ferry or drive ? please help

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by peterspark, Mar 16, 2009.

1. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

hi we are going to spain in the end of may to costabrava with are 5 th wheeler . It will be are first time in europe so can any one help with this , should we drive down through france or should we get the ferry from portsmouth to bilbao ? thanks for any advice
    peter:thumb:

2. JJ

JJ Funster

Greetings...

Obviously I don't know your mpg but in general I have always found driving to be more economical than going by sea... I also enjoy the touring rather than the leaning over the rail being ill...

3. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

maybe about 15 mpg

4. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

4 years ago, with a caravan, we booked to drive through France to Spain and then to return by sea, actually from Santander. When we arrived at Santander the ferry had been canceled. We had no option but to drive back through France, but this time in about a day and a half, to get a ferry from Caen instead. It was like going to Inverness to catch the ferry to be told it was leaving from lands end.

So now personally I would stick to driving through France. I am sure it is more economical, and unless you are in a real rush probably more enjoyable. And if there are any problems with the ferry, then there are lots more options than there are on the relatively few Spanish crossings.

5. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

ferry or drive?

many thanks for that , i have allowed 2days travel to spain and back again and three weeks in spain
    peter:BigGrin:

6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That's a fair drive with a 5er in two days .. shortest route around 750 ml .. doable but I would plan for at least one more stop rather than arrive late at night knackered..

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

hi Peter,

depends on how much time you have and your finances.
    portsmouth / bilboa isnt cheap. work out your ferry cost and your fuel cost for both options bearing in mind you still have to travel across spain anyway. for online maps try Via michelin....excellent mapping.

we drove down through france to the south coast then followed the coast to castellion.....fantastic scenery and roads, once you get past paris. the further south the more dramatic/rugged it becomes.
    we used the N roads to the west of paris, via Reims, Troyes, Nevers, Claremont ferrand then took the free motorway (A75/E11) then the A9/E15 to Perpignan then the AP7/E15 all the way to Benicassim.
    a couple of tolls on the AP7 but we werent charged for some reason:Cool:

BTW....we took 4 days but only drove 200mls per day.

if you take the A75 you pass over the Millau viaduct, one of our main stopping points on route....amazing bit of engineering but not good for the vertigo....nearly 800ft (240mtr) above the valley floor at its highest point.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  8. pappajohn

just checked and the ferry is 31 hours.
    a long time staring at water then another 500mls/ 8 hours drive across spain.

9. pappajohn

just done a calculation on the ferry price....

assuming a 2mtr high towcar, 4 mtr high X 9mtr long 5er.
    end of may return 3 weeks later.....
    2 people....inboard cabin.

that'll be £1055 thank you, plus fuel for 500mls through spain each way.

10. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

we be going on friday travel down to dover stay near (any good sites near dover?)then get the ferry saturday then travel to leon stop there and get to spain on the sunday night this is :Doh: does this sound right or am i bit to keen?
    many thanks peter:Eeek:

11. pappajohn

616 miles...in one go....:Eek!::Eeek:

i reckon that will be around 12 to 15 hours non stop bearing in mind the speed restictions on your rig.

personally id stop off elsewhere as well.....the drive is part of your holiday after all,

12. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

hi any ideas where on the way ?

13. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi Peter
    We've done calais to Barcalona in one go, and our advise is ''Don't do-it''
    Personally i'd aim to do 400miles straight off the ferry, then finish the journey the next-day.
    In the past we've been fixated on getting-there so we can have more time diving and less time driving, in the future we intend to take longer getting-there and returning because we've seen nothing of france :Doh:

regards....nige

14. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

ok thanks for that :Smile: i will try a work out a route and the best time to catch the ferry
    your p:thumb:eter

15. pappajohn

the good thing about the french.....they love motorhomes.
    nearly every town and village will have somewhere to park up for the night...even small villages have a municipal campsite somewhere close by.
    they dont seem to have the "idiot" element that we do....no drunken yobs banging on your van walls during the night, no "boyracers" revving engines at all hours.
    normally quite and civilized....and cheap.
    Oh!! and not many height barriers.

16. staging lady

staging lady Funster

Don't know if this will help but not all campsites are open this time of year.
    This link will let you search for an aire in the departments you are going thru where you can stop overnight.
    CAMPINGCAR-INFOS. Click on the department. Don't ever stay on a motorway aire- it's too risky. Look for an aire in a small town village near to the motorway.
    There are two nice campsites we used on the way down and back up. One was in Beaune, Camping Les Bouleaux, quiet new toilet block heated, good for overnight stop. I loved this as it was in wine country.
    Camping Les Bouleaux , Beaune Campsite review I put in campings beaune and it came up with this review.

On the opposite side of the country the campsite is good at La Souterraine; at the side of a lake, walk into town, own water electricity, restaurant that locals from miles around come to eat at. We had to book in November lunchtime!! If you have time you can get the train to paris from the station, Fairly reasonable walking distance from site. Have a good trip.
    Lucille

17. peter marshall

peter marshall

Run to spain

Hi we did 8 weeks in france 2008, good roads, the viaduct was excellent, we hope to go to spain (Benicasson) 1st April Dover Dunkirk 1st stop in France then take it from there on the way down proberbly 2 or 3 more stops, but we are planning to go for 8 weeks again so have time to drive on or not as we wish, but we think this is the preferd way to go, so enjoy your hols. :thumb::thumb::thumb:. Peter & Lynn

18. peterspark

peterspark Deleted User

many thanks to all ,roll on may spain here we come:Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool:

19. nannyrose

nannyrose Read Only Funster

Ferry or drive

Hi
    I have been from Bilbao to Girona Costa Brava,it is about 630 kms and took 8 hours,so as you arrive all refreshed from ferry,it is a possible day journey down through .I have also driven from Caen to Girona but that is about 1035kms and takes about 11 hours.Although ferry to Bilboa is more expensive you save money on fuel and possibly overnight stop.However you go have a great holiday!!

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We chose Dover/Calais, the Bilboa prices nearly brought on a heart attack.

From memory Bilbao was £700+, D/Calais was £58.

I recon £250 fuel and camping and we get to see a load of France.