LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
when was the last time a cylist killed someone when in hyde park.one run straight into a oap when on a crossing and knocked them into a truck. then riding of.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
LOL !! This happened to me about 4 or 5 years ago...

I was so wound up I stopped up the road a way and calmly walked round the back of the motor.. pretended to get something out of the boot and stuck my hand up my back..

Stood slap bang in the middle of the road and give them the come on then gesture..

The whole lot stopped dead.. and then sat there.. another bunch of abusive lycra luvies with big mouths and small testicles then !! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's all that tight lycra that does it......the funny thing was that only one motorist managed to overtake them and the sight of all the cyclists chasing after him was priceless........but there was still a long queue of cars tailing back down the road behind the group of cyclists:ROFLMAO: Never seen a motorist get off his mark so fast before....priceless!

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Mine too, but, what is the difference between fog lights and the new daytime running lights ?

Usually the DRL are more distracting.

I think fog lights, plus headlights glaring towards you in the dark is more of a hazard than DRL:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
No your quite right. London has more fatalities than all the top members of the EU capital cities put together.....

When looked at miles travelled per journey
Exampl
16 deaths in London against 6 in Amsterdam however when added to the amount of journeys cycled 16 million. Dutch own 18 million cycles half the population of holland rides a bike at least once per day...add that to the other major euro cities and you wil get the comparison

This is some what misleading....Amsterdam is built for cycles, London is not. You cannot compare these two cities in terms of cycle safety...they are chalk and cheese...

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
This is some what misleading....Amsterdam is built for cycles, London is not. You cannot compare these two cities in terms of cycle safety...they are chalk and cheese...

Yes, rather selective use of the facts there.......... Same with Rotterdam, Antwerp etc. everything designed for cyclists but above all they do by and large obey their own traffics signals. Driven through Amsterdam and Antwerp many times and never seen any cycle indiscipline. Loads of them as well

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Yes, rather selective use of the facts there.......... Same with Rotterdam, Antwerp etc. everything designed for cyclists but above all they do by and large obey their own traffics signals. Driven through Amsterdam and Antwerp many times and never seen any cycle indiscipline. Loads of them as well

I think you have the nub of the problem there. Look at the statistics for cycle deaths in London and many accidents are caused where cyclists are knocked off their bikes overtaking on the inside when a vehicle turns left. Its so difficult to see cycles in blind spots, even in a car.
London even has signs warning cyclists that this behaviour is dangerous, but I suppose, like the Highway code, it is ignored...
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2013/11/14/1384425750363/Bow-roundabout-003.jpg
I'm not defending or blaming cyclists or motorists, but I do think poor cycle discipline is a major factor in a lot of accidents.
Cyclists, just the same as other road users, have a duty to obey the laws of the road and take note of signs and signals. When they make decisions on the road that are very risky e.g, jumping red lights, moving across fast-moving traffic, cycling onto and off pavements in a way that is completely unexpected and without looking to see what traffic is doing, then they put theirs and others lives at risk unnecessarily.

Allan

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I think the main problem is that cyclists are the poor folk who can't afford proper transport.

They deserve all they get :Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10

Ok then 16 in London and 4 in Paris. I could go on :whistle:

And remember for other factors I'm talking about KMs ridden per poor feral cyclist..

The UK is actually the 10th safest country in the eu that is shocking, especially as us poor people living up north all ride bikes because no one can afford a car

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
[HI]I think you have the nub of the problem there. Look at the statistics for cycle deaths in London and many accidents are caused where cyclists are knocked off their bikes overtaking on the inside when a vehicle turns left. Its so difficult to see cycles in blind spots, even in a car. [/HI]
London even has signs warning cyclists that this behaviour is dangerous, but I suppose, like the Highway code, it is ignored...
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images...13/11/14/1384425750363/Bow-roundabout-003.jpg
I'm not defending or blaming cyclists or motorists, but I do think poor cycle discipline is a major factor in a lot of accidents.
Cyclists, just the same as other road users, have a duty to obey the laws of the road and take note of signs and signals. When they make decisions on the road that are very risky e.g, jumping red lights, moving across fast-moving traffic, cycling onto and off pavements in a way that is completely unexpected and without looking to see what traffic is doing, then they put theirs and others lives at risk unnecessarily.
Allan
These two examples are more like the reality of cyclists being injured by vehicles that are turning left. For some odd reason vehicle drivers hate to give way to a bike. Unlike those in Holland and the like. It is the attitude of many British drivers that sucks I'm afraid.

Attachments

• hc_rule_182_do_not_cut_in_on_cyclists.jpg
    hc_rule_182_do_not_cut_in_on_cyclists.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 10
  • hc_rule_178_do_not_unnecessarily_encroach_on_the_cyclists_waiting_area.jpg
    hc_rule_178_do_not_unnecessarily_encroach_on_the_cyclists_waiting_area.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 12

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
These two examples are more like the reality of cyclists being injured by vehicles that are turning left. For some odd reason vehicle drivers hate to give way to a bike. Unlike those in Holland and the like. It is the attitude of many British drivers that sucks I'm afraid.

I wonder how many car drivers know that? The amount of time that's happened to me, or when a car overtakes you and then swings a left without realising I'm riding at 25-30 miles ph myself . Being super young and fit like :thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I wonder how many car drivers know that? The amount of time that's happened to me, or when a car overtakes you and then swings a left without realising I'm riding at 25-30 miles ph myself . Being super young and fit like :thumb:
You gain this third sense you just know what they are going to do:Angry:
Similar scenario on motorways the dicks that dont want to leave the outside lane until the 100yd indicator comes up. If you are going straight on tough, I'm coming through.:Angry:
I used to attempt to get the speed cam to flash but never did.:thumb:

Last edited:
May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
You see as a training Advanced Motorcyclist I am taught to use two things that will make my riding safer for me and other road users...

TUG...Take...Use....Give...

IPSGA.....Information....Position.....Speed....Gear..... Acceleration...

Now surely these, or at least some of these apply to cyclists?

Like me they can TAKE Information....USE it to gain a good POSITION for themselves to keep them away from any potential danger? This means looking at the traffic and road conditions that you are riding in, following the law (which, btw, means not riding through red lights), and USE the information to position yourself accordingly (not on the inside of an articulated lorry at traffic lights etc).

Or is that too much to ask.....because like all the cyclists, I have no protection, other than my riding skills to protect myself with.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think the main problem is that cyclists are the poor folk who can't afford proper transport.

They deserve all they get :Smile:

Have you seen the price of some bikes? More than I paid for my 11 year old Picasso. Then there's the cost of the helmet cam so they can blame everyone else and those Lycra shorts ain't cheap!
Allan

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Ok then 16 in London and 4 in Paris. I could go on :whistle:
I don't think I have ever seen a cyclist in Paris who rides with total disregard for the traffic like they do in London. It may be that the traffic is just too dangerous. I drove around the Champs Élysées once. I still wake up sweating!
Allan

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Its all a matter of training,go out with a club and you would soon be put right by the leaders.
Unfortunately many of those riders that get caught out have never cycled within a group or taken lessons,think what would happen if none of us took a driving test!
The police tend not to get involved unless its to late however in Spain especially, the police are very proactive,we have been stopped and told to close up the group (no gaps)had one of our riders fined for using a phone, and running a red even on the most deserted lane is a no no.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back