Fan Heater advice in Motorhome (1 Viewer)

Freestyle

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
I need a new fan heater for my Calypso motorhome when using an electric hook up.
Can anyone recommend a very quiet heater that would do the job. The one I am using at the moment is too noisy when it switches on in the night.
Thanks a lot folks in advance!
Freestyle

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I've just bought a Challenge 2.4 from Argos, £20. Very quiet, various settings and the thermostat is cutting in during the night, keeping us all warm. So quiet I don't even hear it at night.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
I hope this doesn't sound condescending but please be careful with Fan Heaters in a small place like a Motorhome, especially if left on at night. They produce a fair amount of concentrated heat and if placed close to soft furnishings or the heater is accidentally covered with Bedding etc it could pose a Fire Risk.
Far safer to use an electric oil filled radiator. The disadvantage is that they are heavier & a little larger but don't dry your eyeballs out !
Probably a good time to mention about checking your smoke alarm batteries with the advent of colder weather & the associated increase in use of heaters. That's Van's as well as homes.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited by a moderator:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've just bought a Challenge 2.4 from Argos, £20. Very quiet, various settings and the thermostat is cutting in during the night, keeping us all warm. So quiet I don't even hear it at night.

We've got the same one. No probs but would never leave one on when Out/Asleep.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We carry a fan heater and in winter, two small oil-filled radiators as well (600 watts & 900 watts).

The fan heater is good for a quick warm up, but we find the background warmth from the oil radiators much more pleasant over an extended period in the relatively confined space of the MH.

Obviously, need to be careful about how much power is being drawn - normally wouldn't use a combination of heating that totalled more than 1600 watts (ie either both oil rads together, or the fan on 1kw and the small 600-watt rad).

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I agree with Jez and Mike.....oil filled rad is far safer during the night than a fan heater.

and of course, completely silent.

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
All these electric heaters being used in winter.....................no wonder site fee's keep rising

my three 120w tubular heaters make for a reasonable background heat, the two 400w frost protectors keep the bedroom and lounge nice and warm. but if it's really cold we stick with the eberspacher and for when no hookup and as a backup to the eberspacher we have a small bio ethanol fire.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I hope this doesn't sound condescending .

I had the fan heater from the MH in the garage all summer. I put it in the van before going to Jim's to air the place but luckily did not leave immediately.

Hisssss, crackle. I Looked inside and part of the heater was sparking white hot.

It may have just stopped or it may have set fire. Had it set fire the van would not have been insured - I checked a while ago.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Winter heat

When the weather gets REALLY cold, we'd have the external and internal screens on early, then use a small rotating three element ceramic heater until we go to bed, then switch the lot off. Not keen on leaving anything on overnight. And we've camped all year round in all conditions and it works for us.:thumb:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Oil filled radiator for us. If we are paying for a hook up then we take full advantage of it. No noise during the night.:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Some info here about the various types of electric heaters which is very interesting:

http://sufidreamer.hubpages.com/hub...een-Convection-Heaters-And-Conduction-Heaters

interesting and more important for me is that I seem to have it right as regards the electric heating set up I have, it is all natural convection with a total wattage of 1220, easily heats and maintains the heating of the van to a very comfortable level and more importantly as it is spread throughout the van no cold spots

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we use a Dyson bladeless fan, a bit of noise, but not much, put it on sink top so no issues with anything landing on it, very efficient.

Kin expensive to buy though!!

David

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
We have just bought a Dimplex Eco Chico OFRB7 700w oil free baby column heater which has all the benefits of an oil filled radiator but no risk of oil leaking & lighter - speedy heat up too. Not cheap at £42-£55 online but hopefully worth the outlay as it has 3 year warranty.

dogman

Free Member
Oct 24, 2013
chepstow
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
I'm a newbie
Taking advice (in another post on this site) I purchased this oil filled radiator from E bay Link Removed
Looks good, fairly small and light, no danger of fire, reasonable price, free delivery.
A friend lived in a 40 foot caravan for over a year while he built a house, after moving in he tried to sell the caravan but had no luck so decided to burn it as space was at a premium. Taking a handful of newspaper, he put it just inside the doorway, set light to it and closed the door, 15 minutes later there was very little left of it, he was horrified, living in it for a year using 2 bar electric heaters together with two children and a dog the potential for disaster was ever present.
Made of plastic, hardboard, upholstery and wood we then fill it up with other burnables like bedding and clothing, add to it a drop of petrol for the genny, the tank on said genny, 1 or two gas bottles and a tank full of diesel, a true recipe for tragedy:Eeek:. Although I have fitted a CO2 alarm I have not yet fitted a smoke alarm, something that will be put right today before our first venture out tomorrow for the weekend.
Cal

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Heat

We have a DeLonghi cool heat - very quiet, two heat settings and as the name suggests, it can also blow unheated air if required.

Russell

OP
OP
Freestyle

Freestyle

Free Member
Oct 5, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
30+
Heaters

Thanks . You have all given me food for thought, will look into all your advice. Like the sound of the oil filled radiators. No noise there! But being a small van space is at a premium. Thanks again!:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
using the EHU for heating is abusing the system. We have gas fires for cold weather. No wonder the costs of EHU on sites is escalating.
But then I don't use sites so who cares:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Fan heaters are potentially very dangerous, particularly cheaper imports that are now a few years old. Some of the older models (often sold for £10-£15) have only one thermal cut-out device, usually a tiny thermal fuse, which cannot be relied on to fail safe. Or worse still, a push-in overheat resettable button that can easily become stuck. The very worst models incorporate a plastic fan, producing rapid flaming; following an internal overheat, if the fan blades become stuck. In a Motorhome or caravan you wouldn't stand much of a chance of escape, even with a smoke alarm.

D

DM14742

Deleted User
using the EHU for heating is abusing the system. We have gas fires for cold weather. No wonder the costs of EHU on sites is escalating.
But then I don't use sites so who cares:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Again a polite request, get a CO detector for your Van if you haven't already :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi tried oil filled but it always seemed to be in the way so back to a fan heater :thumb: After trying quite a few pifco etc I have settled on a digitally controlled one from lidl :thumb: under 20 quid remote control and only a couple of degrees between on and off unlike all the others that have about 10 degrees between on and off :Smile: it comes with a knock over cut out switch and oscillates. We simply stand it in the kitchen area set it to 19 or 20 degrees and forget about it :thumb:turns itself on and off all night long and because its a very narrow band no hot or cold temperature difference, recomend it to anyone :thumb:
Terry

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
I use the inbuilt carver electric blower with outlet pipes.
It has a cut out ,quiet, the elements are built into a sealed aluminium casing to stop any fire problems---- maybe that's why they fit them as standard:thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Some info here about the various types of electric heaters which is very interesting:

Interesting sloppy inaccurate writing if you'll pardon me saying so....

>> one of two processes to heat a room, namely convection and conduction.

Wrong, he describes convection and radiation. Conduction is transfer by contact, as in an electric hob.

>> it takes little extra electricity to maintain the temperature after the initial heating.

That is nothing to do with oil filled but a function of the insulation of your room.

>> The inbuilt fan means that they need a lot of electricity to operate,

Rubbish. A fan uses little electricity. A 1000W heater churns out 1000W of heat no matter how it turns that 1000W of electricity into 1000W of heat.

I hate sloppy writing like this. It makes any valid points less obvious.

Remember 1000W is 1000W and that's how much heat you get,

What is up for debate is safety and heat spread.

A real problem in our Luton design is so much heat drifts up into the bed area, OK at night ( well not in sunny hot countries ) and the edges of the room stay cold and pipes in cupboards freeze because cupboards are near the outside and heat does not penetrate from inside. Our van has hot air routed by the water pipes so the best heat for us is the inbuilt one and that is covered by insurance.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We've gone along the same line as the Wombles. We've just bought an Eco Chico by Dimplex. It looks like an oil filled radiator but is lighter, smaller, heats up more quickly and can't leak oil.
We've not tried it in the van yet but its pretty good in the house.
Bryn

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Maybe I'm missing something here but our van, like all our caravans. has blown air heating which works off gas and/or electric. I can't see the need for any auxiliary heating devices. The Truma heater in our van is very quiet and heats the van adequately, only needed the gas on a couple of occasions when it was well below freezing.

Rgds
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Maybe I'm missing something here but our van, like all our caravans. has blown air heating which works off gas and/or electric. I can't see the need for any auxiliary heating devices. The Truma heater in our van is very quiet and heats the van adequately, only needed the gas on a couple of occasions when it was well below freezing.

Rgds
Bill

I like you am blessed with electric and or gas options for heating, I presume these questions are all from folk who have only got gas heating, our last MH did not have electric heating, except water, we did use a fan heater then but mainly so as not to risk running out of gas, more than the cost of the gas

If the owners of a MH with electric heating fitted are also carrying a fan or oil filled rad there really is no hope for them, other than I see a good few heating awnings with them, but that opens a new debate

David

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Don't get me started on those halogen heaters in the awnings! Very recently on a site we were amazed to see a couple arrive back to their caravan in the early evening, the heater had been on in their awning all afternoon!

Having always had gas/electric heating in my various caravans and the motorhome I wasn't aware that some only have gas heating so I understand their predicament now. In a couple of weeks I shall be placing a thermostatically controlled convector heater in the van to keep it dry though we don't get much frost here.

Rgds
Bill

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Don't get me started on those halogen heaters in the awnings! Very recently on a site we were amazed to see a couple arrive back to their caravan in the early evening, the heater had been on in their awning all afternoon!

Having always had gas/electric heating in my various caravans and the motorhome I wasn't aware that some only have gas heating so I understand their predicament now. In a couple of weeks I shall be placing a thermostatically controlled convector heater in the van to keep it dry though we don't get much frost here.

Rgds
Bill

I use my MH heater for this, just set it to 8C let the thermostat look after it, this also keeps the heater active and sends air all round, including garage. Is there a reason why you don't?

I am a bit worried for all users of non fitted heaters regarding insurance, see Hilldwellers comments earlier

David

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back