Ferry vs Tunnel (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I wish folks would stop referring to the Tunnel in derogatory terms just because it costs more then the Ferry - the products are completely different although the end result is the same.
I know its down to personal choice and the Tunnel is our preferred choice because we find its convenient and quicker.
Our experiences have been -

With the Tunnel we drive up - press some buttons and get given boarding time - either wait in car park or drive to queue for Customs check - have gas checked (sometimes) to make sure its off and then drive on. Sit in M/Home for half an hour and then drive straight off at other end.

With the Ferry we used to drive up check in and then wait to be called forward - park on boat worrying that people next to us were a bit close and didnt seem to care about opening doors onto M/Home - then climb the stairs (loads of them) or queue for a lift which sometime opens into a kitchen area. Find a seat for the journey if we were lucky for 90mins and then when the call goes out to return to your vehicle - join the melee at the top of the stairs and then climb down the stairs (if thats the right term) again and sit waiting for everyone to get going (sometimes while we were waiting someone would toot their horn which was the signal for others to do the same such fun). Drive off and queue for customs and then we were free.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for and I am sure people have had bad experiences on the Tunnel and also have personal reasons for preferring the Ferry- we had to wait in the Car Park for an hour once due to a fault on a train, but had the same on a couple of Ferry Crossings.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
As you say "personal choice" and I totally agree that for us it's the tunnel every time for speed , comfort and convenience. The additional cost is not a great deal in tems of the cost of a motorhome and the holiday in general.(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we are with you Mr C, devoted chunnel users, various reasons like yours plus dog friendly

our worst experience by far was many years ago when we queued back onto the motorway for hours, no communication, NO TOILETS, not fun with young female family, but not happened since and they now have portaloos on slip road.

I do find it interesting though how strongly you are defending your choice, something I have noticed on here, if people have a different opinion they are often presumed to be wrong :)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
@Mr Colpot I agree with you entirely, well said (y)

I have never used the tunnel due to the significant price difference at the time I wanted to travel, but I'd like to they it one day (maybe this year?) :D

OP
OP
Mr Colpot
Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
Hi DavidG58 - not really defending my choice - just explaining why I think the products are different and expressing a wish that people would stop referring to the Tunnel in derogatory terms just because it costs more.

Last edited:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Tunnel here for all those reasons.. Only had issues once with the tunnel and got a full refund with no problems..
Also fits our (current) lifestyle where due to work commitments or time is limited so we can work.. finish 6pm ish.. Drive straight to the tunnel and be in France nice and quickly.. Get away from Calais and stop for a good night's sleep well before midnight.. To be fresh and ready for the first day away... And our dog is with us and happy on the crossing.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
our worst experience by far was many years ago when we queued back onto the motorway for hours, no communication, NO TOILETS, not fun with young female family, but not happened since and they now have portaloos on slip road.

These days the eurotunnel twitter feed is useful. They respond to tweets and put out frequent reports if there are delays.

Tunnel for me everytime.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I love the tunnel crossing but I also love the ferry, getting to top deck to see the sea!
I feel a bit cheated on the tunnel, not being able to see the crossing.
I would love to do a tunnel crossing to Santander if there was one, can you imaging the time that would take, save on all the cancelled crossings as well!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi DavidG58 - not really defending my choice - just explaining why the products are different and expressing a wish that people would stop referring to the Tunnel in derogatory terms just because it costs more.

I think it applies to most things, some like to do cheap and save every last bean, others value convenience and don't mind paying for it

I know our supermarket sells wine for £2.99, I drink wine but don't buy that one

I am sure there are many more comparisons, but alcohol was my first thought :D

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
regarding tunnel price I used the C&CC last year and got a reduction. This year we are buying a frequent traveller ticket which gets it down to £108 return at non peak times

leeandzed

Free Member
Feb 24, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Don't own yet
Exp
Has anyone been on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry? We booked it for £39 each way a while back and going on 31st March..Takes 4 hours apparently... Then driving down to Southern Spain. Also never driven on the French roads before but gotta be loads better than ours!

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Although I don't have a choice as LPG powered always enjoy the chill out time on the ferry and not a lover of pot holing or mining :rolleyes: so given a choice still the ferry for me (y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Tunnel every time for us for the speed, convenience and because the dogs stay with us. We would accept a far higher price difference than we have actually come across so far.

One thing that I think is a myth is the assertion that the tunnel is always significantly more expensive. For our last trip a couple of weeks ago the difference between the tunnel and the Dover-Calais ferry was less than £20 so not worth worrying about. In the past when checking random dates I would have been able to book the tunnel for significantly less than the ferry if I had wanted to.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
But tunnel only £104 return sharing a frequent traveller scheme...sée my thread on sharing in France forum

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Has anyone been on the Newhaven to Dieppe ferry? We booked it for £39 each way a while back and going on 31st March..Takes 4 hours apparently... Then driving down to Southern Spain. Also never driven on the French roads before but gotta be loads better than ours!
Yup, we did (August 2013) on the overnight............ got off ferry.......drove around the corner..........into the Aire.........sleep for a few hours............ adventure began (y)

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
We came via Dieppe on Wednesday evening without any probs. if you're over 60 you get 20% discount by turning up at the port or by telephone.We slept overnight in the port lorry park in Newhaven which was very tight for space Alan

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
last year we did tunnel out, ferry back. I like both does that make me Bi:worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::giggler:

Me too I guess.
Like the convenience of the tunnel but hate the price.
Like the price of the ferry but hate the inconvenience but being retired and having plenty of time not a great hardship for the saving made. Two or three years ago we vowed it'd be tunnel for ever but when the cost doubled we had a rethink.

Never felt the need to come out and strongly defend either after all they're massive companies and neither give a toss about customers. Their only goal is too make as much profit as possible for their shareholders and spend as little as possible on their customers.

When I put up the price comparison in another thread it was for information for others, P&O have an offer on until month end which is for any booking until December.
Good to share.:):)(y)(y)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Tunnel for me whenever possible. The difference in money is recouped by the convenience; no up and down stairs, queuing for expensive drink and food etc etc

Jun 16, 2014
NOTTINGHAM
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Savannah
Exp
Almost a Newbie but not quite now.
used to take trucks over there on a weekly basis,, depending on cargo we used both ferry and tunnel. On tunnel as a trucker you used to get a meal thrown in,, then they took that away. On the ferries a 3 course meal is thrown in (probably on price but I wasn't paying). Return normally from Holland either Europort or Vlissingen depending on having hazardous goods or not. Now going over in May on ferry as retired and all the time in the world.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
We use the tunnel because of our dog. We don't like the idea of leaving her alone on the noisy and smelly car deck for an hour or so.
On the rare occasion we go without our dog we prefer the ferry, though that's not as often as it was before we stopped smoking.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back