Ferry booked, where should we go (1 Viewer)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
As the title says, ferry booked today for Sunday crossing Hull to Zeebrugge £320 with 3 night camping cheques thrown in for free.

We will be turning right as we have missed the big show in Stuttgart and the next priority is to get some sun, the last two years we have gone straight down to Valencia area of Spain via San Sebastian Zaragoza etc and then followed the coast South for a bit to La Manga/Cartagena area before turning around and heading back up the coast via Benidorm to Narbonne and then into France for the trip back home.

After doing this a few times it all gets a bit samey samey so thinking we should do something different and possibly keep right at San Sebastian and head across Spain for Southern Portugal.

Anybody got any experience of this general route or any suggestion for two rather dis-organised travelers.

Martin

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
evening Martin, no route input sorry, but have a great time, follow the weather, don't plan too much

see you both somewhere soon :)(y)

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Plenty of wild camping along the top coast of Spain,but gets colder,as you move in land.
Peniche and down the west coast of Portugal,is good roads not great.

I am at Caceres,making my way up,Salamanca ,Burgos ,don't,enjoy this part,plus gets cold,I crossed via Elvas better roads in Spain. For me it's just to cold this time of year!!
Weather has been unpredictable in Portugal,have enjoyed less M/H plus beautiful scenery.
image.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks @Eve Jen doesn't do cold that's why we are heading South so might do Beni and Totana again.

Hi @DavidG58 see you at Chester if you are not joining us here once you are all sorted. Don't plan too much you say, we don't plan anything:LOL:

Martin

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
WE like Caceres - the aire is dead handy for the town which has lovely gardens down the middle of the 'high street' been there in early Dec and again in March in the sun the other year!

Again on that trip to Portugal we also went to Palencia twice, since the aire is dead handy for the town again and it's quite a lively town. Went via Burgos again, but the main road skirts it and as you hang a left to go southwards ish to those places, the scenery if fantastic and so is the road through the mountains. There be eagles, soaring above you - if it isn't foggy so you can't see them!

There had been snow, the piles of it and parked up ploughs were evident in the December, but it was fine by the time we arrived there. Just remembered! - I'd gone without my winter coat - bought a lovely new one in Palencia - not too expensive and I still wear it and like it. I needed it in flippin Portugal in Dec, Jan and Feb.

I know that year - it was mega hot around Cadiz. Every year the weather varies - take your pick.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
@funflair. Was that ferry price for a return or just one way?Enjoy your trip wherever it leads you.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Hi Martin, we get the shuttle on Saturday and head off towards Benidorm Sunday Morning for a week or so then down the coast and across to Portugal, Alvor etc when it warms up, will keep my eye open for you.(y)

Eve

Free Member
Jan 29, 2015
Kent
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
20 years
Hi Sedge
I am on the Caceras air,next to the old town and it is lovely,there is a British M/H with a caved in Windscreen,Griffen vulture went right through it and ended up in the van!!!! Desperately trying to get a new windscreen,as so cold.
Spain is definitely warmer this year,but it does vary!
I love northern Spain in the right conditions,moving to Palencia today,is the airs you mentioned in Camperstops or vicarious book stops!!!?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
'Ferry booked, where should we go?'

Well if I were you Martin I'd start off with the ferry terminal in Hull if I were you. ;):LOL:

Have a great trip (y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Martin and Jen

Weather is lovely here in Maroc, still in North at Meknes shorts weather even for me. But Morocco is a long way, not everyones cup of tea and you do need to prepare.

Trip through middle of Spain is wonderfully scenic and some great stops but weather will likely be very very windy and fairly cold at this time of year. Med Coast is usually better and certainly was for us.

Why dont you go through the middle- lots of great stops, caceres, Salamanca, Seville Cadiz etc who knows you might get lucky and you can always turn back up the Med.

Maybe see you somewhere along the way

Bonnes vacances
Jon & Sue

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
As the title says, ferry booked today for Sunday crossing Hull to Zeebrugge £320 with 3 night camping cheques thrown in for free.

We will be turning right as we have missed the big show in Stuttgart and the next priority is to get some sun, the last two years we have gone straight down to Valencia area of Spain via San Sebastian Zaragoza etc and then followed the coast South for a bit to La Manga/Cartagena area before turning around and heading back up the coast via Benidorm to Narbonne and then into France for the trip back home.

After doing this a few times it all gets a bit samey samey so thinking we should do something different and possibly keep right at San Sebastian and head across Spain for Southern Portugal.

Anybody got any experience of this general route or any suggestion for two rather dis-organised travelers.

Martin

glastry

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 20, 2012
northern ireland and portugal
Funster No
MH
a class s550
Exp
20+
If your priority is some sun,you may not enjoy the trip across northern Spain just now.
When it gets a bit warmer it's a bit of a slog but very scenic.
Salamanca and then across to Porto/or Aveira and then down the coast is probably a more attractive route.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi glastry

Thanks for that but the Post is about a month old now and we did cross from San Sebastián to Seville and are now in Portugal. Salamanca was great for a couple of nights stop and Seville was worth the visit as well, also on the way over we stopped at Palencia which has a great Aire and the town is worth a half day look at if you want a little break. All in a nice route over and we have enjoyed it so far.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back