Ferries............ (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Charlie, you make a very valid point about whether you can book one way. We always do just that. It means there is no constraint as to how long we can be away, also saves worrying about how far you can go before having to turn back. We just drive as far as we want, make our way north when we feel like and book our homeward ferry a day or two before. That also does away with the feeling 'we have had our holiday and now we are just going home in time to catch a particular ferry' It might be something others may not have considered.

Wyn

Thanks for that ! I wonder (question here) if it costs more to do it your way ? Please don't misunderstand your way seems to me to be the best way for so many reasons which you have mentioned.
I have recently dropped to part time work so we can enjoy life ! Have "Fun" if you like. This means I/We look to try and save a few quid where we can.... Tight ? Ha Ha well lets just say careful ?

But yes the thought of heading off and having few constraints is appealing !

So good people how many of you do it this way ? And how many prefer to have the return booked safe and sound ?

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Charlie, we always get a return due to having to get back for the dog in kennels, prefer to be free & easy while over in France, also 2 elderly aunts which I run around for hospital /doctors appointments etc plus various jobs that they need doing.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Thanks for that ! I wonder (question here) if it costs more to do it your way ? Please don't misunderstand your way seems to me to be the best way for so many reasons which you have mentioned.
I have recently dropped to part time work so we can enjoy life ! Have "Fun" if you like. This means I/We look to try and save a few quid where we can.... Tight ? Ha Ha well lets just say careful ?

But yes the thought of heading off and having few constraints is appealing !

So good people how many of you do it this way ? And how many prefer to have the return booked safe and sound ?

Do you know, now that you've asked the question I've never really worked it out. I figure any saving would be minimal. After all it averages out about the £35-£40 mark each way. Last year was £24 one way. The most was £60 (I could probably have done better but it was our first crossing homeward and we were not sure of internet connection and, a bit like you, unsure of it all really so just jumped at the first offer). Now we realise it's so straightforward we take it in our stride.

One point worth knowing concerns cookies. If you look up a quotation then subsequently return to the same site, your cookies indicate to the site owners that you are a returning customer. It has been known for the price to have increased. If you delete your cookies (not disable them) before returning, the price will have gone back to the original!

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Do you know, now that you've asked the question I've never really worked it out. I figure any saving would be minimal. After all it averages out about the £35-£40 mark each way. Last year was £24 one way. The most was £60 (I could probably have done better but it was our first crossing homeward and we were not sure of internet connection and, a bit like you, unsure of it all really so just jumped at the first offer). Now we realise it's so straightforward we take it in our stride.

One point worth knowing concerns cookies. If you look up a quotation then subsequently return to the same site, your cookies indicate to the site owners that you are a returning customer. It has been known for the price to have increased. If you delete your cookies (not disable them) before returning, the price will have gone back to the original!

Wyn

40 quid each way ??????????? Are you paddling the boat ? Its looking closer to just over 200 each way. Well 425 was the best return before using a discount code ....... Mmmmm

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sorry I should have qualified that by saying they were for Dover to Calais/Dunkerque crossings as that is the way we go.

Wyn

Terry and Jan

Free Member
Feb 25, 2014
Saltash,Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
There is no Portsmouth /Roscoff, you have to come down to good old Plymouth to cross to Roscoff. Don't forget when you arrive in Roscoff to call and see my mate Fred in the wine warehouse, (double decker bus outside) great wine and a great guy. You can tell him Terry and Jan from Saltash will be seeing him in September.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Charlie

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
There is no Portsmouth /Roscoff, you have to come down to good old Plymouth to cross to Roscoff. Don't forget when you arrive in Roscoff to call and see my mate Fred in the wine warehouse, (double decker bus outside) great wine and a great guy. You can tell him Terry and Jan from Saltash will be seeing him in September.

Yes sussed that one out !

Thanks to the help from many of you and the extremely kind loan of a discount code I have now been able to get to the booking stage. Just a couple of minor details to tie up tomorrow and we will be on our way the end of August. We have decided to book one way only so it will give us as much time as we want without constraint.

Awesome !!

Thanks again everyone you have helped me/us no end !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back