ferry charges from calais to dover (1 Viewer)

lady jann

Free Member
Apr 18, 2008
welsh border
Funster No
MH
hymer
Exp
approx 10 yrs
Hi Funsters , we have recently returned from a very enjoyable trip to the continent ,
we sailed with p&o without a return ticket for £56.27 to france booked and paid for on the same day , on our return we booked and sailed on the same day being advised that the cast would be 98. 50 eurs when our card bill arrived we were charged £176.57 i e 198.50 eurs ,
when protesting we were advised that the fare was correct !!!.

have any of our members had a simular experience , thank you for any replies or help we may recieve ,..

rayval :Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Funsters , we have recently returned from a very enjoyable trip to the continent ,
we sailed with p&o without a return ticket for £56.27 to france booked and paid for on the same day , on our return we booked and sailed on the same day being advised that the cast would be 98. 50 eurs when our card bill arrived we were charged £176.57 i e 198.50 eurs ,

have any of our members had a simular experience , thank you for any replies or help we may recieve ,..

Well what is on your CC receipt from when you paid ?

We paid £58 return in April ! Sea France.

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
The universe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We tried P&O on our last trip to France. Never again. Ship was dirty and it took ages to get boarded - both ways. Sea France are cheaper and have far nice ships and we will carry on using them for the forseable future.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
we use norfolk line and always a return ticket......much cheaper than one way twice.

if you are going to be late or early....as in days not hours....just ring them and ask to be put on a later/earlier sailing.

normally no charge unless its a different sailing time/price band.

it seems more expensive to buy in france.....98 euros is a lot more than £56.

Last edited:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Never book single unless you are not returning to the UK. Always book a return fare. Also at the time of booking it's often worth giving the ferry company a call just to check if they have a lower fare.

As mentioned in another post, for some reason fares always seem to be more expensive when booking from France.

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
If you booked your ticket at the P&O office at the port then you were charged full fare with no discounts and E198.50 sounds about right. The same applies with Sea France and P&O on both sides of the water, purchased through the port ticket office.
Discounts only apply if booked on the net or via a broker.
I never buy a return as I travel on a whim, and never get my ticket at the port office.

Pete :Cool:

Last edited:

Zozzer

Free Member
Nov 4, 2007
Leigh, Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Not Long Enough
We, like pappa john always find Norfolk line the best and cheapest.

Same here, always use Norfolk line. but tried to book for May 2010 and the price had gone up from £57 to £85. But I do like their flexible approach to bookings, we travelled back two days early with no amendment fee's.

Much cheaper than Caravan Club, see qoute below.

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Hi, we always book a return but find prices can vary by huge amounts so usually check out all three, last time we paid £40 return with SeaFrance for July which I thought great value, we had to come back a week early and paid about £10 to amend.
It pays also to check extra charges for length, I think SF treat up to 8m the same whereas others add for every m over 6m ,
Of them all PO always seem to be the most inflexible, during a blockade of Calais we arrived a bit early (6 hours) but they wanted £60 to get us on an earlier ferry even though they had plenty of space due to many drivers not being able to reach port, time to brew up in the car park methinks.

but! Norfolk Line do the best fry-ups

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
normally no charge unless its a different sailing time/price band.

it seems more expensive to buy in france.....98 euros is a lot more than £56.

We tried to amend ours last year? with P&O, when the tunnel was closed because of the fire, got told that it was another £50 because it would be in a higher price band, when I said put us in a lower one then, I was told their wasn't any. :Angry:

Olley

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp

At those prices it would have been better to have opened a frequent traveller account with Eurotunnell £390 for 5 returns in 12 months and you only book 1 way each time and return when you wish only having to book 24 hrs before travelling and no charge for altering your travel arrangements we are going to Europe next week our 4th trip since 1st May 35 minutes crossing time can't be beaten,:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back