Fan Heater advice in Motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Freestyle, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Freestyle

Freestyle Read Only Funster

I need a new fan heater for my Calypso motorhome when using an electric hook up.
    Can anyone recommend a very quiet heater that would do the job. The one I am using at the moment is too noisy when it switches on in the night.
    Thanks a lot folks in advance!
    Freestyle

2. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I've just bought a Challenge 2.4 from Argos, £20. Very quiet, various settings and the thermostat is cutting in during the night, keeping us all warm. So quiet I don't even hear it at night.

3. Jez and Lin

Jez and Lin Funster Life Member

I hope this doesn't sound condescending but please be careful with Fan Heaters in a small place like a Motorhome, especially if left on at night. They produce a fair amount of concentrated heat and if placed close to soft furnishings or the heater is accidentally covered with Bedding etc it could pose a Fire Risk.
    Far safer to use an electric oil filled radiator. The disadvantage is that they are heavier & a little larger but don't dry your eyeballs out !
    Probably a good time to mention about checking your smoke alarm batteries with the advent of colder weather & the associated increase in use of heaters. That's Van's as well as homes.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
    • Like Like x 15
  4. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

We've got the same one. No probs but would never leave one on when Out/Asleep.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We carry a fan heater and in winter, two small oil-filled radiators as well (600 watts & 900 watts).

The fan heater is good for a quick warm up, but we find the background warmth from the oil radiators much more pleasant over an extended period in the relatively confined space of the MH.

Obviously, need to be careful about how much power is being drawn - normally wouldn't use a combination of heating that totalled more than 1600 watts (ie either both oil rads together, or the fan on 1kw and the small 600-watt rad).

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  6. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

I agree with Jez and Mike.....oil filled rad is far safer during the night than a fan heater.

and of course, completely silent.

• Like Like x 1
  7. durhamahoy

durhamahoy Funster

Hi,
    We use an oil filled radiator, quiet & warm

Steve

8. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

All these electric heaters being used in winter.....................no wonder site fee's keep rising

my three 120w tubular heaters make for a reasonable background heat, the two 400w frost protectors keep the bedroom and lounge nice and warm. but if it's really cold we stick with the eberspacher and for when no hookup and as a backup to the eberspacher we have a small bio ethanol fire.

• Like Like x 2
  9. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I had the fan heater from the MH in the garage all summer. I put it in the van before going to Jim's to air the place but luckily did not leave immediately.

Hisssss, crackle. I Looked inside and part of the heater was sparking white hot.

It may have just stopped or it may have set fire. Had it set fire the van would not have been insured - I checked a while ago.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

Winter heat

When the weather gets REALLY cold, we'd have the external and internal screens on early, then use a small rotating three element ceramic heater until we go to bed, then switch the lot off. Not keen on leaving anything on overnight. And we've camped all year round in all conditions and it works for us.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  12. grasscutter

grasscutter Funster Life Member

Oil filled radiator for us. If we are paying for a hook up then we take full advantage of it. No noise during the night.:thumb:

13. FULL TIMER

FULL TIMER Read Only Funster

interesting and more important for me is that I seem to have it right as regards the electric heating set up I have, it is all natural convection with a total wattage of 1220, easily heats and maintains the heating of the van to a very comfortable level and more importantly as it is spread throughout the van no cold spots

14. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

we use a Dyson bladeless fan, a bit of noise, but not much, put it on sink top so no issues with anything landing on it, very efficient.

Kin expensive to buy though!!

David

15. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We have just bought a Dimplex Eco Chico OFRB7 700w oil free baby column heater which has all the benefits of an oil filled radiator but no risk of oil leaking & lighter - speedy heat up too. Not cheap at £42-£55 online but hopefully worth the outlay as it has 3 year warranty.

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I've never needed a device for heating up the fan... oops wrong forum:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  17. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Taking advice (in another post on this site) I purchased this oil filled radiator from E bay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141091732...l?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=141091732020&_rdc=1
    Looks good, fairly small and light, no danger of fire, reasonable price, free delivery.
    A friend lived in a 40 foot caravan for over a year while he built a house, after moving in he tried to sell the caravan but had no luck so decided to burn it as space was at a premium. Taking a handful of newspaper, he put it just inside the doorway, set light to it and closed the door, 15 minutes later there was very little left of it, he was horrified, living in it for a year using 2 bar electric heaters together with two children and a dog the potential for disaster was ever present.
    Made of plastic, hardboard, upholstery and wood we then fill it up with other burnables like bedding and clothing, add to it a drop of petrol for the genny, the tank on said genny, 1 or two gas bottles and a tank full of diesel, a true recipe for tragedy:Eeek:. Although I have fitted a CO2 alarm I have not yet fitted a smoke alarm, something that will be put right today before our first venture out tomorrow for the weekend.
    Cal

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rapide561

Rapide561 Read Only Funster

Heat

We have a DeLonghi cool heat - very quiet, two heat settings and as the name suggests, it can also blow unheated air if required.

Russell

19. Freestyle

Freestyle Read Only Funster

Heaters

Thanks . You have all given me food for thought, will look into all your advice. Like the sound of the oil filled radiators. No noise there! But being a small van space is at a premium. Thanks again!:thumb:

20. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

using the EHU for heating is abusing the system. We have gas fires for cold weather. No wonder the costs of EHU on sites is escalating.
    But then I don't use sites so who cares:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: