK8VigDA60mZEGtSCM_6O74K1t5VSDzs1d9P7w16iTj6Xg23J_nF-DM2RuzQERZ_Yp3WLgtTvdRG-q2yZR6rq2Jr_x5Y=s0-d-e1-ft

s.

Allan & Loren

Free Member
Dec 8, 2014
Leyland, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
Since 2014
I'd prefer the tunnel but we can't use it as our RV has LPG conversion which I'm told isn't allowed, so we have to use the ferry.

Haven't tried to hull crossing but probably worth looking into as I agree with funflair that Dover is awful to get to from us.

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Here it is
For a limited time only, you can save 20% on your crossing from Dover to Calais. Enter promotional code DOVER20 in the discount code box in the fare finder. The offer is valid for breaks of more than 5 days away. If you're looking for a shorter break, take a look at our 5 day special offer below.

Hurry and book today, this discount is only valid for bookings made by 28th February for travel by 11th December 2015.
hr_TaUCvr_AdnKz3Ci4Kd5sBi6_ykJDNL7AhCzd5z3ECY0l4Cj0J5B_y87eHJrZ7o9HPdk_BQn8cbo9hc80rgFN40x8Nh6zYD6LQUwzERxASK8VigDA60mZEGtSCM_6O74K1t5VSDzs1d9P7w16iTj6Xg23J_nF-DM2RuzQERZ_Yp3WLgtTvdRG-q2yZR6rq2Jr_x5Y=s0-d-e1-ft

s.

Pretty sure they don't give discount on motorhomes with this code

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Ferry for us too. Suits us and how we travel. Good job really as wouldn't be able to use tunnel anyway now what with lpg

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Ferry for us too. Suits us and how we travel. Good job really as wouldn't be able to use tunnel anyway now what with lpg

Only a problem for those who fual vehicle with LPG not for cooking,heating!

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
I'm quite surprised by the comments, folks unless it's just me it depends a) preference b) circumstance.

Currently still working so quite often have paid an exorbitant sum to go via Brittany ferries. Simple matter of time against cost. In the same way that foot down gets you there quicker but burns more fuel.

For and against both Chunnel & ferry. Whichever just enjoy, life's too dam short to bitch about it

MJG1959

Free Member
Feb 14, 2015
Cleveland UK
Funster No
MH
Exp
Many of us remember the Herald of Free Enterprise, fortunately I wasn't sailing on that particular day.

I do think however the UK to Europe ferry companies have a pretty good safety record compared to rail and road certainly.

I am therefore unsure why you mention this it was many many years ago and I am not sure why it's even relevant TBH.

Unless you could say why of course.

Let's not forget Eurotunnel has had its occasional safety scare too, noticeably involving fires.

phodetheus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Full timer
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
3 months
Its been the tunnel for us as means we don't have to leave our dogs on their own. HOWEVER from now on it will have to be the ferry as our new RV (next month) runs on LPG and we not allowed to use the tunnel :(

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Many of us remember the Herald of Free Enterprise, fortunately I wasn't sailing on that particular day.
I had one of my lorries on that and the Driver was the last body found when it was refloated. It was awful waiting at Zeebrugge for the news, I very nearly beat up a SUN reporter and photographer who was waylaying victims relative with crass question to bring tears for the grieving photos for the paper to print..

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
It's the ferry for us every time. Having driven from Cornwall, it is nice to be able to stretch our legs on the ferry, the dog is fine in the van and I still enjoy that frisson engendered by watching as we pull away from one country and approach another. I don't think you can factor in the cost of food on the ferry against the ability to use your own kitchen facilities on the tunnel - it's only an hour and a half or so and you can always take sandwiches if you need to eat. Even if the tunnel cost less than the ferry we would still prefer to be above ground. I can understand why some prefer the tunnel, particularly if time is of the essence. Thank goodness we aren't all the same.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I use both , But prefer the tunnel for quickness,
Another good reason for the tunnel that hasn't been discussed is the sea condition in the channel especially in winter can be horrendous,
My whole family were on the hovercraft coming back from Calais a few years back and the thirty five minutes crossing took 2 hours,
Luckily we are all good travellers but most of the passengers were violently sea sick,
But it was the best never ending roller coaster I have ever been in my life:ROFLMAO:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

Isn't it due to the ferried can't use heavy oil anymore as from Jan 1st & got to have engines modified /scrubbers fitted ?

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Have used both, but we prefer the Tunnel due to the fact that we have already left dogs in Motorhome on their own for the 2 hour crossing from Larne. The Tunnel is basically a fairly hassle free drive on, drive off 35 minute journey. Tesco vouchers cover the cost apart from having to pay for the doggy checks.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We tend to use the tunnel.

Three main reasons:-
We have a dog so being in the M/H with her is better than her being locked in by herself. Particularly relevant if travelling in the car rather than M/H.

Tesco vouchers. Our three nearest supermarkets are all Tesco so it's a no brainer. For the last seven years have had two free return crossings a year from the vouchers, only paying for our dog. As that money goes directly to DEFRA you can't use vouchers for that.

On our last two ferry crossings the ferries looked "tired" and screaming school kids spoiled any chance of relaxation.

We are booked on the Chunnel at the end of March and can't wait.

Sep 5, 2008
York
Funster No
MH
C Class Bessacarr 769
Exp
Since July 2010
Ferry from Hull usually as we are in York. Have used the tunnel a couple of times after we have visited our daughter who lives in London.

Nijo61

Free Member
Nov 10, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2013
Got to be the tunnel quick to get on and off, have a snack in your own restaurant with excellent washroom facilities. free with tesco vouchers outbound and £117 return. I'm going July coming back end of August - school holidays. It's a bargain well worth the money. I went to London from Darlington by train last week and it cost more than that - and that was just me - not an 8m motorhome 3 bikes and a scooter! Roll on July :)

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years

Book early, we usually pay £66 each way booked in Jan this year hence £88 each way courtesy of Tesco can't beat it !

May 3, 2008
North Wales
Funster No
MH
A class Carthago Chic I47
Exp
34 years
I do think however the UK to Europe ferry companies have a pretty good safety record compared to rail and road certainly.

I am therefore unsure why you mention this it was many many years ago and I am not sure why it's even relevant TBH.

Unless you could say why of course.

Let's not forget Eurotunnel has had its occasional safety scare too, noticeably involving fires.

Re Ferry v Tunnel I remember collecting for the families of those that worked and lost their lives on the Herald of Free Enterprise. The way they were treated by T & Thoresen while the enquiry was ongoing was beyond belief, unpaid wages, no food for their children etc, that is why I will always choose the Tunnel.

Sep 2, 2014
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
Self-converted Van
Exp
Since 2014
Book early, we usually pay £66 each way booked in Jan this year hence £88 each way courtesy of Tesco can't beat it !
Where are you looking? Just looked at P and O Dover to Calais, going in July, coming back in August, £104 return. 7.5 mtr van and two adults.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back