LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Ok that got your attention. My camper has a pathetic horn, I know you don't use them much but the times I have it's pathetic. 30 ft of camper and a little errr
So I have bought a electric air horn, one trumpet with the compressor etc. 150 decibels so if I need to use it it will be ERRRRR.
Two wire terminals to the compressor, can I just take the two wires + & - from my err standard horn and put them on the new ERRRRR horn so it all works off the horn push as normal.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try it and see.
Worst it can do is blow the horn fuse.

To be safe you could fit those wires to a relay then wire the EEEER horn direct from the battery with a suitable fuse and wires.

Sep 10, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
Sunliving van
Exp
I would expect that the existing wires will not be able t support te added current required for the compressor. Connect the current wires to a relay and add a direct feed from (in my case battery) which can support the extra draw.
Hth

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheHat

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2012
thurrock
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
since 2012
Sorry can not help but i will be watching to see how you get on as i was thinking along the same line

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
I did that, many years ago, and it burnt out the switch. Need a relay.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
You will need a relay. the surge current from the compressor start up will be huge and will burn out your horny little button over time, first by pitting it, then by carbon desposits then.... nada. Get a relay fitted, the horn button circuit connects to the 12v coil, the big wires from the compressor motor goes to the normally open contacts.... press the horny little button, current flows to the coil, bingo, instant electromagnet, this pulls a flap, (ooh er matron) like a switch, big current flows thru to your compressor.... whizzz.... ERRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!! because you connected these wires direct to your battery via a suitable fuse.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ummmm.. unless something has changed air horns are not legal as the primary noise maker

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
I fitted a 2 trumpet air horn (electric), just disconnected the standard horns 2 wires and connected the 2 air horn wires to the original feed - job done ....Note: I did put a multimeter across the 2 original wires to find out which was the live before i connected the air horns wires, just ask Mrs to sit in van an press the horn to activate the live feed (y) Doesnt sound like a smart car anymore :D

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They are as long as they sound as a single note. Colonel Bogey and Dukes of Hazzard (or any other 'tune') playing horns were outlawed a long time ago.
Thanks for that Tony..
I am going back about 30 years.. Had a single tone airhorn on a bike..Got a tug at a VOSA check.. The only thing they mentioned was the horn.. Said it did not conform to uses and construction regs for vehicles made after 1972
I was let off with a 'suggestion' it should be changed asap but also understood the need for a loud device on a motorcycle ! :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Ok that got your attention. My camper has a pathetic horn, I know you don't use them much but the times I have it's pathetic. 30 ft of camper and a little errr
So I have bought a electric air horn, one trumpet with the compressor etc. 150 decibels so if I need to use it it will be ERRRRR.
Two wire terminals to the compressor, can I just take the two wires + & - from my err standard horn and put them on the new ERRRRR horn so it all works off the horn push as normal.

Had exactly the same problem with mine the horn was embarrassing it was so pathetic especially on a bloody great tag axle. Like @Jaws I'm a long term biker and really know the value of a seriously loud horn always one of the first mods on any new bike.
Tried a pair of air horns the type with a separate compressor but not very successful.
My son the mechanic then told me to get an electric air horn so;
Ordered an electric air horn with built in compressor just bolted in onto the body fitted the 2 wires from the original horn and bobs yer uncle worked perfect. Actually thats not quite true it did pack in after a few months because I stupidly fitted it with the horn facing up and it got water in it, but after drying out and refitting the proper way it works perfectly. Thank god too because we were in Sicily this year touring and it's virtually impossible to drive there without a seriously loud horn.:eek:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Had exactly the same problem with mine the horn was embarrassing it was so pathetic especially on a bloody great tag axle. Like @Jaws I'm a long term biker and really know the value of a seriously loud horn always one of the first mods on any new bike.
Tried a pair of air horns the type with a separate compressor but not very successful.
My son the mechanic then told me to get an electric air horn so;
Ordered an electric air horn with built in compressor just bolted in onto the body fitted the 2 wires from the original horn and bobs yer uncle worked perfect. Actually thats not quite true it did pack in after a few months because I stupidly fitted it with the horn facing up and it got water in it, but after drying out and refitting the proper way it works perfectly. Thank god too because we were in Sicily this year touring and it's virtually impossible to drive there without a seriously loud horn.:eek:

Would that be a Stebel Nautilus you speak of Ror ?.. Proper noise maker those things are !!!!
( Link Removed )

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Would that be a Stebel Nautilus you speak of Ror ?.. Proper noise maker those things are !!!!
( Link Removed )

Yeah looks like it John.
Put a new Stebel on the S1XR but had to get the next size down as the Nautilus was too big, not much space behind the panels but still bloody loud.(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I want one that sounds like a Dover ferry
Mine sound just like a Eurostar train, peep peep, totally useless. Air horn and a relay to go on and would also like one inside, connected to the alarm spare wire, just to make it VERY UNPLEASANT inside if it get broke into by a nefarious personage .

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Horn relay - it's just a common automotive relay:

Horn Relay.jpg

Hymie

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2013
Essex
Funster No
MH
Classic Hymer B564
Exp
Since 1981
My air horn fell apart, so I bought a twin set of hooters from eBay as I had my MOT in a few weeks.

Fitted them the day before the test, as you do, but they didn't work, spent a while diagnosing, as far as removing the boss from the centre of the steering wheel but couldn't find the problem.

I ran a new earth but on connecting it the hooters both started, so I metered out the wires coming from the loom and found they both carried 13.5 volts ??.

There is only a short length from the loom so I ran a line from one of the live wires to a flick switch I fitted by the steering wheel and set the other side of the hooter to earth, so I now had a working hooter.

I believe that the rules say you must be able to activate the hooter easily from your driving position, regardless of where it is sited, and It passed the MOT with no advisories. (I also had the beam deflectors still fitted to my headlights.)

I am going to order a momentary switch when we get back from our trip, leaving on Sunday, I would like to get it working from the steering boss again but don't have the electrical knowledge, and I am not getting ripped off by another "auto electrician" so the momentary switch will have to do.

Hymie

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I ran a new earth but on connecting it the hooters both started, so I metered out the wires coming from the loom and found they both carried 13.5 volts ??.
Hi if both of the loom wires were live suspect one turns to an earth when the engine is running and the original horn was wired as part of the alarm system

Jean-luc

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
Rapido 963F
Exp
Since 2005
This should get you all the attention you want
:Eeek:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Don't mess about Mikey go for the roof mounted ones they look so cool :D

only £400 lol

s-l1600.jpg

OP
OP
Mikey RV

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
I had two 24inch Hadleys on the RV, Proper air horns. Used to give them a blast every time we went out. Told Nikki you had to to get the flys out. :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back