Ferry Bookings re length Motorhome/car (1 Viewer)

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
:Cool:Some advice please funsters I am about to book our first ferry crossing however my dilema is that we tow a small car behind the motorhome as a braked A-Frame setup when selecting overall length do I put them as one or do I class the car as a trailer? :Smile:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
I an not sure about all carriers but using Brittany Ferries and DFDS in the not so distant past We listed it as small trailer and had no problems.
Be warned though contrary to what you might have heard Spanish plod still book you if stopped A-barring
,Even after arguing the point it still cost me 40e near Ampolla (and only another 30 km and we would have been at destination) :swear: others here will have updates I am sure :Smile:

In relation to this ,and how up to date this is ????

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Thank you very much for that JollyRodger and yes I have heard various reports re Spanish Police Stops in relation to braked A-Frame towing I have the explanation of the setup in various languages and can but hope they will understand otherwise we will suffer just like yourself :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Thank you very much for that JollyRodger and yes I have heard various reports re Spanish Police Stops in relation to braked A-Frame towing I have the explanation of the setup in various languages and can but hope they will understand otherwise we will suffer just like yourself :Smile:

Not wishing at all to be negative ..... just in case you are stopped can you both drive ? I have "heard" where they not only fine but can also insist you take the car off . I have no personal experience of this as we got rid of our A-frame many moons ago .Re-reading your original post you don't mention travelling to Spain so disregard what I have put .

Alan

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Broken Link Removed

Use the above link and you can book 10 metres max. £48.00 return including 2 passengers - £5.00 for your trailer each way - it's a bargain, even if you want to change the dates later - but you might have to watch the high season dates.

This must be booked this evening.

We have just booked 20th May and returning 11th July for our trip to Norway.

Copy and paste the code just in case is doesn't do it automatically and pay by debit card or paypal.

Nigel and Pamala

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
No thank you again Alan yes we both drive and we did intend taking in Spain I have looked at the link you sent too and will do what we can to avert any problems but it sounds typical of a non EU agreement taking into account the foreign vehicles that we allow in the UK but I will remain positive :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Hi Soapy

Unfortunately all the paperwork in the world won't help you get away with it in Spain, it isn't the A-frame that is the problem, it is the fact that you are towing a motor vehicle behind another as that is what is illegal, how it is being towed is irrelevant. :Sad:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Not wishing at all to be negative ..... just in case you are stopped can you both drive ? I have "heard" where they not only fine but can also insist you take the car off . I have no personal experience of this as we got rid of our A-frame many moons ago .Re-reading your original post you don't mention travelling to Spain so disregard what I have put .

Alan

You are correct there if stopped will need another
driver, after paying the fine!
Had all the multilingual doc and garda cival plod laughed brought then got out his book of words in Spanish
Took note of my passport said this is Spain not UK 40e please. Seriously have fun but be aware

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Hi Soapy

Unfortunately all the paperwork in the world won't help you get away with it in Spain, it isn't the A-frame that is the problem, it is the fact that you are towing a motor vehicle behind another as that is what is illegal, how it is being towed is irrelevant. :Sad:

Cheers Mel B we will do our best to enjoy France, Italy, Austria and if the Spanish want to be ar**ses they won't get our warm smile and Euros we shall take them elsewhere.
Having served my country for 30 years it really annoys me that we try to be legal and the EU is supposed to have some uniformity but hey ho won't let it spoil the retirement and journey :Smile::Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back