Ferries............

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Charlie, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I asked for help with our first trip to Europe in another thread . Here if I may I would like some help with how to book a ferry. Where to do it and a few other daft questions.

I'm not great with computers and a dyslexic to boot so I get easily confused when trying to do these online tasks many of you do with ease. So please bear with me. Call me thick if you like I'm used to that.

I/We joined the Camping and caravan club thinking and hoping we could get some help and also get some discounts by booking through them. They could not have made the booking more difficult and after a couple of hours and many attempts at getting a price I had to throw in the towel.

I then tried Brittany ferries and eventually got a price of £410 but couldn't work out if it was for one way or return. It was from Portsmouth to Roscoff....

Is it possible to book the outward journey and have an open ended return ticket ? This would allow us to travel and see how we get on and stay for say 3 to 6 weeks or if we wanted to return in a couple of weeks ?

Or would we have to book the outward journey only then the return separately ?

Where is the best place to look at all the prices for say over a few days ?

What I'm doing is putting in a date for instance the 30th of August which is a Sunday and a time. I put 9.0 for departure.

I have no idea whether the day or the time makes much difference to the prices...

Sorry if its a lot of questions on what is a boring subject but Im completely stumped ! Once I have done it once or twice I will be fine.............................Well I hope ..

Thanks !!

2. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

You can book a ferry crossing for just one way and, yes, the day of the week and time do make a difference. I will look at prices to Roscoff around the 30 August and PM the figures to you. What length/height is your motorhome and how many people travelling?

• Like Like x 1
  3. chaser

chaser Funster

Have a look at this
    http://www.ferrysavers.co.uk
    Not suggesting you use them but if you put, England in the departure box it comes up with all the ferries then you can use it to decide and go direct to the one you like.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

Portsmouth/Caen leaving at 14:45 on 30 August looks a reasonable price at £164 (for August). Price is one way. I can provide code to get you a 10% discount of this figure.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

What a brilliant question @Charlie , so glad you asked it :) We're not quite ready to try our first ferry trip yet but the more I can learn in advance the better so thanks also to those who've replied (y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Charlie

Charlie Funster

We we have an Autosleeper Kemerton which is 6 metres long and 2.7 high. It has a cycle rack on the rear door.
    It's just the two of us my wife and I .

We are not stuck to any specific days or dates as my wife is retired due to ill health and I work part time on a needs basis. This means I can please myself.

Thank you !!

7. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Portsmouth Caen 1st Sept 6.7mtr moho 2.9 high , return £330 with another funsters (friends & family discount code)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Is that one you've booked or an example ?

What is the discount code ?

9. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

Nothing to do with ferries but just to say dyslexia doesn't mean you are "thick" - it means your brain is wired slightly differently than some other people and you will have another skill that most don't have :)

• Like Like x 3
  10. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I made a very decent living working with my hands.

I sincerely hope my flippant comment is taken with humour and does not offend anyone. I poke fun at myself in order to relieve the tension when things computer and technical get the better of me...

• Like Like x 7
  11. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

No probs Charlie, I often call myself names when the computer does not do what I'm trying to achieve and it almost always my fault anyway!! Hope you get loads of help on this forum, it's what it is really good at...giving help to those who need it. :smiley:

• Like Like x 2
  12. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

No offense here Charlie - taken in the spirit it was written. My daughter is also highly dyslexic and is brilliant in her own field. She also laughs at herself.

• Like Like x 2
  13. juleshe

juleshe Funster

This and your previous thread are also proving very interesting and useful to us as we hope to make our first trip across to Europe next summer. You're certainly not alone with your queries.

• Like Like x 2
  14. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you could just ring the ports and book over the telephone . done it loads of times .
    most travel agents will have timetables and costs available .

15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

• Like Like x 3
  16. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

Some good advice in this thread for you Charlie

I would add the following....

Do you have any teenagers in your family? if so get them to help you with the computer stuff (particularly with searching online for deals)

Also I'm sure if you attended a rally or meet, there would be a funster or two only too happy to go through the process with you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Leave the little bastards at home ;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  19. Charlie

Charlie Funster

I have after several hours found Plymouth to Roscoff for 425 return.
    If there is a funster discount code that might help . Or if being a member of the C&C club .

Not that I can see where we enter a code that will be another day cussing the PC :)

20. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Hi Charlie, glad you got some good answers, but soo sorry I find it really hard to open your threads, the clowns face I find so off putting, good luck with your planned holiday :Smile:

• Like Like x 1