Free Member
Jan 4, 2012
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Second time around.
I'm just looking for ferries to Europe and it occurred to me that as many of you are backwards and forward a lot you would have a good idea of the cheapest way to cross the channel.
Cheers, John

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
They are of a muchness as no Sea France anymore to keep competition high, you have a choice of P&O for dover/calais crossings or Norfolk Line for dover/dunkirk (cheapest routes), Brittany Ferries for the longer crossings to France (Le Harve/St Malo - dependant on crossing if night time a cabin is requirred) and Spain (cabin requirred) and of course the tunnel which is the fastest route.
A lot will depend on time of crossings and how long before departure you book it - earlier = cheaper.
For the tunnel if you use Tesco and collect their vouchers this can go towards or even pay for your journey

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It varies a lot with the seasons and almost always the best deals are when booked well in advance. Don't forget the tunnel, its almost always more expensive, but sometimes there are deals to be had. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I always book online via their website..
Choose an early or late crossing to get the best rates but sometime turn up early and they still let you on.. Last few trips was £44 single, booked just a few days in advance.
On return do the same and use my laptop and free wifi access at Mcdonalds...
There will be cheaper options maybe as clubs members etc but I'm happy with the flexibility and prices.

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I would just like to say I will never travel with DFDS again. We booked a return ticket, but arrived back at Dunkirk two days early and were charged £40.50 to change our crossing. Why? We didn't take up more space, there was plenty of space, it only took 5 minutes in admin. This happened with Sea France they only charged £10. By the time we paid £81 for our return ticket, £30 for Ellie, then £40.50 we would have been as well doing the tunnel and I will in future. Plus you can then come back when you want. ::bigsmile:

Ivy

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I suppose things are starting to bite, we have only ever been charged £10 to amend a booking, but i always book direct, if you book through one of the clubs you cannot if you have done the first leg of the journey change your booking, (it has to be a new booking if you want to change so you loose out - just the same way as we loose out with the airlines if changes are needed to be made)
I have to say that compared to say 10-15 years ago it is comparatively cheaper to cross now than it was then

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
we use the tunnel

We use the tunnel, faster and better for Ezzie.. she is in the vehicle with us.. no need to leave the RV.. simple check in and simple loading and unloading.. we tend to book out June trip early to save money, but September trip we leave until the last moment.

Harwich to Hook van Holland is expensive day or night in a motor home.

Bob

lunarman

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
South Glos
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1994
I think the tunnel is the best way to go. If you shop at tescos ( sorry Shifty ) use their vouchers to offset the cost. You get 3x the value of the tesco voucher against the cost of the crossing, so £50 worth of vouchers equals £150 worth of crossing cost.

Lunarman

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Think one of the idea's I have after out travels this year is to book with a code from one of the shows, book any date usually £25 single and can be changed to any other date in the following months free.

As you may know on our journey out with DFDS we got a earlier ferry which we changed 3 times at no extra charge, and coming home due to unexpected circumstances we bought the ferry forward from 30th June to March again no extra charge just the £25 because we booked with the show code.

Worth booking with a code and changing the ferry to suit you later.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back