LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
on my journey which also took in portugal i travelled leaving the uk on the 26th dec yes the weather on route was not good but i had np crossing any mountains like mel says its wives tales maybe put about by the caravan club to scare motorhomers :Smile:
the journey is the best part but not everyone has the same thoughts so each to their own i have also always believed the cost of the journey to bilbao and santander by ferry is more than it is for diesel i work out at roughly £50 for the ferry and 2 tanks at around £90 each making it £230 ok there is the wear and tear and food but i stop in aires or in a layby between normally to lorries and as for food i carry that anyway wear and tear i cant put a price on but i can do calais to benidorm in around 2 1/2 days easy and thats without using toll roads from bilbao to benidorm would still take me 8 hrs so i dont see the saving :roflmto:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
on my journey which also took in portugal i travelled leaving the uk on the 26th dec yes the weather on route was not good but i had np crossing any mountains like mel says its wives tales maybe put about by the caravan club to scare motorhomers :Smile:
the journey is the best part but not everyone has the same thoughts so each to their own i have also always believed the cost of the journey to bilbao and santander by ferry is more than it is for diesel i work out at roughly £50 for the ferry and 2 tanks at around £90 each making it £230 ok there is the wear and tear and food but i stop in aires or in a layby between normally to lorries and as for food i carry that anyway wear and tear i cant put a price on but i can do calais to benidorm in around 2 1/2 days easy and thats without using toll roads from bilbao to benidorm would still take me 8 hrs so i dont see the saving :roflmto:

Bill I have just been looking at some figures
From Calais to Palencia in Spain it is 1399km…which is roughly where you would cross paths, and from Santander to Palencia is 200km…..the difference between the two routes is 1199 km = 745 miles…..doing a average of 28mpg = 26.6 uk gals(as we are talking normal European motorhome) = 121 ltr at French price of diesel per ltr which is at the moment of 1.31 euros pre ltr = £1.13 per ltr (the total of the journey to Palencia Spain is £136 by road one way as opposed to hildweller 300+ one way ….that is near on a £340.00 saving on a return journey…and in this financial climate that is a lot of money…..
To Quote Brian
It does me. Sometimes there's a good film. It really annoys how much they rip us off for WiFi, so I've never bought that. Petty, £300+ each way then they want another tenner or more for WiFi.......WHAT!!!! £300+

And any minor cost’s of a few euros on Aires would be well covered by what the families would spend in the duty free shops….so that is a none starter in the equation
Also it depends on which side of the UK you are based this could mean putting extra cost travelling to Portsmouth in terms of miles / diesel at UK costs of around £1.45 ltr….

You can tell I'm Yarkshire...that's a lot of Brass..I would want 3 month's holiday for that ferry trip alone in money terms...WOW.:Eeek:..ALL I CAN SAY IS BRIAN AS OWER MUCH MONEY (you have TO MUCH MONEY Brian) ....

Last edited:

Deleted User
Matamoros....what I was saying…(not having a go at you)..as you had replied on my post….. you were pointing the info of the ferries at the wrong person....as it was Hildweller who was talking ferries not me

The rest I was replying to you as it was my post you had raised.... For me..by the time I had veered off to the west to St Naziare, stopped at St Nazaire ferry terminal...booked in... Boarded the ferry.. Finally left the port arrived at the destination port disembarked the ferry.....I could have already been there by road.
Also by the time I had got to St Nazaire I would have travelled down over half of Frances !! weather....
Like I have said the weather and roads have been fine for us up to press....( I am not saying in the past years it has always been like this for other travellers,... as weather climates have changed and are changing )
As I mentioned.. I purchased a motorhome to tour /travel about in not to ship from place to place just live in it...and if you are on a limited holiday period,..Or driving a long distance is a problem...then shipping is another option like Brian has mentioned….
As Brian as said, as long as you get there ,and the trip/travel route either by road or boat is to your liking and suites you…fine…
But as… Keith, JJ, ukbill, myself have said and maybe many others….ferries are not what we are looking for…….Another point of view …nothing more
What I written is not meant to offend or criticise any funsters…it is just another motorhomers experience and opinion.

Just pointing out alternatives for you & others :thumb:

BTW wi fi now free on Brittany Ferries.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 21, 2008
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Symbol
Exp
Van Conversion
Ferry Prices

I've been toying with the idea of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander this winter as I get to Beni every winter and sit static for five months,so this year we thought we might try Portugal first and then work our way round the coast to Beni.The ferry price for a seven metre van two dogs and one cat on the 15 oct is £527 quite a bit dearer than me driving down even with the cost of a 90 euro fine I got on my last journey back last trip
Alan

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I've been toying with the idea of getting the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander this winter as I get to Beni every winter and sit static for five months,so this year we thought we might try Portugal first and then work our way round the coast to Beni.The ferry price for a seven metre van two dogs and one cat on the 15 oct is £527 quite a bit dearer than me driving down even with the cost of a 90 euro fine I got on my last journey back last trip
Alan

Alan...is that a return ticket £527.......

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
No that's just one way with a outside cabin and 2 kennnels for the dogs, the cat travels in the MH
Alan

WHAT......WOW...what a lot of brass...Alan...No way is the boat is cheaper than the diesel...:Eeek:..:Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

WHAT......WOW...what a lot of brass...Alan...No way is the boat is cheaper than the diesel...:Eeek:..:Doh: :Doh: :Doh:

It gets much closer in off season with a 6m van. Our last bill was £620 return.

Diesel is not the mileage running cost by a fair way. Especially those who regularly pop up in here saying they use the French tolls just to "get there".

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
It gets much closer in off season with a 6m van. Our last bill was £620 return.

Diesel is not the mileage running cost by a fair way. 2/Especially those who regularly pop up in here saying they use the French tolls just to "get there".

Brian Brian Brian.......:Doh::Doh:

Quote(Especially those who regularly pop up in here saying they use the French tolls just to "get there)

Brian life is to enjoyed.... not rushed....like the toll boys:Doh:

Quote(It gets much closer in off season with a 6m van. Our last bill was £620 return).

Brian you have toooo much brass.

Brian....we don't use the tolls in France...yes in Spain and try to avoid in Portugal ...

But on saying that we do not use the Tolls in France now the A63/E5/E70 have gone toll below Bordeaux it looks we will be adding another 10-ish euros on

So the tolls in Spain up to Palencia and the French border near Biarritz may have added a few euros to my figures 10 to 15 euros at the very most to the same cross point...at Palencia

Quote(Diesel is not the mileage running cost by a fair way)

Working the cost of tyres into the equation is a no no... most of the Brit vans tyres perish before the treads are worn down to the limit through lack of use...the oil change / service would be or should be done yearly in any case...And I am a big a believer the Diesel van must be used and serviced regular to get the best out of it ....a van that is stood a long time is a van to avoid

I still stand by what I said....my figures still stand. What a waste of money...the Portsmouth to Santander ferry with a cost of from £310+ to £600 one way.. you and Mrs Hildweller have ower much Brass.....
So I am going to write to that dipstick in No 11...in London...to see if he can reclaim you fuel allowance...your Bus pass...any pensioner meals you claim at half price and any other benefits category you may come into e.g.: free prescriptions, mobility scooter...and so on

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2010
Newark
Funster No
MH
hightop camper
Exp
15 years
We will be around in Portugal at that time and are interested.
Andrew and Linda

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Had the first quote back.

Camping Albufeira, (Naff website)

I imagine quite a few of you have stayed here before. It has a restaurant and shop on site. A pool open all year (but brass monkeys would need to take care) there is now a level path all the way from the campsite into town which is just 1.5km away. It's a largeish site, gravel pitches hook ups if you want them.

Cost will be in the region of €10 a night for a couple in a van, electric an extra €2.5 if you need it.

If you don't know the area, I found this video on the web, but lost the will to live at around four minutes in..

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aW410hWEqDw"]albufeira camping en albufeira - YouTube[/ame]

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Dog Friendly?

Hi Jim,
Have just read the rules of this campsite which state:

<DIR>Must not - Allow dogs and cats in any other place than his tent or caravan, always keeping them with a lead.

So, would you say the site is dog friendly and are there any dog walking areas on site?

Thanks.

</DIR>

Last edited:

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Big tuggers rally site with some taking up 2 pitches (greedy buggers) 1 for caravan & 1 for car. Nice restaurant though if a bit pricy, as is most of Albufeira, (Naff website, I agree).

I won't be going, although you may think that is a positive. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

malheg

Free Member
May 28, 2008
Coppull (Chorley)
Funster No
MH
Campervan (Alphard)
Exp
12 yrs
Portugal

Hi Jim,
We will be in the Algarve in Feb. If you let me know the where about we may be able to meet up.
Malc

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
The Wyaye wires pack are definitely interested. We were planning a trip that way anyhoo and as it will be our first expedition abroad with the van it would be good to travel in company. :Smile:
The site would have to be dog friendly though. :thumb:

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We are going to the Malaga meet so could go via Portugal, maybe not the full month but will confirm dates later. Please put us down as possible.

cydersyd

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Jul 21, 2010
Sherborne, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
12 years.
Portugal Feb 14

Thank you for the invitation Jim, Pat and I would be delighted to join in as we will be "darn sarf" at that time anyway.

Regards, Graham.

Ash

Trader - Service & Repairs
LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2007
Chapel st Leonard's. Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Depending on dates as we like to go skiing with the ski funsters gang
So will have to wait to see when "the ski trip is..but otherwise sounds good to us :thumb:

Oh yes kath DON'T forget our skiing :Smile:

PATTYDOZ

Free Member
Apr 24, 2013
Darwen Lancs
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
pattydoz

HI would love to hear more about it as we are planning a trip for a couple of months :Smile::winky:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
When I want to tour in France and end up in the UK (from Spain) fine. But when all I want to do is get through France, it's the boat for me. Drive on Santander, put dog in kennel, have drink, put feet up, have dinner, have drink, go to bed, have breakfast.....bingo the U K , start tour.

Wonderful ::bigsmile:

IMHO

LyndonRV

Free Member
Sep 23, 2007
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
2 years
hi mate can you give me some more details and will the rv fit on site asap thanks ::bigsmile:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I put our names down on page 2, looking at the thread, me thinks it will have to be a bloody big site ::bigsmile::ROFLMAO::thumb:

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Hi Jim
Would love to join in the fun if there's room left