Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Anyone recommend a good faxing software package for a PC??

Our fax machine has decided its time to chuck in the towel and we are sick of all the junk faxes that we keep getting so want to go PC based for faxing (I think fax machines will go the same way as Telex machines did in the not to distant future).

All our PCs have scanners attached just need the software bit to drive it!!

Thanks as always

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Dazzer,

I always used Winfax pro....It worked for me...

Not used pc fax in a long time now...

If I need to Fax I use a works Multi Function Printer.

You could probably pick up a cheap customer based unit for around the same price as a software package nowadays.

PS Long time no see. How you doing?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always used Cheyenne Bitfax (part of the Bitware package) since obtaining it with a modem years ago. Still got it installed in this machine but it's years since I actually sent or received a fax.

Graham

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I always used Cheyenne Bitfax (part of the Bitware package) since obtaining it with a modem years ago. Still got it installed in this machine but it's years since I actually sent or received a fax.

Graham

Hi Graham,

Me too....From a pc that is.....

I used Bitfax too.It only worked with the zoltrix fax modem it came with though...Worked a treat.

I'll send you one one day.....::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
We always used to use BVRP software to fax from the laptop and it worked very well but as modern mobile phones not longer have a fax facility in them we have gone all emails and use a scanner and send as a PDF attachment. In the office we have a recieving fax but very seldom send one these days . As you say faxes are a dying thing these days -

One thing I find worrying is that I was around when there were telexs and they were king - Faxes took over in the 80s and were horribly expensive - now emails are the in thing what next ( i was also around when spitfires were flying in anger too ) :Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Steve

I have Vista Business .. didn't realise it wasn't on the other Vista packages :Blush:

jim

Aha Cheers Jim,

That explains it...

Thought I was going bonkers here....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was going to try Vista Business but going for Windows 7 now.

It'll be interesting to see if they still support Fax in the final "Release to customer" build?

Steve.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hi Graham,

Me too....From a pc that is.....

I used Bitfax too.It only worked with the zoltrix fax modem it came with though...Worked a treat.
I think it might have been a Zoltrix that it came with but I've used it succesfully with other external and internal modems over the years.

I'll send you one one day.....::bigsmile:
I'd better try to find a telephone lead to plug the PC in then ::bigsmile:

Just had a look on our Vista machine (Home Premium) to see if had Fax software but can't see any. Funny because I thought it had - but maybe I uninstalled it on the grounds that I didn't need it :Smile:

Graham

OP
OP
dazzer

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
mmmmmmmm. Just had a look at the back of the PC and cant find a phone socket anywhere:Doh:

However the good news is ive found the spare part needed to bring the old fax machine back to life (only cost £20.00 :thumb:) so ive ordered it and should be with me tomorrow::bigsmile:.

I know fax is fast becoming a thing of the past but we use it every day and its a lifeline for receiving orders especially with the posties hanging up their sacks for a few days off :Eeek:

Thanks for the advice though, hope it was helpful to others:thumb:::bigsmile:

ian81

Free Member
May 27, 2008
Funster No
Ditch the need for any special software or a modem and use a service like efax for £10 per month.

Tinyk

Free Member
Mar 9, 2009
Funster No
I ditched the software route many months back, just more hassle than its worth.

Give myfax.com a try, takes a couple minutes to set up the send and receive bits but once its done your away. £5 per month, gives you 100 sheets outgoing and 200 incoming to an 0800 number they give you, then all faxes come to you by e-mail.

You also get a nifty little bit of software to install, basically it adds another printer, print your document, add the number, hit send and its gone. You get an e-mail confirmation of it being delivered and an attached .tif of your fax for filing purposes. You can also send faxes by sending an email to 123213212@myfax.com from your regged e-mail address, this way you can set-up regular faxes in your e-mail for when you need to fax something quick.

They do a free trial from memory as well. I've just upped our package to £10 per month, get 200 out and 400 in, I then diverted our company fax machine direct to the 0800 number so no call charges for that. We all get the faxes direct to our e-mail now and spam gets deleted without even looking at. Best of all, when the fax machine breaks, jams or throws a wobbly its someone else's problem.

Really is the business for someone that travels a lot and needs to be at the hub of things.

Hope this helps

Kevin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back