FAQs - Our Motorhome Notes

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Mar 31, 2013.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Almost inevitably the same questions arise on motorhome forums as new members join having just bought a motorhome (or being in the process of considering one). For a while now I've had in the back of my mind the idea of creating a web page based on our own experiences to attempt to provide answers to some of those questions.

It is very much a work in progress so will probably never be complete. Hopefully it will be of use to somebody. Click Here.

• Like Like x 31
  2. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Good work

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Nice one Graham - reminds me WHY we like a FIXED bed ... no messing about with boards etc each night! :Smile:

4. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

Great idea - I had a list of 'requirements' when looking for our MH, fixed bed, swivel seats, extra seat belts, a/c - ended up with a Burstner T615:thumb: .......because the wife liked the upholstery !! :Doh:(which I didn't)

What were your 19 requirements ?

5. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

I had a 'look' and although you state the caveat that it is based on your own experiences it is heavily biassed and dominated by your own point of view.

Much of it is specific to the two vans that you have owned and therefore limited by your own very narrow range of experience. I am not sure what message you are giving in your section on 'Off site camping' other than you disapprove strongly :Eek!:

The nature of your intended audience is likely to be 'advice seeking' and I think that your comments generally are based on personal experience and might be considered authoritative by newcomers.

I like the concept of your intentions but perhaps it may 'scan' better if you changed the title to something like 'Our personal motorhome experience and views' then no one like me would be able to offer comments like mine :Eek!:

I do of course say all this with a smile and do not wish to offend you. I am just offering up another consideration.

:Smile:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
    • Like Like x 3
  6. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Perhaps you missed this in the title " based on our experiences" ?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  7. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Jim, No I didn't. I am suggesting that the FAQ page is very heavily biased towards the author's personal opinions and experiences. Maybe you missed my first line ? :Wink:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

yes.. I did ... :Laughing:

• Like Like x 2
  9. J H

J H Funster

Of Course it is - what else do you expect?

• Like Like x 2
  10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

You say you do not wish to offend but, quite frankly, I do find your post offensive.

As Jim pointed out, I state right up front that it is based upon our experiences. The section on Off Site Camping happens to be based on experience arising from in depth research over the last six and a half years. Yes, it contains my opinions but those opinions are all backed up by the facts also stated there.

If people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so. It is also perfectly possible for others to create similar pages giving their own points of view if they wish to. That, though, would take rather more effort than simply "having a go", so I don't suppose there is much chance of it happening.

• Like Like x 10
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

There's a PDF link in the text.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

A bit like a day in the life of you and your van.
    The factual parts speak for themselves but the WILD camping piece I'm my opinion is utter tosh!
    I've had my Motorhome in some truly WILD locations in Scotland,miles from anywhere and anyone.As a matter of fact it's not illegal to sleep in your Motorhome ,and as far as drinking water goes its a matter of personal taste however there is enough chlorine in uk tap water for it be safe enough to drink straight from your mh tank.
    There's advice both good and bad and then there's being miss informed.

Vlad.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As I said above, if people do not wish to read the page or do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so. However, if you are going to read it then please actually read what it says.

Nowhere do I state that it is generally illegal to sleep in a motorhome but it is not true that it is "a matter of fact it's not illegal to sleep in your Motorhome". There are many places throughout the UK where there is a ban on sleeping in a motorhome and it is that fact which is the basis of my statement "Selfishly indulging..................", Scarborough Borough Council being the most recent example I can recall of a council bringing in extra restrictions because of abuse (those restrictions definitely making it illegal to sleep in a motorhome in the places covered).

As regards drinking water, that section is totally a description of our own experiences and states quite clearly that the reason for using a filter was off-flavours rather than purity (if you look again you'll see there is a clue in the words "though the water was safe").

• Like Like x 2
  14. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

As you so rightly point out ,read what it says!
    You can,and I do,wild camp in a Motorhome.
    Fact ! It is not illegal to sleep in your vehicle,I do however when I selfishly indulge I make sure I do so legally.

Vlad

15. Spottycatz

Spottycatz Read Only Funster

I think it's great that you guys can call each others work, 'utter tosh' and have no qualms about it. :thumb:
    Personally, as a newbie to all this stuff, I found the article interesting. After all, that's what info forums are for.... I think.
    Anyway, I'll just go on reading all the utter tosh that is posted and learn what I can from all of it. :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 16
  16. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Just a point of order here sir !!

I have NOT read it so have no valid comments to make on the blog / faq..

BUT !!

Is not:

An absolute classic oxymoron !!?

How can a person form an opinion as to whether they agree with what is written UNTIL they have read it ? :Blush::Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  17. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Point taken John :BigGrin:
    If people do not wish to read the page then they do not have to do so.
    If, having read the page, people do not agree with what I have written then they do not have to do so.
    :thumb::Wink:

• Like Like x 2
  18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

:BigGrin: I've just added some more tosh so enjoy :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 5
  19. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi Graham, good work. :thumb: Clearly the FAQs are based upon your experience and point of view and are not pretending to be some definitive item. So not sure why you should get any flak for it. I look forward to you adding and refining the FAQ from your further camping experiences:thumb:

• Like Like x 8
  20. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Would it be an idea for Jim to create a top tips section on the site ?:thumb: