Fax Modem Software (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Has anyone any suggestions on what Fax Modem software is the easiest to use and if possible free ? I want to use the internal fax/modem as a fax machine, I am using Vista Home Premium

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Have a good look around Vista, surely it's built in.

Cor, brings back memories of long ago. There was one bees-knees fax program though I can't remember it now. Cost a fortune.

OP
OP
B

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

They apparently have stopped providing the basic fax software in Vista home premium that comes free with XP, its included in the higher levels of Vista but not in the home premium.

I downloaded an evaluation fax program and it appears there is something wrong with my fax/modem it won't recognize a dial tone,

I have replaced the telephone leads etc and updated the drivers but while in a self test it reports everything is OK with the modem, when i try to dial out it just reports no dial tone, any ideas would be welcome,

I have been on to HP tech and after a hour or more they can't seem to come up with any solutions other than to book it in for possible replacement, but that seems to be over the top as i will probably never want to use it again as a fax.

Any suggestions would be welcome

Braunston

Have a good look around Vista, surely it's built in.

Cor, brings back memories of long ago. There was one bees-knees fax program though I can't remember it now. Cost a fortune.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camcondor

Free Member
Jul 27, 2007
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
A Class
Have you tried checking if the default dial tone is set to pulse or tone? AFAIK it should be tone dialing, or the dialtone will not be recognised. Windows had a terminal program where you could send commands directly to the modem, not sure if Vista still has it.....the loss of fax capability due to incompatibilities of broadband routers with fax modems is one of the negatives of progress I guess.....I also miss the fax modem!! I think the program you are referring to may be Winfax Pro - I still have a copy somewhere I think - all really tech advanced offices had it in the mid-1990's!!!!:ROFLMAO:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I always liked Cheyenne Bitware which I first obtained when it was bundled with (I think) the second modem I bought. Remember those days when you had to buy a modem because the PC didn't have one? ::bigsmile:

I have it running on this (XP) machine though it's ages since I actually sent/received a fax. Never tried it on Vista but I expect it would run in Compatibility Mode if nothing else.

Graham

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back