Ferry: Ireland Spain or France with dog (1 Viewer)

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
We are looking to tour UK then go to Eire and hope to catch a ferry to Spain (do they go to Spain?) or France so that we can make our way to Spain. Question: Is it possible to do the Eire ferries (UK/Eire? Spain (or France) with a dog. Looking at late August.

Thanks for any help that may be given.:)

Dec 28, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van conversion I think!
Exp
I'm a newbie aug 14
Hi I think most ferries take dogs but do not let them up on deck with you. They stay in the car or mh. I only use p and o ferries and I know they take dogs in cars from Dover to Calais.
I think Brittany ferries have kennels. Hopefully someone else can be more help
Enjoy your travels

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
Yes, they do France....
But not Spain...... They used to travel Bilbao (I think)... alas no more.
Check Rosslare/Cherbourg... also Dublin routes too.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
What dog have you got ... if its a small one it's possible to for it to discretely 'accompany' you up to the upper decks on the Irish ferries ... :wink: I know 'cause I've done it with 2 small dogs in carriers ...

sadlonelygit

Free Member
Jan 28, 2014
forest of dean
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
since 1975
I wouldn't advise doing a 24hr ferry crossing with a dog stuck in the mh.
If you are crossing the channel check if the operator allows pets as some still don't have the inbound facilities which means you can't use the outbound, even though there is nothing to do.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
With brittany ferries you can go Cork to Roscoff and about once a week you can sail Roscoff to Bilbao. Dogs are put in kennels though there are a few dog friendly cabins if you book well in advance. Have a look at the BF website for details.
I described our experience of travel by ferry to Spain with a dog in our blog - click on the B by my name on the left.

The cost of all those ferries will add up!

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Would only ever use the "Tunnel" when travelling to the continent with le chien. We may be considered soft but there is no way we would leave him in the m/home or on board kennel during a sea crossing.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Would only ever use the "Tunnel" when travelling to the continent with le chien. We may be considered soft but there is no way we would leave him in the m/home or on board kennel during a sea crossing.

Exactly the same for us. Tunnel or a pet friendly cabin.

AuldCodger

Free Member
Nov 25, 2009
?
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
What dog have you got ... if its a small one it's possible to for it to discretely 'accompany' you up to the upper decks on the Irish ferries ... :wink: I know 'cause I've done it with 2 small dogs in carriers ...

Sorry Minx but do you not feel that if spotted you are giving yet more fuel to the ever growing anti dog lobby ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Sorry Minx but do you not feel that if spotted you are giving yet more fuel to the ever growing anti dog lobby ?
Nope ... we only take our 2 smaller dogs with us and they have soft type carriers which look like sports bags, they stay in them all the time and we just unzip the end flap a bit so we can give them treats/drink or a stroke etc. We also make sure we sit well out of the way so as not to offend anyone and also so we are not disturbed either ... usually by the kids running around! Even those sitting very close to us have never known we had dogs with us!

Also, some ferry companies actually allow you to take pets up in carriers anyway as 'hand luggage' ... if you don't have a car and are a foot passenger you don't have much choice as some ferries don't have kennels anyway.

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
Try Stena Line (Rosslare - Cherbourg)
AFAIK taking your dog is no problem. It's an eighteen hour crossing but you can visit your dog at specific times in its kennel.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back