Ferry to Campbeltown re-opens (1 Viewer)

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
The ferry from Ardrossan (Ayrshire) to Campbeltown has re-opened after 71 years. Good news for anyone with motorhome or car/passengers who want to get there quicker, rather than taking the long route.

Time will tell whether it's going to be viable or not. Thought I would post this for anyone thinking of making the trip to Campbeltown or further on up Scotland.

Great weather up here today as well:thumb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-22720764

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
A lovely sea trip in good weather but perhaps a bit pricey at £87 each way for a motorhome (less than 8m). We have just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland and used the twin ferry hop to Tarbert about 1/3 of the way down the Mull of Kintyre. From Gourock to Hunter's Quay (Western Ferries) then Portavadie to Tarbert (CalMac). The combined cost was about £55 each way I think. Slightly confused by the Western Ferries pricing as I bought the ticket at an agent in Gourock and was sold two car+driver tickets for one motorhome, one-way. That is what it appeared to require according to the price list. Then when we got on the ferry, the operator gave us back one ticket and said we would need it for the return trip! Great value so we used the same route up and down.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Once the government subsidy/grant runs out it will close. They haven't even put on a regular schedule. Anyhow, it's a nice drive down the Argyll peninsular and the ferry isn't much faster to get to Glasgow anyway.

Rgds
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
A lovely sea trip in good weather but perhaps a bit pricey at £87 each way for a motorhome (less than 8m). We have just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland and used the twin ferry hop to Tarbert about 1/3 of the way down the Mull of Kintyre. From Gourock to Hunter's Quay (Western Ferries) then Portavadie to Tarbert (CalMac). The combined cost was about £55 each way I think. Slightly confused by the Western Ferries pricing as I bought the ticket at an agent in Gourock and was sold two car+driver tickets for one motorhome, one-way. That is what it appeared to require according to the price list. Then when we got on the ferry, the operator gave us back one ticket and said we would need it for the return trip! Great value so we used the same route up and down.

I only posted for information purposes as the route has now been re-opened and had no idea of cost etc. Agree £87 is a bit pricey. But ferry prices always seem to give us a shock when enquiring, if this new route doesn't pay, it will close before too long.

We keep thinking it would be nice to go back over to Ireland and do the west coast, however, when we looked online the cost of going from Cairnryan to Belfast was around £150 each way............:Eeek:
Slight reduction if you don't mind travelling at an ungodly hour, but still a lot of money.

I suppose any ferry trip is great in "good weather", but we still have awful memories of going from Porstmouth to Le Havre many years ago during stormy weather. It was so bad the crew ran out of brown bags................will say no more:cry::helptitanic:

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I only posted for information purposes as the route has now been re-opened and had no idea of cost etc. Agree £87 is a bit pricey. But ferry prices always seem to give us a shock when enquiring, if this new route doesn't pay, it will close before too long.

We keep thinking it would be nice to go back over to Ireland and do the west coast, however, when we looked online the cost of going from Cairnryan to Belfast was around £150 each way............:Eeek:
Slight reduction if you don't mind travelling at an ungodly hour, but still a lot of money.

I suppose any ferry trip is great in "good weather", but we still have awful memories of going from Porstmouth to Le Havre many years ago during stormy weather. It was so bad the crew ran out of brown bags................will say no more:cry::helptitanic:
My dear old dad could never get over the fact that Rita and I could have a Dover - Calais/Dunkerque return sailing in the MH, for less than a single Ardrossan to Arran sailing. :whatthe:

We'd too would like to go back to Ireland, and do the Atlantic coast, but the ferry costs are prohibitive.

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Ferry crossing between NI and Csotland reputed to be most expensive sea crossing in world !

I could believe that, but how do they arrive at these prices?:Sad:

There never seems to be any shortage of passengers on them, either freight or regular travellers:RollEyes:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Ferry to Campbelltown re-opens

I've only been by road and what a journey, what a desolate place, I don't know if the RAF base is still operational or not but I think that was all that was there.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
We went down there a couple of years ago, just because we'd never been. Visited Gigha, nice island but not a lot else down there. Campbelltown itself is dire.

The ferries from Cairnryan to Northern Ireland do not get, and never have had, any subsidy, that's why they look high in comparison to other Scottish fares. Nearly all the other ferries in Scotland are heavily subsidised.

Rgds
Bill

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
We live in N Ireland and when going to france Allways went Larne stranrare down through Scotland and England then Dover Dunkirk.Very expensive and long drive about 400 mls.Now we drive less than 200miles to Roslare (southern ireland)overnight ferry to Cherbourg,either with Celtic Link or Irish Ferries(cheaper by far than the old way)Just back unfortunately very rough comming home but that can happen especially early in the year.Presto

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Irish Ferries get a subsidy but I don't know about Celtic Link. Friend of mine in NI goes Belfast Liverpool now instead of Belfast Cairnryan.

Rgds
Bill

presto

Free Member
Jul 3, 2010
n Ireland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 1990
Irish Ferries get a subsidy but I don't know about Celtic Link. Friend of mine in NI goes Belfast Liverpool now instead of Belfast Cairnryan.

Rgds
Bill
Celtic Link must get it as well Bill they are a good bit cheaper than Irish Ferries and I think Celtic Link dogs go free.Presto

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I

The problem with the Ardrossan to Campbeltown crossing is the south of Arran and Plada, it is prone to rough seas and the vessel they have allocated to the route is notoriously bad in these conditions.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
We have just returned from 3 weeks in Scotland and used the twin ferry hop to Tarbert about 1/3 of the way down the Mull of Kintyre. From Gourock to Hunter's Quay (Western Ferries) then Portavadie to Tarbert (CalMac). .

Did you have any problem getting on or off the ferries?
I had a problem with the Largs - Cumbrae ferry last week which caused some cosmetic damage to the rear chassis extension, I am now a little wary of using the small ferries.:cry:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Ferry to Campbelltown re-opens

I used to have a problem getting onto the ferry before the Skye bridge was built, I used to have to go to Stornoway with a 44ft artic from Uig to Harris. I've seen some touring coaches badly damaged, Cal Mac had a regular issue of insurance claim forms. The problem was that the loading ramp area was solid concrete so the ship moved with the tide. It was the only way we could go because of the size of ship necessary to be able to carry very large vehicles. The Captain once said he wouldn't bring me back over so I found a building company and asked them to meet me with a load of railway sleepers, when he realised that I wasn't taking no for an answer he let me get on.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Did you have any problem getting on or off the ferries?
I had a problem with the Largs - Cumbrae ferry last week which caused some cosmetic damage to the rear chassis extension, I am now a little wary of using the small ferries.:cry:

No problems: in fact the ferries were not that small - the Calmac one was similar in size to that used between Lochaline and Fishnish on Mull. Over the years we have had the occasional scrape on the ramps: Corran comes to mind, but when the van had its annual service in 2012 I had the tow-bar removed and that has given a better 'departure angle'. Never towed anything and it has relieved the back end of some 25-30 kg as well as reducing the overhang.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back