Fantastic News regarding Batteries (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
After years of research and millions of dollars spent, I bet the egg-heads will give up and concede that lead-acid cells offer the most economical solution!:ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Sorry Grommet.. Lost interest while waiting for it to load ...

It is the sort of site built by geeks.. Loads of bells whistles clever stuff and animated adverts BEFORE getting to the page you want

I despair of these people.. far too clever for their own good

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp

It is the sort of site built by geeks.. Loads of bells whistles clever stuff and animated adverts BEFORE getting to the page you want

And with your signatures!!
Bit like the kettle calling the pot black ass! :ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
LOL !! If my sig block takes 40 seconds to load I reckon you need a better internet connection !! :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
in five years time, I'll not care about the price or quality of batteries. In fact I doubt I'll care about anything that far off.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You poor old sod you !!! In five years time I wanna be training to be an astronaut !!

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
with all those cosmic rays destroying your bain and giving you cancer, not really a good idea, hee hee.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Your premiss is flawed at a rather basic level be ol' china

You presume I have a brain ! :Eeek:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005

I am on a 3G connection and it loads fast. Must be you:winky::ROFLMAO:

Computerworld - The U.S. Dept. of Energy has set a goal to develop battery and energy storage technologies that are five times more powerful and five times cheaper than today's within five years.
To accomplish this, U.S. Energy Secretary Stephen Chu is taking some lesson from U.S. history.
The DOE is creating a new Joint Center for Energy Storage Research, at a cost of $120 million over five years, that's intended to reproduce development environments that were successfully used by Bell Laboratories in the World War II Manhattan Project that produced an atomic bomb.
"When you had to deliver the goods very, very quickly, you needed to put the best scientists next to the best engineers across disciplines to get very focused," said Chu at a press conference Friday that was streamed live from Argonne National Laboratory in Illinois. The center will be located there.
The Battery and Energy Storage Hub project will involve six national labs, five universities -- Northwestern University, University of Chicago, University of Illinois-Chicago, University of Illinois-Urbana Champaign, and University of Michigan -- and four private firms, Dow Chemical, Applied Materials, Johnson Controls, and Clean Energy Trust.
While physical proximity will have a role in the research, Chu said electronic communications and video conferencing will help achieve similar results.
The intent is to organize research in a way that can "change the rate in which something is actually done," said Chu. The key is moving technology innovations from the lab to the private sector as quickly as possible, he said.
Improving battery technology is seen as pivotal to transportation and storage, particularly around the need to store solar and wind energy.
Chu said the idea of seeking a 5X improvement is really around getting the battery and energy storage prices to a point where they will gain widespread adoption.
"We look very carefully at the price points," said Chu, who cited the impact of falling prices on cell phones of PCs, as examples of how low prices trigger mass adoption.
Chu said the effort it's "very, very important for American industrial competitiveness that research be intimately linked with manufacturing in a way that will propel the United States forward. This is what the whole Hub concept is about."
The intent isn't to aim for incremental improvements of existing technology, but to seek new approaches and "rapidly drive towards electrochemical energy storage solutions beyond the current limits," according to DOE's proposal.
DOE, in its solicitation for proposals, said current battery research is typically focused on one particular problem "and thus lacks the resources and the diverse breadth of talent to consider holistic solutions."
The goal of the Hub is to create a "critical mass for the best, most innovative and far-reaching ideas."
"Based on new understanding, the Hub should foster new energy storage designs that begin with a 'clean sheet of paper' -- overcoming current manufacturing limitations through innovation to reduce complexity and cost," said DOE.
Chu personalized the results.
When his home lost power recently, Chu said he did some calculations and said with battery storage improvements someone could halve the number of solar panels on their roof, "you can be 80% self-sufficient and blackout immune," he said. If prices were less than $10,000 for that system, "I would get that," he said.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I am on a 3G connection and it loads fast. Must be you:winky::ROFLMAO:

I never even got to the information !! The page that came up before with an advert and info telling how WONDERFUL the web site and Computerworld is loaded, then it did some rather natty ( yawnnnnnnn :ROFLMAO: ) stuff with said grafix.. then I lost interest and bailed out !!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Cannot see it happening:Doh: they will have to throw a lot more money at it :thumb: Vehicle makers have been trying to develop batteries for years and not made that much progress. Unfortunately as things stand batteries are knackered after 5 years or so and to Joe public just too expensive --even if they do it we will not get a 5 x s more powerful battery anything like 5 xs cheaper :Doh: 5 x s dearer maybe ::bigsmile:
terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You poor old sod you !!! In five years time I wanna be training to be an astronaut !!

That was the most exciting thing about going to motorcyclelive, Branson has parked his space shuttle out front.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
LOL !! If my sig block takes 40 seconds to load I reckon you need a better internet connection !! :ROFLMAO:

Just something to think about you guys. This is a Motorhome website and some of us are actually using our Motorhomes 24/7/365 struggling with dongle and weak WiFi connections to access this site. KIS. Getting a better internet connection is not an option, unlike those in bricks and mortar. We take what we can get at the time.

John

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back