Ferry crossing booked !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by roadster55, Jul 14, 2016.

1. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

I've taken the plunge and booked my ferry crossing from Portsmouth to Cherbourg at beginning of September on the fast crossing (you have to reverse aboard so the reversing camera on my van will come in handy!).
    I already had a voucher from Brittany Ferries due to having to cancel my crossing in April due to mum's death - still awaiting result of police investigation so no inquest yet, but I can't hang around waiting for that for ever, so I've had to appoint a legal representative to be notified and attend - not cheap but it frees me from forever waiting and also she'll know what to ask.
    So I phoned their bookings office and spoke to a lovely lady who basically turned into my travel agent and managed to use up all of my voucher aside from £1 ! She's organised for me to cross as described, but to return from Roscoff in Brittany to Plymouth, longer crossing but once I arrive only an hour from home, and I've got a cabin on that boat because it's a longer crossing in the evening. That will save me spending a night in Portsmouth or Poole.
    Have found some cheap guidebooks on amazon and ebay to historical sites in France from Roman to Medieval, the idea being now I haven't got the dog I'll be able to visit all those places where having a pet makes it difficult. I'm also confident that my little van will be able to reach them all without becoming stuck fast down a French lane - if she can reach places down Cornish and Devon lanes then France won't be a problem!

• Like Like x 10
  2. Dognewf

Dognewf Funster

i am on that one 2nd September 7.30 am.

3. Mikey RV

Mikey RV Funster

Have a good trip, we have booked our ferry but not until November 12th.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

Close but not quite, shame.

5. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Good news I hope you are going to do a blog like you did of the uk ! I really loved the photos of the scenery and food !

6. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

When I return I'll get some stuff up on here. At the moment the internet access on the go is one of my budget cuts to make this trip affordable, I'll only have a bog standard phone for emergencies I'm afraid. Sorry.

7. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Never mind I can wait. We are the same not sure about what internet access to use on holidays yet!

8. roadster55

roadster55 Funster

I'm usually so knackered by the end of the day that after a cuppa and a bite to eat, I just climb into the sleeping bag and pass out - probably keeping any other vans nearby awake with my snoring!

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

It's a great crossing. Did it last year and would do it again :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. scotzsue

scotzsue Funster

Also booked ferries for our autumn trip taking in 2 motoGPs

• Like Like x 1
  11. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

We've just booked with Brittany using our Club Voyage card.
    November, Plymouth-Roscoff out, Ret February, St Malo-Plymouth at a very good £226.

One thing I did notice was that there are very few ferries returning to Plymouth on a DAY SAILING this winter. The St Malo ferry was the only one between December and March.
    Loads of them if you're happy to have a night sailing and pay for a cabin, (who would want a 'Reserved Seat'). The night sailings were more expensive anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1