Fancy a drive to Barcelona in October?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Theonlysue, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Hi,
    have got 3 weeks off work from October 9th, and planning to head to Barcelona :driving2: to meet up with FUNSTERS Bill and Carole from the ITALIAN JOB this year.:BigGrin:

Anyone else want to come along? Weather should be good!!

Let me know

Sue

2. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Nah, we're going the last two weeks in september ta

3. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We are thinking of a drive through France around that time,to get to Spain, maybe get hubby to finally do it with a bit of coaxing:thumb:

4. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

Going end of September and meandering down via the South of France. Will be flying through "Bandit Alley" around the 10th/11th October heading for the winter quarters.

Pete:Cool:

5. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Cool: Same here. :thumb:

6. TDH

TDH Funster

We're going to be heading down that way at around that time - we're going to the Fete de l'angouille (Eelfest) in St Laurent, near Perpignan on October 3rd - well worth a diversion if you're in the area at that time - and then getting the Barcelona - Genoa ferry the following weekend. Good to meet up if it all works to plan.

7. Theonlysue

8. loneranger

loneranger Read Only Funster

I guess bandit alley is the motorways ??? Vicarious Books do not recommend stopping longer than necessary in any of their service stations and definitely not overnighting.

I am certainly interested in joining you as I had planned on going to Spain this autumn. I have the books and the map . . .

RedSonja would have introduced us at Stratford but you were nowhere to be seen.

I was admiring your van :)

Ann

9. Pikey Pete

"Bandit Alley" is the motorway section between Perpignan and Barcelona where you do not overnight on services and you watch out for the unmarked police car scam. You do not stop for anyone other than the flashing blue headlights of a genuine police car.
    Best not to stop for fuel either if you can avoid it as the towrags are just waiting for the unsuspecting.
    The N roads are not that safe either, so if you plan to stop in that area you should use a campsite.
    October is a good time for the villains as snowbirds from all over Europe are heading to Spain for the winter.

10. Theonlysue

Blimey - thats it!! Staying in Essex :rain: :Rofl1:
    S

11. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Wink: Do NOT stop at the AP7 Service stations around Barcelona longer than necessary and do NOT leave the Motorhome unattended at ANY time.
    One OTHER thing.Do NOT stop if jestured to by another Motorist suggesting you have a problem. :thumb:

12. TDH

TDH Funster

We spotted this scam the other week - bloke stood next to a white Volvo on that road, trying to flag down motorists. Funnily enough I saw it last year around Beziers and that was a Volvo as well. Blinkin' antique dealers!

Luckily, The Rosabella wouldn't be a particularly good catch - in fact, if anybody sees a bald-headed fat bloke stood next to a white Ducato panel-van conversion, flagging down traffic, DEFINITELY STOP!! :thumb:

13. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi

Totally agree we were confronted by the unmarked police car just on the outskirts of Barcelona, bar???teds and that has put us off visiting Spain.

If I were going again I would try to get up a small convoy for protection, I did read on another web site some time ago that there was a suggestion a lot of the French meet up before traversing through certain known problem areas, can't confirm if its true but it would make sense.

14. Pikey Pete

I'm not trying to put anyone off going to Spain it's a great country to visit.
    If you're aware of the dangers of travelling across Europe then you are likely to be more careful.
    The chances of getting robbed are pretty slim, and can be made even slimmer by being aware.

I got robbed on the A75 services at Millau last August and frankly it was my fault as I let my guard slip. Could have said I got gassed:Rofl1: Has it put me off? Not a chance!

Plenty of people get robbed in the UK so why should Spain and France etc. be any different.

15. Braunston

Braunston Read Only Funster

Hi,

Totally agree about the possibility of being robbed anywhere, but if you know or are made aware of a possible problem area then most people do all that they can to avoid that place, no matter what country you are in,

The unfortunate problem with Spain in my opinion that most of the main routes into the country suffer from the same scum trying to rob people in one way or another, which is why I have decide to avoid going there as it appears whether you take the west coast crossing at San Sebastion or the route we have been talking about you will at some point have to run a gauntlet e.g Madrid, Valencia, Barcelona and the parts of France that connect.

I'm not anti any country but if I have to run a gauntlet of areas that are wildly known to be areas where people get robbed, I avoid them

16. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I drove down to L'escala on that route in the MH about 4 weeks ago.

I was blissfully unaware of its reputation.

Fortunately I had no problems

17. MrJinks

MrJinks Read Only Funster

We are travelling that direction about then. Although planning to stay L'Estartit - Palafrugel area on Costa Brava unless weather not too good than maybe further south. No definate plans yet so will keep it in mind.

18. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

we are going over on the 26th september dover calais crossing, will end up in san miguel de salinas for a family party.

19. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

If you are looking for safe open-all-year campsites, don't forget Parc Verger (www.parcverger.com) near Limoges - we'll lay in the beers! Third Sunday in October is fete day in the village (you could win a piglet - that's Christmas lunch solved) and fourth Sunday in October is the Chestnut fair at Dournazac, just down the road.

So there is plenty to stop off for! Cheers

Bob and Di

20. Theonlysue

All booked. Leaving Dover Sat 9 Oct for 3 weeks. :BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:

S.