Favourite tip/adjustment to make life easier (1 Viewer)

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
In the past we have got in such a mess with all the charger leads:cry::cry:------they used to get all tangled----then we couldn't remember which ones fitted what----------so now all the leads are in zip-top bags with the item it fits written on them :thumb:-------now we have so many, we keep them all in a clip-top plastic box:thumb:
Nigel & Pamala

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
When you run the shower to get the water up to temperature, direct the water into the wash basin, rather than to waste. Thus should the water run out whilst you [or more importantly, SHE] is in a lather, this will give you [or more importantly SHE] an alternative to mopping up the lees in the shower tray with a facecloth in order to remove the suds from your [or more importantly HER] self. Water anxiety resolved!

gypsylady

Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
To store more things in your fridge! Cut the top off a plastic water bottle leaving cap and screw thread; fill plastic bag with opened item to store (eg baked beans, soup, tuna, &c) poke top of bag up through top of cut off bottle top - press bag over screw thread and screw back on top. Place in fridge along with loads of similar bags.

No washing machine - using a cool box place lightly soiled garments in box along with a small anount of water (hot or cold to suit), some washing powder and replace lid. Place box in shower room and drive to next destination, motion of mh will activate water, soap and clothes; rinse out on arrival at destination and dry in normal manner. When not used as a washing machine cool box can be used for storage or as a cool box.

Norman and Sue

If you are using the top and screw part of the water bottles in the fridge, then make sure they are the 5ltr square bottles.

You can use the bottom of the bottle as an open top storage basket in cupboards, makes it easier tostack like items together.

I have dried packet mixes in 1, individual cereal packets in 1 (they always used to dive out of the cupboard before), small games and batteries in another.

I also cut the tops off plastic milk cartons to provide smaller containers for the bathroom cabinet (both at home and away). They can be angled to cut off the handle and leave a higher section that stops bits falling out when moving.

By cutting plastic milk cartons vertically, I have finally found a solution for the cutlery drawer. All eating utensils in 1 bottle, small cooking utensils in another, large knife and spatula lie in the drawer. Normal cutlery trays just didn't work for me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have the roll by hand type of vacuum bags for storing textiles. We use it for spare bedding and extra clothes which take up less space.

We also bought some stainless steel hooks from Lakeland which are invaluable - they are individual square S shape and will hook over most doors including our shower door. Great for drying out towels/ clothes or hanging bags for extra storage :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
carry enough scatter cusions to put one in each cupboard to prevent rattles when travelling and things jumping out at you when you stop and open a cupboard.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Another thought - we always have a thermos flask or two on the go. Then put any surplus hot water from the kettle (after making drinks etc) into a flask. Can either be used for more drinks later or washing up.

And if we're staying somewhere with hook-up, always fill at least two flasks with boiling water from electric kettle before setting off in the morning. Means we can have whatever hot drinks we want on our travels, without bothering to turn the gas on.

By NOT making up tea or coffee in flask, just hot water - it means the water can always be used for washing up if not consumed in drinks.

Likewise, use flasks of hot water when we go through Eurotunnel, so we can have hot drink en route, on the train (not allowed to turn on gas).

Finally, we use a Remoska cooker extensively (Lakeland) - can cook almost anything in it that would otherwise require an oven (which we don't have in the van). With a power rating of only 425 watts can be used on any continental hook-up, even as little as 3 amp. Because of its efficiency and low power consumption, it's often used in the kitchen at home to save on electric too - much cheaper than turning on the oven. Cakes cooked in it are delicious. :thumb:

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Another thought - we always have a thermos flask or two on the go. Then put any surplus hot water from the kettle (after making drinks etc) into a flask. Can either be used for more drinks later or washing up.

And if we're staying somewhere with hook-up, always fill at least two flasks with boiling water from electric kettle before setting off in the morning. Means we can have whatever hot drinks we want on our travels, without bothering to turn the gas on.

By NOT making up tea or coffee in flask, just hot water - it means the water can always be used for washing up if not consumed in drinks.

Likewise, use flasks of hot water when we go through Eurotunnel, so we can have hot drink en route, on the train (not allowed to turn on gas).

Finally, we use a Remoska cooker extensively (Lakeland) - can cook almost anything in it that would otherwise require an oven (which we don't have in the van). With a power rating of only 425 watts can be used on any continental hook-up, even as little as 3 amp. Because of its efficiency and low power consumption, it's often used in the kitchen at home to save on electric too - much cheaper than turning on the oven. Cakes cooked in it are delicious. :thumb:

Brilliant tip-am off to puchase a thermos.:Smile:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We also have a wide-top flask that gets used for cooking - couscous, instant noodles and even pasta. Saves a saucepan, and a gas ring; and keeps the contents hot whilst cooking the rest of the meal.:thumb:

Mike

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
We also have a wide-top flask that gets used for cooking - couscous, instant noodles and even pasta. Saves a saucepan, and a gas ring; and keeps the contents hot whilst cooking the rest of the meal.:thumb:

Mike

Brilliant::bigsmile:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Plastic baskets from £1 -type shops, that fit in cupboards. I have clothes sorted into baskets. DVDs in baskets, shoes in baskets.
Pants in a cushion cover to save cupboard space--looks OK on bed too.
More baskets, or large plastic sandwich boxes store adapters/leads/chargers, travel/site books, etc...
Once I've decided where something is to be stored it stays there to save searching cupboards.

No idea who designed my motorhome with no hanging hooks (idiot!) Sticky ones fell off so looking for good alternative.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Plastic baskets from £1 -type shops, that fit in cupboards. I have clothes sorted into baskets. DVDs in baskets, shoes in baskets.
More baskets, or large plastic sandwich boxes store adapters/leads/chargers, travel/site books, etc...

I have a love of storage boxes & baskets, my kids are always taking the mickey about it..... When my son borrowed the motorhome last summer he said it took them ages to take out all my boxes and there was a huge pile in their garage:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
We have the nets for the back of car seats and have hung them on the inside of the wardrobe door and use them for pants and socks you can get them from Aldi for a couple of pounds.

Also have a few £1 personal panic alarms that we hook on to the bottom of our cab and hab doors out of sight from prying eyes, what a noise they make though is someone opens your door. In the past we used to use bungee ropes on the handle and other end hooked to empty pot again really noisy even though we have a hab alarm fitted.

MisterED

Free Member
Oct 5, 2009
Sunny Aberdeenshire !
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 glorious years, previous 18 a Tugger!
Hey some great tips

Missus loves the idea of the not so smells in a cushion cover, guess her whalebone stays will make it a bit lumpy:ROFLMAO:

I like the cool box auto washing machine trick:Cool:

We have a rail mounted in the shower up high at the back to hang the out of the window type clothes airer on helps dry up whilst driving.

Most importantly you must have a If you can't find it it must be in here cupboard:Doh:

Great tips keep em coming :thumb:

Did I tell you we are off in a week France here we come wheeeeeeeee:Eeek:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back