Ferry Prices / Route Advice

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jock Mcdee, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Jock Mcdee

Jock Mcdee Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    I live in fife scotland and am looking to go to spain in july the 4th for 2 wks 2 adults 2 kids, just got price from newcastle-amsderdam £552 return then checked dover to calia sea france and po £120 one way so at the moment . it will cost me about £260 aprox diesel return to drive to dover + £240 return ferry so a total of £500 so i would probably be easier just driving 2 hrs to newcastle and paying £552 return to amsderdam and save the driving 8hrs to dover however i will have more driving from amsderdam , but at least in europe and started holiday, does anybody have a better idea for crossing or do you think i,m doing it the correct way.? i would appreciate any ideas we are open to any option Thanks:thumb: John

2. Loujess

Loujess Read Only Funster

Hiya Jock. As one who is married to a Jock, I would defo go via Dover Calais. Marina Parade is a free stopover at Dover, although the kids might protest, but I would go from Dover to Calais and my favoured website is www.directferries.com, but at the mo, Norfolk Ferries looks better. However, at the dates you are going, maybe you have researched enough but I think just watch those crafty wee b-----ers, they just want your money. :Laughing::Laughing::Laughing:

Ivy

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi John

I agree with Ivy, when we lived in Ayrshire we always went to Dover..

You don't say which part of Spain, but with only two weeks it's pushing it a bit to go that far .. you'll spend at least half your holiday behind the wheel, not much fun for the kids.

France has much to offer, the west coast has excellent beaches and (normally) great weather and IMO a much friendlier MH destination than Spain .. It also benefits from a huge number of cheap or free aires..

whatever you decide good luck

Jim

4. CarolynandMike

CarolynandMike Read Only Funster

Be careful with the terms and conditions of ferry companies. Last year, I looked at Norfolk Line which were slightly cheaper than Sea France/P&O. However, they wanted a lot more money for changing a booking - the others only charge a fee of about £10. Norfolk Line has recently been taken over by DFDS.

Carolyn
    :Cool:

5. SilverF1

SilverF1 Funster

Using Eurotunnel to Calais on 14th July, return 18th (2 weeks later) cheapest return fare combination is £145, dearest £189. Depends on the actual travel time on the day. Campervan +2 adults.

6. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just in case you don't believe Jim, I'll add that that's not a holiday it's an endurance event. A good 1000 miles, each way, just to the tip and not the usual holiday region of Spain.

I'll toss in La Baule, partly because it came up last week and partly because it's said to be the best beach in France and I got my feet burned on the sand there once. It's 550 miles. Give it some thought.

7. MisterED

MisterED Read Only Funster

Tunnel with Tesco !

Hi Jock

We are from Aberdeenshire and have done the Newcastle to ijmuden run several times albeit with the MG:Cool:

With the Motorhome we use the tunnel Friday night to the borders Saturday to Felixstowe Sun AM early train 20 mins and your over.

Tesco do 3 to 1 on the vouchers and the normal fare jus booked for easter and summer is 120 to 140 return dependent on time of day.

Take Care
    Terry

8. sedge

sedge Funster

Tunnel isn't at Felixstowe?????? you mean Folkestone!!!! It's on a different coast LOL

9. breeks

breeks Read Only Funster

spain

hi jock went to spain in july. camp sites were very expensive at that time july august worth checking them out before you go.:Eeek:

10. Jock Mcdee

Jock Mcdee Read Only Funster

Thanks to everybody for the advice i will let you know what i decide, cheers John:thumb:

11. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

suggest you consider the Euro Tunnel

We travel a lot over on the Euro Tunnel. It is easy to get to on the M20 and the otherside you can get on the main routes easy.

I sometimes drive up to Deft (just this side of Amsterdam) I have also used the Harwich Hook service which again is near to Deft.. but the for me going South it is the tunnel, faster and more easier to use than the ships.. you get to stay in the camper and it is only 35 minutes crossing time. plus we have a dog and that is good for her as well.

The drive to Spain is long and hard. We tend to go to the South of France.. not recommended in July/August.. But at other times it is good. We never go unless we have three weeks as one wek is in effect used to travel up or down.. gives us two weeks on a site.

Have driven to Spain a few times, gone over the mountains through Andora and the longer way round via the French route then in to Spain along the Costa's .. roads are not good unless you pay for the motorways.. expensive. France is not cheap on the motorways, but the main roads are good and free.

Which ever way you go have a great time and plan well for the trip, it is an adventure, not like just going to a local camp site so thought has to be given to the trip.

Bob:thumb:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  12. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

If you belong to Camping Club they have an offer with norfolk line, 27 GBP each way Dover <> Calais. Only constraint is you have to travel out on a Sunday and return on a Friday.

Might be worth looking at even for one way, compared to the other prices I am seeing, even if you add the cost of joining CC?

David

13. lorger

lorger Funster

Hi John
    As you know we are from Dumfries so just a little bit less than you to drive. We have done dover -calais, eurotunnel and both hull to zeeburgge and rotterdam for the extra price we pay for the hull crossings i dont really think it is worth it we are thinking next time of dover on way there and return via hull. The reason for this is when we head off we leave dfs about 5pm so miss all rush hour traffic on way down but we come home daytime crossing so takes a few hours longer due to traffic. So if we do the return via hull we will save that hassle.
    When we booked it last year hull-rotterdam we booked it with the cc and got the return for under £400. As for driving to spain for a 2 week holiday i havent done yet but we did drive to lake garda last summer(2010) it was 1000 miles from my house to campsite we stopped twice in germany and a 3 night stop in austria and glad i did as wouldnt have wanted to do it all in one and we where away for 3 weeks.
    Hope this helps a bit
    Gerry

14. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

Sorry - that is dover <> dunkirk :Blush:

15. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Have you considered the cost of the road journey to Hull and/or Dover with the new price of diesel, plus the planned further increase in April?

16. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Ferry prices/Route Advice

Hi, the motorway tolls lst October from Calais to Barcelona worked out about £120 ONE WAY!!
    ( went via the Millau bridge-fabulous! )

It may pay you to consider the Santander ferry. It may be expensive to start with, but when you take into account fuel, wear and tear and tolls, it may be the cheaper option in the long run.

Good luck
    S:thumb:

17. hilldweller

You've not heard about the new road tunnel ?

Come on, keep up at the back.

18. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster

Brian, where did you stay when you were here! I'm unable to find an Aire near the beach and the closest Camping site is Camping*** Le Bois d'Amour - LA BAULE. WE will be in this area in Early September and fancy spending a few days wild camping if possible. If not, then i guess it's the camp site.

Regards,
    Philip

19. hilldweller

We were on a boat ! Long before MHs, we hired a boat on the river Villaine and chugged up to Rennes but the last few days we used the car to explore and ended up at La Baule, a never to be forgotten place. So it's on that big list of places to re-visit. We visited Britanny a few times with Eurocamp, it's a lovely area.

The things that stick in the memory, our two very young daughters pointing, pointing at passing wind surfers, one was naked. I wonder if they still remember their first penis.

Boating holidays are very good, very much like MH but more restricted on where you can go. I recommend the Canal du Midi to anyone who wants change from the MH. And the Thames, that is like cruising all of England's history.