False fix on the flashing fuel light (1 Viewer)

Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
I am suffering from a zero reading fuel gauge and a flashing light on my Euro 5 Fiat Ducato based Dethleffs. Having read threads on here about Fiat being prepared to repair this fault, I rang up my not so local Fiat Professional dealer who had been recommended by my MH dealer.
They kindly contacted Fiat and got the all clear for some kind of fix on the instrument panel. So today I duly did the 120 mile round trip and waited while they fixed it. Half an hour later and 'All done, sir'. I jumped back in the seat and whaddya know? Still got the zero reading and flashing light. I went back into the garage and the mechanic says he thought he was fixing a faulty warning light.
He then tried disconnecting the battery and on re-connection, hey, light stops flashing and gauge shoots up...... For one second!!
At this point, the technician ran out of ideas and says he'll have to book it back in for diagnostic checking. Spoke to the main man who said that he could not say whether Fiat would stump up the costs until they found out how to fix it.
Anyone got any ideas as to what I should direct them to so that I don't face a huge diagnostic bill?

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Sometimes I understand it can be corrected by simply disconnecting some sort of plug from the dashboard then reconnecting.

But the more common problem is a faulty dashboard which has to be completely replaced, usually done under warranty. I'd be very surprised if the Fiat Professional didn't know about it but they most likely do and don't want to get involved in a warranty battle.

However it could also be a faulty sender unit from the fuel tank, the computer is reading it as low/no fuel and putting up the flashing warning light.

As for the diagnostics, it should only take a couple of minutes (well that's what my "local" Fiat Professional said when I had a problem) so why does it need rebooking?

OP
OP
Cidered
Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Problem is 2013 van so out of warranty. Mechanic did the dashboard disconnection and because he got short time reading said it wasn't the sender.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
if fiat wont play cartronix will fix the instrument cluster for £150 with a lifetime (of ownership) guarantee

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
This is NOT the common warning light fault! It could be a faulty fuel sender unit, it could be a BSI unit fault or it could be a fault in the instrument panel, only a thorough diagnostic investigation will establish where the fault lies.

D.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
This is NOT the common warning light fault! It could be a faulty fuel sender unit, it could be a BSI unit fault or it could be a fault in the instrument panel, only a thorough diagnostic investigation will establish where the fault lies.

D.
surely you know there is a less common known fault with the instrument panel with the fuel guage?

the op also said the sender unit was tested as ok

cartronix refurbishes the binnacle and replaces the leds and guages

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
surely you know there is a less common known fault with the instrument panel with the fuel guage?

Yes, they put a new "motor" in the fuel gauge on mine....

OP
OP
Cidered
Sep 21, 2016
Stortford
Funster No
MH
La strada Avanti
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the replies so far. I suppose that a Cartronix fix will only work if it is definitely related to the binnacle/instrument panel. Thus diagnosis needed first or do Cartronix provide that service?
Does anyone know if Fiat acknowledge the less commonly known fault and resolve outside warranty?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks for the replies so far. I suppose that a Cartronix fix will only work if it is definitely related to the binnacle/instrument panel. Thus diagnosis needed first or do Cartronix provide that service?
Does anyone know if Fiat acknowledge the less commonly known fault and resolve outside warranty?
fiat are notorious for trying to deny that the known faults exist. if they did, they would be under pressure to do technical recalls. as it is, they insist on a fiat professional garage investigating and sending them a report. at this stage they try to claim the fault is out of warranty. if they do allow the work to be done, a new binnacle will be fitted, but these are still subject to failing the same way. they will not pay for a proper repair

the failure is caused by the use of cheap components used by fiat's binnacle maker. cartronix replaces the cheap and flaky LEDs and other components with high quality alternatives so can guarantee the fix

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs

Disconnecting the panel and getting a subsequent 1 second reading does not prove anything. On the modern Ducato the fuel sender unit feeds to the BSI ( BODY SYSTEMS INTERFACE) this then drives the instrument panel gauge so it could be the sender, it could be the BSI or it could be the instrument panel. Only a thorough diagnostic interrogation will prove which it is, unless they try the "parts cannon" approach.

D.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sometimes I understand it can be corrected by simply disconnecting some sort of plug from the dashboard then reconnecting.

But the more common problem is a faulty dashboard which has to be completely replaced, usually done under warranty. I'd be very surprised if the Fiat Professional didn't know about it but they most likely do and don't want to get involved in a warranty battle.

However it could also be a faulty sender unit from the fuel tank, the computer is reading it as low/no fuel and putting up the flashing warning light.

As for the diagnostics, it should only take a couple of minutes (well that's what my "local" Fiat Professional said when I had a problem) so why does it need rebooking?

Disconnecting the panel and getting a subsequent 1 second reading does not prove anything. On the modern Ducato the fuel sender unit feeds to the BSI ( BODY SYSTEMS INTERFACE) this then drives the instrument panel gauge so it could be the sender, it could be the BSI or it could be the instrument panel. Only a thorough diagnostic interrogation will prove which it is, unless they try the "parts cannon" approach.

D.
Ok Dave you have two minuets starting from -------------------------:rofl:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Where did it all go wrong ?

Ground----float-----meter-----12V
It didn't. Modern vehicles are a hundred times better and more reliable than ever (generally speaking). When I statted in the motor industry in '77 the average lifespan of a light vehicle was 60,000_80,000 miles, most were rotten as a pear if they made it to ten years old.

D.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
If it were mine i would bite the bullet an pay cartronix, that way you know it will be done, Fiat/Peugeot fix it you can guarantee you will be back an fourth like you dont know what - just think of all that hassle, miles an miles and your time waiting for them to bodge it again an again.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It didn't. Modern vehicles are a hundred times better and more reliable than ever (generally speaking). When I statted in the motor industry in '77 the average lifespan of a light vehicle was 60,000_80,000 miles, most were rotten as a pear if they made it to ten years old.
D.

I see your 1977 and raise you 1957. Yes I know only too well what rubbish was out there but it was rubbish people could understand and repair. I remember new rings at 20K or worse re-bore and crank grind. 1000 miles grease points. But still, all understandable problems.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I concur Brian its all gone horribly wrong I may try and understand when some one can give me a "Logical and honest" answer to
Removing a throttle cable circa £50-£10
And replacing it with fly by wire at circa a £1000 - £1500 AVERAGE
That and a host of other "Because we can waste of space Improvements"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back