Falkirk wheel

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by highwayman, Jan 21, 2011.

1. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi folks
    We're off to Scotland in april for a 'do' thought we'd stop-off and have a look at the Falkirk Wheel on the way back, can anyone reccomend a site close to it.

Cheers...nige

2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I'm sure we stayed on a CC site nearby once. But the main thing is see it. As a piece of lateral thinking engineering it is superb.

Then head north for *real* Scotland.

3. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Thanks Brian, we're starting at Frazerburgh then heading back slowly south till Peterborough the following weekend. :thumb:

cheers...nige

4. keith

keith Funster

Sites are very few and far between in this part of Scotland, everybody wants to go to the highlands.

Don't miss it it though, it really is an outstanding piece of engineering. My daughter lives within walking distance so we have been often and it still it amazes me.

A CC site not far away is:
    The Woods Caravan Park
    Diverswell Farm, Fishcross, Stirling, Stirling, FK10 3AN

Telephone: 01259 762802

It is an easy drive down from Stirling on the MW & it's well signed.

There is a reasonable size car park at the wheel so you should OK in your van.

5. sedge

sedge Funster

Hmmm - we ought to go there! So I have been having a look. I went onto the wheel website

http://www.falkirk-wheel.com/faq/15...ntire-canal-network-from-edinburgh-to-glasgow

and in the FAQ's it says there are 2 campsites near - exacept they aren't partic near - how strange! The first one they mention is small and on UK Campsite, last review was posted in 2009, did not sound all that impressive at that, but it is a campsite! The link given to the other one is broken but

http://www.beecraigs.com/campsite/camp_plan.htm

Much more expensive of course but looks really nice! The price only includes 2 adults and kids under 5, so if your kids are older than that it's + £3.05 a night. Know how to rake it in ..... TBH if you take the difference in price between this site and one of the two caravan club sites mentioned, you have almost paid your CC membership. And if you stayed at a CL instead at about a Tenner a night - well you are absolutely quids in.

In the caravan club directory there are also no less than 8 CL's listed around Stirling , plus there is another CC site further away at Blair Drummond - 01786 841208

The nearest CL is at Denny apparently 3.1m away from the wheel, farm, free wifi, £10 a night incl elec. I rest my case m'lud.

http://www.carrshill.co.uk/index.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  6. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

We stayed at the CC site at the west side of Edinburgh and rode over to Falkirk on the bike.
    There are some photos of the wheel on our album "Scotland 2007".

7. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Have used Beecraig late in season and found it a reasonable site, only used for one night as just passing through, and had almost to ourselves.

Dave .:thumb::thumb:

8. keith

keith Funster

The one at Denny looks OK and that is right on the door step. As said my daughter lives close by so I have never looked at sites close to her home, we always stop on her driveway. :Doh: