Ferry Denmark to Sweden

Discussion in 'Denmark Norway Sweden Finland' started by TerryL, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Planning to use this short ferry crossing, Puttgarden to Rodby, in early June as Mrs L doesn't like boats! Does anyone know if you can just turn up or do you have to book? I don't like planning too far ahead and the ferry website doesn't cover this point. I suppose I could of course book online a couple of days before but that will depend on getting an internet connection.

2. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

Haven't used this crossing - but I am guessing you have already thought of just going through Denmark and using the bridges? You can also just use the one bridge and very short ferry Helsingor/Helsingborg -to Sweden if thats your destination? at least 2 ferry companies doing this crossing and you can just turn up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Actually, I got the header really wrong - I'm looking at GERMANY to DENMARK, which is the ferry I'm interested in - surprised someone hasn't corrected me yet!

Yep, when we cross Denmark to Sweden I'm looking at using the bridges - it's little difference in mileage or cost. But thanks anyway.

4. lorger

lorger Funster

If your wanting to go Germany to Denmark you don't need a ferry just drive if she doesn't like sailing, or to miss the charges for the bridge get the ferry from Sweden to Germany longer crossing though.

To help answer your question although I haven't used ferry mentioned any we used a couple of years ago we just turned up it did work out slightly more expensive than the website the day before.

5. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Just turn up, but if you're traveling from the north east via Amsterdam just drive up via Jutland -Fyn. Much cheaper.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  6. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Was just going to:)

It's a turn up and join the que operation. No booking required. To get to Sweden it's either bridge or similar ferry operation from Frederickshaven - Gotenburg which is cheaper

Lovely trip.....jealous! Especially when you get to Sweden. Viking museum in Rotskild worth a visit... (Denmark)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Thanks, looked at that, it's quite a bit longer but maybe go that way if weather looks iffy. Or if we've the time on the way back, have a better look at Denmark.

8. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Denmark a bit flat and boring a bit like the UK :)

9. lorger

lorger Funster

I agree Denmark is flat, have to disagree with the boring part maybe just to you. Also don't think the UK is that flat.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Just used the Rostock to Gedster route think thats the one you are considering ?
    OK to turn up there is an automatic ticket machine or a pay booth. Was busy with lorries a few days ago so in the summer you may have to wait to get on, easy to book online and take your ticket on a phone/ tablet.. You wont get their smile discount if you do it that way, but its a bit of a con because firstly you have to get the card by using the service once, then you have to book some days/weeks ahead when its busy.
    NB they put the prices up on the website by €30 during the German bank holiday.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Actually looking at Puttgarden to Rodby, which is a turn-up-and-pay as well. Will keep Rostock in mind though, thanks.