Farewell to the caravan and tent, welcome campervan (1 Viewer)

JWTaylor

Free Member
Sep 26, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
After years of camping and caravanning we have at long last taken the plunge and bought our first motorhome. We had a list of criteria - including fixed bed and garage, but when we saw our 1998, Hymer B584 it didn't fit the crieria but looking in superb condition it cried out 'buy me'.

We took a long time in getting to this point as we had debated about practicalities of what to do when you get to a site and you want to pop out for meal, day etc, hassle of packing up etc. But with our son starting university 200 miles away we took the plunge.

A couple of questions to Hymer B584 owners - what mpg can I reasonably expect? and secondly, the rooflight in the bathroom is fading and has that aged yellow tint. Is it an easy and relatively non-expensive job to replace?

Look forward to hearing from you,

JWT

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Welcome JWT, first off well done on finding Motorhome Fun, a lot of information on here.

We have had our 584 for 7 years now on a 2,000 plate and still love it as much as when we bought it.

Your mileage we average 26mpg running around and 30 on motorways.

Don't think there is a lot to be done with the roof light in the bathroom, with out a new one being fitted, if the original is still working I would leave it and see how you get on with it. Give it a clean on the out side but be careful they can be fragile.

For getting about we have two Assist bikes on the bike rack, we find with these we can explore the area seeing things we would other wise miss. Alternatively some would rather a scooter on the back.

I am sure you will enjoy your 584, the floor space you get in a 6 meter van is exceptional. If you don't have a cooker in it check out double skillets on the search facility above. Enjoy and welcome :welcomefunster:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello JWT
Welcome to MHF. Ralph has just replaced the opening roof window with the net meshing on above the kitchen area in our motorhome.
He bought a second hand , but unused boxed one off ebay. It cost about £40 with delivery.
Waited for a nice dry day , took the old one out and replaced it with the new one. Its a lot better as the window is clear instead of white. So it lets more light into the kitchen area. Plus the grubby looking net with dead flies at the back of it is gone . ( till it collects new ones:RollEyes:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back