Fenlander!!!

Discussion in 'Self-Build Motorhomes' started by GEOFFREY, Feb 6, 2016.

1. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

The penny has just dropped about the webbed feet post on the welcome forum. I suspect that living in the fens we are all expected to have "pointy heads and and webbed feet"!!! Not so many like that left now - I blame the motor car! Anyway, I am not a true yellowbelly as I have only lived here for 44 years, and that doesn't count (Essex boy - probably worse).I am now going to attempt to post some piccies that I have just taken. The blue lumpn under the bed is the calorifier which does have an immersion heater fitted. The white lump fitted on the sidewall under the table is a radiator heated by the engine. It is my intention to connect this up to the calorifier to supply hot water from the engine on days out when no hookup is available. On my previous conversions I have fitted a full shower and trnsverse high level fixed bed, but this time my wife and I were getting a bit to old to beclambering up ladders so I decided on a french bed layout, knowing that it would make the bathroom (toilet) small. I shall make a small shower tray to suit. I must say that as Joyce prefers to use sites with all offices the last five vans we had were all sold wihout the shower ever being used!!! I have previously used surplus caravan doors in my conversions, but this time decided to use all tambour doors which works very welll as it makes it easy to move past any open door. I have just found that 10 pics is the most I can do so may post a couple more later. the water/waste tanks are underslung, seat swivels and awning purchased, but not yet fitted. all seats will be re-upholstered by Regal (who also covered the matress).
    The remaining work is to insulate the roof then fit the headlining (lights already in) and top cupboards.
    Sorry nto have gone on for so long, hope your'e not too bored. Geoff.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

I have just noticed that some of my photos are round the wrong way - I blame the Wife. Geoff.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

The webbed feet are only a bit of fun! Thanks for showing the photos what a great build love the tambour doors as they don't take up space . I'm never bored at looking at people's achievements and you should be rightly proud of your motorhome. Thankyou for sharing!(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

I will now try to post the remaining photos that I took today as promised (or threatened!). I do not have a clue which way round they will come out. The power managment system is by Sergent - a 160 IIRC. and the fridge is a 12v Waeco compressor type. The gas bottle is in a locker between the kitchen unit and the bathroom wall (below the pull up tower power socket). On my last two vans I used an underslung LPG tank, and may fit one later, but I was under time pressure from the insurance company to get the vehicle registered as a motor caravan.
    The minibus was rated as MGW 4005Kg. But I have had it down rated to 3500kg, but this could be reversed if neccessary as everything is still the same as before, just a design weight change. Geoff.

Attached Files:

5. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Oops, pressed the wrong button. Despite the dark glass (I had the windows dark tinted and love the looks)
    it is very light inside the van as I have fitted two Heki midi rooflights and a smaller rooflight/vent in the bathroom. Last photo today - I promise. Geoff.

Attached Files:

6. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Of course I knew it was just a bit of fun - so was my reply. Thank you for your comments about my build.
    I think the tambour doors on the base units are brilliant - I wonder know why none of the professionals do it.
    In the past I have always used knock in edging , but this time thought iron on might look a bit neater (nothing wrong with knock in by the way). I still have most of the edging tape to do. I used 15mm double sided Moorland laminate board for the walls and furniture. Geoff.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Edenside

Edenside Funster

Conversion looks very good, when we did our conversion tried to get Tambour Doors as I had seen them on a motorhome at one of the shows but failed to find a supplier. Would be very interested where you purchased yours for future reference if we decide to upgrade.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

Hi Geoffrey , having lived in Bourne all i can say is that the only webbed feet that i saw were on the ducks in the river (y) , now living in Stamford:)

9. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

I have only ever seen tambour doors used top cupboards and shower doors. I have bought silver coloured tambours for my top lockers from Magnum motorhomes at Grimsby, but for my shower door and base cupboards I some tambour door BISLEY filing cabinets removed the doors and tracks then cut them to the length that I wanted. Because I used 2metre long doors this left me short of track so I made some new tracks from fibre glass. As two of my doors (under bed storage and gas bottle/utility cupboard do not turn through 90 degrees I made some circular tracks (100mm dia) and cut required angular sections from them.
    I hope that this makes sense. Geoff.

10. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Hi Ian, you are dead right about the ducks although there are sometimes as many on the footpath as is the river. A very good folk group called the Billinghay roughs did a concert for "help the heroes" at our village hall and they had a lovely song taking the mickey out of themselves refering to pointy heads and webbed toes!!! We have lived in lincolnshire since 1972 and think that it is a great place to live. Do you have a camper/motorhome? Perhaps our paths will cross sometime. Best regards. Geoff.

11. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Just remembered that song title by the "Billinghay roughs" It was called "the inbreds".

For reference about insurance for self-builds, I used Highway, part of the LV group. I was given 90days to complete the conversion to the satisfaction of the DVLA and to have the vehicle registered as a motor caravan. The DVLA have specific requirements as to what constitutes a MC, and whilst I had met all of those
    and sent my application and photographs etc. to Swansea just just within my time limit, obviously I had not met the criterion of the vehicle being registered as a motor caravan. I informed the insurance company of the situation (0n the 89th day) and requested a time extension. The insurance company requested a copy of my
    change of use application and all documents/photos etc. (luckily the right way round!!!) sent to Swansea\ and then granted me another 30 days to forward a photocopy of the new log book. The point that I am making, and in fact nearly fell foul of this myself is that the initial requirement (small print) was the the vehicle should have been re-registered within 90 days, and that the registration actually took the DVLA 3 weeks. Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Thanks for posting the pictures. You might want to consider, the next time you upload a photo, to select the "show as full size" option which you will see just after it has been uploaded. This will display the photo much better than a thumbnail. But after you have done this press the "enter" button straight away, this will put the cursor below the image so you can add more text if you want.

If you ever find it hard to put the cursor below the image click on "preview" and you should then be able to see the code which posts the pictures and select a point below them, or by cutting and pasting, actually move the image to another place in the post.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Thanks DBK, I will try that next time, but still do not know why they were all ok on my wifes PC, I just opened the file that she gave me - but I would have blamed her anyway!!! Geoff.

15. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Neither am I Geoffrey. I live 8 x miles south of you along the A15.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

16. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Hi Jock, Hi Rita, I am about 2.5 miles north of bourne (within 150 metres of the A15), so probably about 10 miles from you (guessing Baston/Langtoft area). With a name like "Jock", Iwould have been very suprised if you were A true yellowbelly. perhaps we may meet up at some time. Regards, Geoff.

17. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

Nearly Geoff, Mkt D. (y) You at Morton? We have a member between Bourne and Spalding, and another at Langtoft

Since leaving home in 1974 to join the RAF, I've spent most of my life in Lincolnshire. ;)

If you need an extra pair of hands with anything MH related, just shout. (y)

Cheers,

Jock. :)

18. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

Hi Jock, yes Morton. When you said adout 8 miles south I first thought of MD, but I had thought that was in Cambs - we live and learn. Nice to hear that there are a few forum members that live local.
    Thanks for your kind offer of help, my conversion is now virtually finished. As I said before there is only really the top lockers to maken and the roof lining to re-fit. If you find yourself slumming in the Morton area, give me a bell (07504765123) and drop in for a cuppa, no biscuits mind - I will have eaten all those. Geoff.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

We took the van down to Saltash Cornwall last weekend. Stayed on the Riverside campsite at marsh mills, Plymouth. A very nice site and not too far from a bus stop (bus passes are brilliant). Still a few jobs to do on the van. but I have now made the first top cupboard and have booked then van in tomorrow to have a nice set of graphite alloy wheels fitted tomorrow, and for an underslung gas tank installation next week. Geoff.

20. GEOFFREY

GEOFFREY Funster

I am afraid that I missed the wheel fitting appointment last week, but now booked in for today. Gas tank going in on Wednesday. The first top locker (a double) is now fitted, and the next one (a treble) is now built and will hopefully be fitted today. I may get the chance to post a couple of photos later. Geoff.