Favourite authors

Discussion in 'Funster Book Club' started by big bertha, Mar 2, 2014.

1. big bertha

big bertha Funster

Noticed in the pass your time thread that there are a number of readers, who are your favourite authors?
    Mine are, Michael Connolly, Harlan Coben, Robert Crais, Peter Robinson, Karin Slaughter, James Patterson, Linwood Barclay, Mary Higgins Clarke, Jeffrey Deaver, Dean Koontz.

Funny how reading habits changed, used to read romantic fiction when I was younger, Georgette Heyer, Catherine Cookson etc.,:Smile:

2. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I'm still reading Arthur Ransome :Smile:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Hi, I enjoy most of those too Bertha, have you tried lee child or Robert B Parker?

4. acting_strange

acting_strange

Arthur C Clarke, E.E. Doc Smith, Asimov, Kurt Vonegut....Beginning to notice a pattern developing...:Rofl1::Rofl1:

James Patterson, Karin Slaughter, Charles de Lint, Val McDermott, Ellis Peters, Peter Robinson, just to name but a few.....

Just books really...

• Like Like x 1
  5. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I don't know how I missed out Lee Child, read most of his, never read Parker but will give him a try :Smile:

6. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Joe Halderman ( and any one in to scifi who has not read The Forever War has no idea what they are missing..

E E Doc Smith

Harry Harrison ( Some of his stuff fills ALL my literary needs, in that is it funny and scifi )

Issac Asimov

And Arthur C Clarke ( though I oft find his works somewhat laborious truth be told ( esp taking The Garden of Rama and Rama Revealed agin Rendezvous with Rama )

• Like Like x 1
  7. big bertha

big bertha Funster

The first lot are on my OHs side of the bed :BigGrin:
    Missed out Val McDermid from my list :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Mousy

I love watching sci fi but rarely read any so on jaws recommend I've just got joe haldeman.

I did go through a zombie phase but had to stop when I started hoarding food and prepping!

• Like Like x 2
  9. big bertha

big bertha Funster

I watch sci fi only if OH is, sometimes find it to complicated:BigGrin: Love Zombie films, have decided when the Zombie Apocolypse happens will take refuge in my cabin in the wilds of Argyll, already have lots of tinned food and a chainsaw. :Laughing:

Don't think I'll read anymore Child as I'll visualise Tom Cruise as Reacher which will spoil it for me.::Sad:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mousy

I know! My mental jack reacher is nothing like Tom cruise. He's a foot taller for a start!

• Like Like x 4
  11. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Bryce Courtney writes a good yarn "Smokey Joes Café" is true to life

Wilber Smith , Bernard Cornwall, (NO not Sharpe:Doh:) his Lords of the North, Pale Riders etc I can read over and over again
    John Grisham's another

12. big bertha

big bertha Funster

My mental image is probably Steven Seagal in his younger days :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Wilbur Smith, Ken Follet, and Stephen King even though the latter gives me bad dreams.

I used to like John Grisham but I think he has gone downhill

14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

If it's printed I'll read it! However my favourites at the moment, and not in any order of preference:

Josephine Tey
    Audrey Niffenegger
    Terry Pratchett
    Anne McCaffrey's earlier stuff
    Jean Auel (but again it became predictable)

Just a small sample of the fiction - but I'll read almost anything except horror and top shelf.

I read a lot of history, Michael K Jones and Michael Hicks are pretty topical with RIII's bones being found. If I could be bothered I'd get up and look at more titles and authors. Neil Oliver's books are generalist but an easy read - and he is a very nice person.

I've started to listen to audio books as I can iron or do craft work at the same time. The choice is limited but it makes me chose authors I might not have considered before.

Michael Rosen
    Charlie Connelly (loved "Attention All Shipping")
    Kim Wilkins and "Giants of the Frost", a bit of an airport book but the reader was terrific so made the suspense tangible.
    Geraldine Brooks - "The People of the Book" - that was fabulous.
    Peter May's trilogy set on Lewis as I know all the places in Edinburgh and The Western Isles
    Camilla Lackberg for a bit of Scandanavian crime
    Kathleen Tessaro
    and Norah Lofts is a favourite in print and spoken
    Mary Wesley for a quick, easy, fun read.

There are a LOT more.

My present read is Brat Farrar by Josephine Tey and audiobook is "The Snow Child" by Eowyn Ivey but I just started that.

15. movan

movan Funster Life Member

many, many but do like Gerald Seymour and waiting for one on the Syrian situation.

• Like Like x 1
  16. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

The late Tony Hillerman, and now his daughter as well, Margaret Coel and Craig JoHnson, all of whom wrote novels about Wyoming or in Hillermans , novels about the Navajo Tribal Police.
    I also like Lee Child, but cannot watch the film with Tom Cruise in it FFS!.
    I also like Stephen Leather's Spider Shepherd mysteries, and nearly all western novels by any author, as long as it is realistic.:thumb:

17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Eclectic mix

:Wink::Wink:

Stephen King: John Grisham: Tom Sharpe: PG Wodehouse:
    RF Delderfield. JK Rowling .Dickens, Shakespeare. Bernard Cornwell
    More or Less anything except Sci Fi.

:Smile::Smile:

18. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Anyone who likes SciFi should try Iain M Banks, who died all too young last year. The last book of his I read, The Algebraist, is exceptional for inventiveness, suspense and just good writing. In his other guise as plain Iain Banks he was a very successful main stream writer.

Some of his other SciFi books take some getting used to as they are not quite what you expect. Surface Detail reads like an historical novel but bit by bit you realise there are aliens tucked away inside it. Very subtle but some of it is not for the easily offended. The descriptions of medieval torture made me squirm.

There is a whole series called The Culture which are only loosely connected but the first of them, Consider Phlebas would be as good an introduction to his books as any. It is more what you expect from a conventional SciFi book - space battles and three legged aliens with big guns. That sort of thing.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  19. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Not a particular lover of many sci fi books but I have a signed book by Iain Banks and keep wondering if it worth anything.. selling everything to keep motorhome on road. .......

20. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I agree with Jaws about Joe Haldeman (The Forever War, and All My Sins Remembered), and Harry Harrison, especially The Stainless Steel Rat and Bill The Galactic Hero. Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse V is a firm favourite too - so it goes.

My all-time favourite author is Alan Moore (he of graphic novel and comic strip fame), and his foray into paragraphed text called Voice of the Fire is a great read, although the first chapter takes a bit of concentration - the literary equivalent of eating fudge cheesecake. I'm also impressed by Neil Gaiman's Sandman series, despite its rather dark gothic nature.

Outside of Science Fiction I rate Michael Herr's Dispatches very highly, and am thoroughly enjoying working my way through the Biggles books of Captain W E Johns, which I never read in childhood.

Other authors I've liked include Raymond Chandler, C S Forester, and Homer (Odyssey, not Simpson).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014