Ferry crossing. How accurate do I need to be with my length!! (1 Viewer)

Feb 26, 2013
Pinar de Campoverde, Spain
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Too excited to wait for Lincoln show to test out the new motorhome so we are going to head off to France for 2 weeks on 5th September. I have never used the ferries before but have found what looks like a good price through Direct Ferries sailing from Dover to Dunkirk with DFDS for £96 return. My question is this: how accurate do you need to be with the length? Our motorhome is 7.27 metres long but there is a bike rack on the back which will remain folded as the bikes are in the garage. When I look at booking it asks me for the make, model, length and height of the motorhome. If I add 25cm to allow for the rack on the back the cost of the ferry jumps to £156 with DFDS or £131 with P&O. Can I just put the actual dimensions of the vehicle or will I live to regret it. Would welcome comments from anyone with experience of using the ferries please. :france:

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
They ask for the make model height & length of the motorhome
If they don't specifically say "include" bike racks etc, then I wouldn't ;).

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
They ask for the make model height & length of the motorhome
If they don't specifically say "include" bike racks etc, then I wouldn't ;).
That's what I was thinking but wondered if anyone had been challenged on their length.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I cannot say that this will always work, but I have travelled with many ferry companies. We are 7.3m and I always book the up to 7m ticket, never had a problem yet ;-)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I got caught out with Brittany Ferries, though not quite in the same circumstances. Because we have a box on our bike rack, when booking I used to give the total length of the vehicle including the box. However, it is a bit cheaper if I book using the actual length of the vehicle and then tick the box to say it has a bike rack.

So I also suggest use the length of the vehicle without the bike rack, especially as it is folded.

Deleted User
That's what I was thinking but wondered if anyone had been challenged on their length.

Don't know about the operators you mention but Brittany Ferries seem to have purges every so often and do have lengths marked out on the ground at the booths. Only ever been given a cursory check once in many crossings and never been checked with a tape measure.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
I'm not sure now whether it was height or length but on the Dover/Calais crossing a couple of years ago it turned out that we were only a couple of inches out on our stated dimensions but when we got to the check-in they said our van was oversize compared to the measurements we had stated and we had to pay an excess

Nov 24, 2008
Anywhere that takes our fancy
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since july 2009 And Still Going Strong
As said already you will more than likely not get checked. Some have never been measured, depends on the person at the checkin desk I guess on the day.
You'll probably find in the booking terms and conditions it will say anything protruding from the original body of the vehicle. Which would mean the bike rack and even a tow ball if one fitted, also covers surfboards and the like on top if they are longer than the vehicle.

Its a big price increase if you do get measured though.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a fiamma bike rack which by removing two small bolts at the bottom , pull the bottom outwards then lift and the top unhooks.
Five minutes at most and leave the rack at home, if yours is the same (y)

ColinandDawn

Free Member
Feb 20, 2012
England
Funster No
MH
Home Brew
Exp
Yes
@Coolbeanz

Is it possible to unbolt the cycle rack and carry it in your motorhome until you arrive in France?

Regards,

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
Do they check at le shuttle as well??
Eurotunnel don't ask length, you just select camper van and then tick if you have roof rack/bikes or trailer etc. As I don't carry bikes on the rack I have always ticked no to bikes and never had a problem.

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
They might well check but you don't have to declare the length when booking the tunnel. 1 price per campervan/motorhome of any length

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
They might well check but you don't have to declare the length when booking the tunnel. 1 price per campervan/motorhome of any length
Never had them check the length when I have used the shuttle. No need given that they do not ask you what your length is and the price is the same. A VW camper pays the same as a 35ft RV.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

No. You don't give them vehicle dimensions or weight when you book.

The "Campervan" category is a catch all that covers everything from a Romahome to the biggest Yank gin palace.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No. You don't give them vehicle dimensions or weight when you book.

The "Campervan" category is a catch all that covers everything from a Romahome to the biggest Yank gin palace.

The only things you need to declare are bike racks and trailers.
Beat you to it Nick ...... you snooze you loose ... :D

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
We get measured every time we travel with Braittany ferries. Two girls and tape measure normally. We are only 27' 4" but for some reason look a lot longer
On Poole docks there are markings on the ground which easily show the staff the "real" length of the vehicle, they just get the tape out for effect.;)
manhattan63tr.jpg

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
We get measured every time we travel with Braittany ferries. Two girls and tape measure normally. We are only 27' 4" but for some reason look a lot longer

Two girls with a tape measure,but for some reason look a lot longer mmm!:oops:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Two years ago we were measured with a surveyors wheel by Brittany Ferries at Portsmouth.
Last year our length was checked against the grid that is now marked out in the tarmac approach to the departure booth. Use of a cycle rack put another £10 on the fare in each direction. Those found to be over their declared length had to pay extra before they were allowed onto the ferry.
Brisey.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Don't know about the operators you mention but Brittany Ferries seem to have purges every so often and do have lengths marked out on the ground at the booths. Only ever been given a cursory check once in many crossings and never been checked with a tape measure.[/QUOTEkings
Hi.
Been caught out at booths,by the markings at the booths Dover/Calais,but this was at 60' plus loads,however, for peace of mind,i have booked +7mtrs for Cairnryan/belfast Ret. As i am to old to handle the hassle over .2 of a mtr.But other things.......:mad:
Tea Bag

OP
OP
Coolbeanz
Feb 26, 2013
Funster No
MH
Giottiline T60
Exp
Since March 2013
All booked, sailing on 5th September, can't wait. Bike rack will be removed tomorrow and stored at home so I don't even need to worry about length. Now to post another thread about eastern France!! :active::party::party::party:

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Too excited to wait for Lincoln show to test out the new motorhome so we are going to head off to France for 2 weeks on 5th September. I have never used the ferries before but have found what looks like a good price through Direct Ferries sailing from Dover to Dunkirk with DFDS for £96 return. My question is this: how accurate do you need to be with the length? Our motorhome is 7.27 metres long but there is a bike rack on the back which will remain folded as the bikes are in the garage. When I look at booking it asks me for the make, model, length and height of the motorhome. If I add 25cm to allow for the rack on the back the cost of the ferry jumps to £156 with DFDS or £131 with P&O. Can I just put the actual dimensions of the vehicle or will I live to regret it. Would welcome comments from anyone with experience of using the ferries please. :france:

Think only BRITTANY ask if you have a cycle rack fitted,,BUSBY.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I used to work for the management of a ferry company. Why can customers not just be honest. If the ferry company asks for the length of your unit, they mean the length of your unit! How would you feel if you were the customer left off a full ferry because a couple of dozen others had underdeclared their length, you'd be asking for compensation! This has happened. Be honest with height, and length, it makes the ferry operators job much easier, and yes, they try and make a profit, that's what all companies do, not just ferry companies.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If they say it's too long with cycle rack, just reverse into a nearby wall, reducing the length accordingly :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back