Ferry ramps - overhang issue? (1 Viewer)

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Although we were thinking of going over to Espana via the Chunnel in December because we are told that there are no steep ramps imvolved, having looked at the new Poole/santander LD service which is local to us, the ferry option is becoming quite overpowering.
But with my scooter rack, i have an overhang which from the end of the rear tyre to the end of the rack is 8ft/2.45mtres.
I have asked LD whether they can safely accomodate and await their response. Luckily too, I know one of the stevedores at Poole who will have a look at the ramps actually in use on their vessel and will let me have some feedback.
In the meantime, does anyone have any tips/experiences please?
Thanks

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Although we were thinking of going over to Espana via the Chunnel in December because we are told that there are no steep ramps imvolved, having looked at the new Poole/santander LD service which is local to us, the ferry option is becoming quite overpowering.
But with my scooter rack, i have an overhang which from the end of the rear tyre to the end of the rack is 8ft/2.45mtres.
I have asked LD whether they can safely accomodate and await their response. Luckily too, I know one of the stevedores at Poole who will have a look at the ramps actually in use on their vessel and will let me have some feedback.
Thanks

Is the scooter rack likely to bottom out? If not then the overhang will be considerably less, possibly by as much as the .45 metres or a tad more.

OP
OP
sciac2001
Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Thanks for response.
Bottoming out is a concern. The steep angle of some of the ferry ramps means that it may well strike the floor. I will have to go in ultra slowly if it looks like it will bottom out. I am hoping that the ferry company may be able to shed some light.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chudders

Free Member
Jan 17, 2009
Newquay, Cornwall
Funster No
On my last van which was a bit low with longish overhang I used to approach and leave the ferries at an angle of about 45 degrees if I thought I might bottom out. Also tide height I found made a difference in some places. At high tide the ferry was almost level whilst at low tide there was a dip between the ramp and up on to the ferry ramp.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks
Just looked up the model you have, the overhang is not so much at all, shouldn't be a problem.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I had a "B" class yank with an overhang of approx. 10ft and it was fairly low to the ground... and only ever ground out once...

So you should be OK...:thumb:

You could always ask to go on last, when the ship will be lower in the water... :winky:::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back