Ferry from Reggio di calabria to Messina Summer 2010

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by adrenalinefx, Apr 13, 2010.

1. adrenalinefx

adrenalinefx

Hi.... Just searching for a bit of advice hope someone can help. We're planning to take our motor home down through Italy this year and cross to Sicily. I was wondering whether anyone could give me some help on ferry companies which will take our van (approx 8m with bike rack) for the crossing and how to book with them in advance....... also any tips about sites in Sicily would be very much appreciated.... THANKS......:BigGrin: Helen.....

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I asked that question last year, got some answers, so use the SEARCH facility at the top of the page to find these.

As far as I recall it was just turn up and go like a bus service. Very enthusiastic reports of Sicily.

3. gozomike

gozomike Funster Life Member Life Member

Hi

The twice I have driven down I have used the ferry from Villa San Giovanni to Messina which is just 8.5 miles north of Reggio. It is a shuttle service with no need to book. Each time there has been plenty of room & the ferries will take large vehicles. For my small MH the cost was €32.

I have used two sites from the ACSI guides one at Marinello which was fine, the other was Camp la Timpa in Acireale the site is OK but it is terraced and would not be so good for a large MH.

It's best to avoid Catania when driving - It's mad!!!!!!!

I may do the trip again in September.

Mike

4. adrenalinefx

adrenalinefx

Thanks for your help.... thought it might be the case of just turning up but always best to be forewarned and prepared..will check out those sites in Sicily.....