DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Go every week! run the bleddy thing for at least 25mins! once a month take the bleddy thing for a trot! at least 1/2 hour long!

It's just sitting there saying "

"Hey Joy, I'm keeping the alarm going honey! you ain't been to see me for XXX, Oh boy girlie I'm running out of juice here! So! where the hell are you? I'm dying here Joy !"
That's exactly what my wife says to me every day. :)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a shame to hear of your troubles Joy. I hope you get it fixed and it doesn't cost too much. Its times like these when a man comes in handy eh!

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Our van has jump starting points under the bonnet, the truck battery being under the passenger seat.

Now if you find that is the case with yours as well you will say some VERY blue words.

Same here Joy, Eric (Glowworm) showed me at Malvern otherwise I would have done the same as you if I had a starter battery problem!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
Joy, we were losing charge to our batteries, solar fitted, turned out that the controller was faulty, might be worth having it checked out. You are a very resourceful lady, hope all is sorted soon.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Kitty-Need-big-Hu.gif
Tomorrow will be a better day Joy x

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
just a shame you are not local or I would happily help you out. Is anyone else local to you that could take a look Joy

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Joy, if engine battery only a year old and faulty it may be under warranty, some batteries have 3 year warranty.
Good luck, hope it is sorted soon and you make Shell Island.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks everybody for your replies ... and those people who phoned me up to either offer help or condolences :). Will go up to the farm this morning and see what the mh is holding in store for me... :) . Thanks to Dave Busman for offering to come up and look at it for me (and Big 1 if he were closer) but I will see what happens today .. Hugs to one and all for your lovely messages .. even those that smiled at my misdemeanor :) .. if we can't laugh at these things we may as well give up mightn't we. :) x

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Love your positive attitude Joy, hope all goes well today.

Oct 20, 2013
South Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Yes
Thanks everybody for your replies ... and those people who phoned me up to either offer help or condolences :). Will go up to the farm this morning and see what the mh is holding in store for me... :) . Thanks to Dave Busman for offering to come up and look at it for me (and Big 1 if he were closer) but I will see what happens today .. Hugs to one and all for your lovely messages .. even those that smiled at my misdemeanor :) .. if we can't laugh at these things we may as well give up mightn't we. :) x
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
Firstly, why don't you have breakdown cover? For the sake of £100 a year you could have just called them out and they would have used a booster pack. Alternatively, why not buy a booster pack if you store your van remotely where you can't have it connected to EHU all the time. Secondly, it is quite usual on vehicles with a hidden battery to have a pair of terminals (or just a positive terminal) under the bonnet for use in jump starting. I know the Fiat Ducato has this facility and I've had cars where the battery is hidden away in the boot or under the seat and they have all had the terminals under the bonnet for use in emergency. It may be worth having a look for the next time.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What a day. Got to my van after going through all security gates and getting mud all over me and when I pushed alarm fob to turn alarm off nothing happened ... unlocks van and alarm keeps going off... Text several Funster friends for number of Van Bitz .. they come back to me and I phone him and he says not the alarm, but is the van battery.. Turn ignition key .. he's right .. NOTHING. Battery master says leisure is 12.2 but engine is 6.6. Alarm going off all time. Phone Burstner dealers ..'you need to go to Halfords for new battery and keep receipt.' but now readings changed to 12.2 and 8 (after one hour in van) . Try engine again and nothing happens but battery master drops to 6.6. Phone Burstner where are my fuses re leisure bat transferring power to engine? They are all over everywhere but I try them all and they seem ok.. well, they look pretty colours anyway . Now a couple of hours into van. Phone Burstner again 'Can I jump start a mh as I am sure I read you shouldn't'. They say yes. Traipse all over farmer's fields looking for farmer .. he says he busy and will jump start me later. I go back to van over muddy fields. Back to van, opens bonnet to see is mice have chewed wires .. no they havn't but some b*gger has stolen my battery .. oh no they havn't it's in the van.. I phone Burstner and they say it under floor between two front seats. I have to take all my carpet up, and there are plastic carpets covering floor and TWO HUGE screws at one side. I have to empty locker looking for screwdrivers and find something but it doesn't fit. I go and find farmer, borrow a gripper thingy and then take forever unscrewing the two huge screws, cut my fingers and it doesn't make any difference to rubber mats.......... oh no... I have started to remove the driver's seat. I struggle and put the two screws back. Work out how to lift rubber mats but there are now FOUR screws but no star or slot in them, holding a metal plate... I struggle then realise an allum key is needed .. Empty locker again, peed off .. three hours into visit to van. :( Remove metal plate.. Weird. There is a big red thing on top of the battery. I go get farmer's son who brings his tractor to jump start me .. but realises his tractor is 24v and my van 12v. So I have to back and forth and get my car there and he then can't get to screw for red wire cos of the red box. Anyway, long story cut short we manage to get engine started and nos jump to 11.7 and 11.6 but with an outgoing voltage too. Going back tomorrow as garage can't fit me in until next week and if it still won't go I can't go to Shell Island. I hate computers, phone, motorhome engines and myself for my stupidity about all these things. Moan over. :( Going for cup of tea.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I go and find farmer, borrow a gripper thingy

I'm really feeling for you Joy, but have to laugh when you write things like the above. That's what Jackie would say........

"Griff can you bring your "gripper thingies"........ makes me smile....... :rofl:

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Firstly, why don't you have breakdown cover? For the sake of £100 a year you could have just called them out and they would have used a booster pack. Alternatively, why not buy a booster pack if you store your van remotely where you can't have it connected to EHU all the time. Secondly, it is quite usual on vehicles with a hidden battery to have a pair of terminals (or just a positive terminal) under the bonnet for use in jump starting. I know the Fiat Ducato has this facility and I've had cars where the battery is hidden away in the boot or under the seat and they have all had the terminals under the bonnet for use in emergency. It may be worth having a look for the next time.
Yup... but I obviously isna as clever as you, Pooh Bear.. but I'll keep eating my honey. :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
Joy, delighted it has started today, long may it continue. We keep our van in storage with no EHU, not had a problem aart from when regulator went faulty. alarm is quite a drain, but have left van up to 3 weeks with no problems, in winter, snowing and not able to get to storage facility.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I have Green Flag breakdown cover for anyone interested... and called them out last year... After them working on it for an hour they said it needed a new battery. I went and bought one £130 and they put it in.... it still didn't start and it turned out it was a fuse. I trust myself and the funsters on here more than any breakdown mechanic. :)

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
I have Green Flag breakdown cover for anyone interested... and called them out last year... After them working on it for an hour they said it needed a new battery. I went and bought one £130 and they put it in.... it still didn't start and it turned out it was a fuse. I trust myself and the funsters on here more than any breakdown mechanic. :)

So many 'mechanics' are fitters, no disrespect, but so many now seem to be trained to replace parts, not find out and fix, the problems. Having said that the accelarator cable snapped so often on my romahome, was on first name terms with local RAC man, he was a gem. Electrical problems are tricky to find too, especially if previous owner has changed original spec.

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hi Sue, the guy that came to me seemed to know one heck of a lot about car engines, but when I spoke to him about my Battery master and leisure batteries and solar panels he seemed to know even less than I did. ... It was one expensive wasted afternoon.

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015

But in this case it just needed a jump start to get it moving which is all breakdown cover is for. The investigation into why it happened can happen afterwards.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
So pleased it started for you @movan

I'm really feeling for you Joy, but have to laugh when you write things like the above. That's what Jackie would say........

"Griff can you bring your "gripper thingies"........ makes me smile....... :rofl:

We have all sorts of names for various tools - often from when we were building the house, were tired and brain dead, example - an electric screwdriver is known as a "zummer" (due to the noise it makes). However the one that really makes me laugh is the plonker..... no, not a person or sentient being but the post driver, named by a friend who needed a post plonking in "right there". The welding round the top went and she asked the local repair place if they could fix Martin's plonker...... still don't know how the welder kept his face straight!

OP
OP
movan

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
But in this case it just needed a jump start to get it moving which is all breakdown cover is for. The investigation into why it happened can happen afterwards.
Maybe, but somehow I kind of lost my faith in them after the last episode ... so phoned Funsters and checked the fuses first myself, and then tried the jump start. If that hadn't worked then I would have phoned Green Flag and asked to make sure the guy understood motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back