Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Speaking as a married daughter can I say I find stories of amusing childhoods make me cringe. And those special moments between father and daughter are between father and daughter and should stay that way really. They wouldn't be so special shared with anyone else - including your mother.

Can I quote something else that always stood me in good stead?

KISS.

Keep it simple, stupid! :thumb:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Speaking as a married daughter can I say I find stories of amusing childhoods make me cringe. And those special moments between father and daughter are between father and daughter and should stay that way really. They wouldn't be so special shared with anyone else - including your mother.

Can I quote something else that always stood me in good stead?

KISS.

Keep it simple, stupid! :thumb:

point well received and my daughter is a Jenny too x

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Is the event taking place in Bolsover?

Don't get mixed up with the Christmas festival and lantern parade.

Gill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I would try to keep it short and sweet - everyone will appreciate that.

Most of all though relax and enjoy your day. Even if you fluff your lines no one will care.

At my second wedding I thanked my brother for being my best man and as an aside added " again".

That brought a lot of laughter but an icy glare from my Wife's Grandmother.::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
David, you've had some good advice, the "short and sweet" one is good, because I was told of a best man's speech that went on too long, his problem being that "he" thought he was funny, but nobody else did:Blush:

It now looks as if I will now be in the same boat sometime in the future, we went out for a meal with our daughter and her boyfriend of 8 years on Saturday night. They told us that they had decided to get married.............so you've started something now:RollEyes:
So, by the time Karen's wedding comes around I can get some good advice from yourself....

Bill

Last edited:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Adapted from my fathers wedding speech:-

Many years ago my father told me that the art to the perfect speech is to Stand Up, Speak Up, Shut Up and Sit down. As you know children dont always listen to their parents so are you all sitting comfortably. (everyone laughed)

You could alter it to

Having been given advice on speeches I was told that the art to the perfect speech is to Stand Up, Speak Up, Shut Up and Sit down. As I dont always follow advice I just want to check you are all sitting comfortably as I have some advice for my daughter and son in law.

and then go

(pull out a long roll of fax paper or a massive pile of A4 sheets of paper) saying it wont take too many hours to get through this lot.

No seriously I welcome ......... (soninlaws name) into our family and entrust our daughters care to him.

The best advice I can give to you both is this.

Courting does not end just because you are married. For a long life together, respect each other, talk to each other, be honest with each other and do not take what each of you do both in the house and for each other for granted.

Remember Your speech does not have to be funny and it does not have to be long for it to have an impact on both their lives for as long as they remain married. It needs to say what you want it to say. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Your words will hopefully stay with them and be remembered in many many years to come

As a "daughter" if you want to PM me with what you decide on I will happily have a read xxxxx

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Is the event taking place in Bolsover?

Don't get mixed up with the Christmas festival and lantern parade.

Gill

No, my daughter has sorted it all, we are off to a venue near Wetherby with accommodation and hall for wedding and reception

Not seen it yet but it sounds brilliant, but it will be the first lantern parade we have missed, been going since it started and my girls were in primary school

I presume you are local to know about the parade, have fun if you are going

I have wondered about getting local Funsters together in a local pub, not really sure how you can select locals only through the forums

May get to meet you one day, we may already know each other :Smile:

David

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
David, you've had some good advice, the "short and sweet" one is good, because I was told of a best man's speech that went on too long, his problem being that "he" thought he was funny, but nobody else did:Blush:

It now looks as if I will now be in the same boat sometime in the future, we went out for a meal with our daughter and her boyfriend of 8 years on Saturday night. They told us that they had decided to get married.............so you've started something now:RollEyes:
So, by the time Karen's wedding comes around I can get some good advice from yourself....

Bill

Fantastic news

Thanks for your input, don't leave your speech as late as I have

David

Diddly

Free Member
Nov 15, 2013
Durham
Funster No
MH
Not yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Good Luck!

I have had 11 months to sort this out, now have 7 days

What on earth do I have to say, to who, about whom, for how long, funny / not funny?

????????????????

and its a GP weekend (much easier to watch that and follow FUN) !!

David

Good luck for you, your OH and your family on the day. Having read these posts, you can't be short of material now. But what to choose? Yikes! :shout:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
A very happy Daddy

All done, daughter married, speech prepared (thanks again, I used and thought about a good few of your comments) and presented, kept it together till near the end, but got away with it - extended pause and dab of one eye did it

Had a scare at the start, I had worked on speech for most of the day in my mind, had a good bit of it memorised, sat down for dinner with another half hour at least to compose myself, to have a tap on shoulder from master of ceremony to say you're on sir, father of the bride goes first which I knew, but I swear nobody told me speeches were before we ate, at least no time to sit and worry anymore!

We have a great family who knew I was nervous, and a couple of them set up a whooping cheer as I stood joined by the others in a more controlled applause, but that was great, gave me a few seconds after standing up to have a look around them all, smile with them and then set off.

A truly lovely day

:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
All you need to do now, is laminate your speech and give it to her as a christmas present so that in many many years to come she always has your words xxxxxxxxx

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Oh, that's a lovely idea Gail !

I would have loved that, even though my dad wasn't a great speechmaker, LOL

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
but it will be the first lantern parade we have missed, been going since it started and my girls were in primary school

I presume you are local to know about the parade, have fun if you are going

I have wondered about getting local Funsters together in a local pub, not really sure how you can select locals only through the forums

May get to meet you one day, we may already know each other :Smile:

David

Glad to hear it all went well with you.

The lantern parade was busy as usual and for a nice change it wasn't freezing cold.

Yes, we are local to Bolsover and you never know, may get to meet one day.

Gill

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
All done, daughter married, speech prepared (thanks again, I used and thought about a good few of your comments) and presented, kept it together till near the end, but got away with it - extended pause and dab of one eye did it

Had a scare at the start, I had worked on speech for most of the day in my mind, had a good bit of it memorised, sat down for dinner with another half hour at least to compose myself, to have a tap on shoulder from master of ceremony to say you're on sir, father of the bride goes first which I knew, but I swear nobody told me speeches were before we ate, at least no time to sit and worry anymore!

We have a great family who knew I was nervous, and a couple of them set up a whooping cheer as I stood joined by the others in a more controlled applause, but that was great, gave me a few seconds after standing up to have a look around them all, smile with them and then set off.

A truly lovely day

David, really glad to hear it all went well! We were surprised to hear that the speeches at our son's wedding were before the meal.......but at least I could sit down and enjoy the meal then, without having indigestion worrying about it had the speeches been after the meal:Doh:
Love your knew avatar with Lola

Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back