Faulty RCD. (1 Viewer)

shezza

Free Member
Jun 4, 2009
Funster No
Hi All, We have just had a week away with our new Sunseeker 140 and used the electric hook up for the first time. On checking that the RCD tripped by pressing the test button nothing switched off micro wave and tv all stopped on.
The trouble is I live in Notingham and I purchased the MH from a West Country dealer
who have been very good and said that if I find an Explorer dealer locally I can get the work done, the problem is all he dealers are busy servicing their own sales.
So my question is does anyone know of an Mobile explorere technician in the Nottingham area who could do the job.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The trouble is I live in Notingham and I purchased the MH from a West Country dealer

A word of warning to every MH purchaser. This keeps cropping up. People buy a long way from home to get the deal they want then regret it later when they find that it's not like a car warranty, a closer dealer will often tell you to sling your hook.

Have you checked *every* 240V outlet just in case the microwave bypassed the RCD because it might trip it.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

if the RCD is faulty (and it sounds like it is ) no need to find a MH engineer (whatever they are) any qualified sparks will be able to check it and replace if required .. if you were near Colchester I would do it for you..

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Have you, or can you plug in at home, to double check that the fault is with the van and not a dodgy hook up post, you really need a mobile electrician,
Geo

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
A dodgy hook up shouldn't matter because in RCD's that I am familiar with, the test button doesn't actually create an earth fault, but simulates one by connecting a resistor between the active conductors so as to cause an imbalance.

Being a new vehicle, I suppose it is always possible that the RCD has been deliberately bypassed - but of course this would mean that the power would remain on when you manually switch the breaker off and I assume you have checked that.

Ruddy

Free Member
Feb 24, 2009
Haverhill,Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
> 1yr
Do you have more than one RCD ? mine's got 3, One 5 amp for the fridge and a 16 amp for the other sockets, The other 30 amp is the main one.

Have you tried tripping them all to make sure you got the right one for the sockets ?

If the RCD is at fault (which do'es happen) their about £4, Two screws to hold the wires in.
I have seen people have problems with them tripping out and bypassing by putting both wires in the same hole :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Do you have more than one RCD ? mine's got 3, One 5 amp for the fridge and a 16 amp for the other sockets, The other 30 amp is the main one.

Have you tried tripping them all to make sure you got the right one for the sockets ?

If the RCD is at fault (which do'es happen) their about £4, Two screws to hold the wires in.
I have seen people have problems with them tripping out and bypassing by putting both wires in the same hole :Eeek:

Hi

You are confusing RCD ( Residual Currant Device ) with MCB , ( Miniture Circuit Breaker )

You may have several MCBs, as you describe, but only one RCD which is the main switch and earth leakage trip.

If anyone is in doubt or confused please don't 'play' with electrical equipment, it seldom takes prisoners ... seek professional advice.

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back