Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How do you know when your allotted time for the' 3' sim had run or when using the feel at home destinations?
I know you can only use it for around 2 or 3 months in france but what happens, do yot get a text saying you have used up your time or do you just get cut off suddenly?

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I have a Three feel at home "data only sim" and they send me text messages when the allowance is getting low. I've used the service for the last two months while touring France. Never failed to connect and reasonable speed.(y)

ps - I'm using a 3G router so video streaming is out of the question. :(

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I'm I using mine in my phone. Calls,texts and data free. Might it be different with a data only sim?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Don't know how "Feel at home" works as yet but if using a data sim in UK register the sim and you get access to data used \ left and timeline using My 3 Data.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
Could I use one of these in a mini ipad without anything else?
I sometimes link it to my iphone on personal hotspot but it is rubbish and I would love a pay as you go sim to top up when in France that actually work.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Could I use one of these in a mini ipad without anything else?
I sometimes link it to my iphone on personal hotspot but it is rubbish and I would love a pay as you go sim to top up when in France that actually work.
You just need to buy the right sim card. If you go on the Three website you will see different types, for phones, tablets etc. If you just want it for the interent then get a data only one.

And when you have your sim card you can go onto the Three website and find the My3 bit which will show you how much credit you have.

Deleted User
I have a Three feel at home "data only sim" and they send me text messages when the allowance is getting low. I've used the service for the last two months while touring France. Never failed to connect and reasonable speed.(y)

ps - I'm using a 3G router so video streaming is out of the question. :(

Why no streaming with a 3G router? I have streamed TV in Portugal on an unlimited Vodafone contract with a Huawei mifi, having said that I am currently using a 3 data only sim in France and whilst a speed check gives around 4mbs which is more than ample for streaming I am unable to open any you tube clips or anything that moves. This happens no matter which local service provider I connect to, I think part of the feel at home deal with the service provider has restrictions.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I can open youtube videos but the download is so slow it is unwatchable. 2 seconds of video followed by 20 seconds of buffering. Waiting for the video to download completely is normally one way around it but its takes so long I gave up in the end. For light network traffic the 3G has been fine.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
try Pc world or currys for 1 month 1GB on 3 ideal for Tablet just need an adaptor to make it up to full size sim (free in currys)

THREE Pay As You Go Nano SIM
Product code: 034340

Product features
  • 1 GB preloaded
  • 4G (requires 4G enabled device)
  • Data valid for 30 days
  • Ideal for Nano SIM enabled tablets
Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed Broken Link Removed
The Three 3G/4G Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Nano SIM is a great way to get connected to the internet if you've already got a cellular tablet or iPad

Simply connect

It's easy to get started with your Three Pay As You Go Mobile Broadband Micro SIM. Just slide it into the SIM slot of a cellular iPad or tablet which is compatible with the Three network, and you're ready to go.

Lots of data

The Three Micro SIM comes pre-loaded with 1 GB of data and will give you opportunity to send 1,000 Outlook/HTML emails, surf the web for 10 hours, download 5 four-minute videos, or download 32 four-minute music tracks.

Speed 4G
DEVICE INFORMATION
Device type Nano SIM
GENERAL
Package contents Three Pay As You Go Nano SIM
Dimensions 90 x 73 x 2 mm (H x W x D)

###########################################################

this what 3 charge !!!!
Broadband - Pay As You Go + 1.

Pre-loaded with 1GB and valid up to 30 days. Topped up and ready to go.

1GB data

Valid for 1 month

£10.49 upfront cost.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
You just need to buy the right sim card. If you go on the Three website you will see different types, for phones, tablets etc. If you just want it for the interent then get a data only one.
According to how I interpreted the '3' website, you can't use a phone SIM in a tablet :(

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
According to how I interpreted the '3' website, you can't use a phone SIM in a tablet :(
No you can't. I bought their cheapest PAYG phone sim card to check coverage where I live (rubbish) then tried it in a mifi when we were somewhere else. It worked fine for a couple of days in the mifi then it told me to put it back in the phone and refused to work! They know which type of device the sim card is in.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Just a thought, If you are thinking of taking a couple of 1gb sims , I dont think you can initiate them in France I think they must be originally initiated in UK.
so if going for a month and you think one won't be enough you need to initiate them both before leaving UK.

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Just a thought, If you are thinking of taking a couple of 1gb sims , I dont think you can initiate them in France I think they must be originally initiated in UK.
so if going for a month and you think one won't be enough you need to initiate them both before leaving UK.

I've 'initiated' them in France without any problems.(y)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I dont think you can initiate them in France I think they must be originally initiated in UK.
My understanding is that it's only contract SIMS that must be first used in the UK. I have been told that PAYG SIMS can be first used anywhere they normally work.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Germany and belgium the only gap in service for our upcoming summer tour:(