Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Can you stay at the wheel ??? I have been looking on the web and there seems to be a motorhome parking area in the car park??? Any Answers please. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I don't think you can stay overnight in the car parks.
There is plenty of parking, good visitor centre and you can book tickets online for a canal boat trip. It's well worth visiting.
I stayed nearby in the 2010/11 winter--coldest for 40/50/60 years depending on who I talked to. The canals were frozen solid for weeks.

I think there's a campsite at Linlithgow ( nice area)

Sep 5, 2010
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Always - off and on
You can stay at the Wheel - £10 a night - toilet and showers beside the canal - wheel lit up at night, the night security guard leaves the gate unlocked if any motorhomes are staying. Its just park in any car park if its not too busy - if busy they'll tell you which one. Stayed two nights in October and cycled to The Kelpies along the canal.

Edit to add all year round.

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I walked on that canal about 40 years ago , it was frozen solid , hehehe thinking of that canal I had a lot of fun around it when I was a lad , the cops came along when I was walking on the ice ,I did it for a dare as you do when your a mad teenager , they threatened to arrest me if I did not get off it :sneaky:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Overnighting at the wheel is £10 a night. I would give them a call to check first incase its seasonal or price rise etc.

You can stay at the Wheel - £10 a night - toilet and showers beside the canal - wheel lit up at night, the night security guard leaves the gate unlocked if any motorhomes are staying. Its just park in any car park if its not too busy - if busy they'll tell you which one. Stayed two nights in October and cycled to The Kelpies along the canal.

Edit to add all year round.

I must go back, didn't realise you could stay there! Thanks for info.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thanks for the info guys (y)(y)
We will add both to our list of places to visit.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
funnily i was talking to a woman born and raised in Stirling the other day, one of mum's new carers. she said its an awful place to live but tourists flock there for the wheel etc. strange how opinions differ about how attractive a place is when you live there

i was brought up in Bournemouth. great in the summer season, but everything closes and its grim in winter

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
You can't overnight at the Kelpies as far as I know although there is a big carpark there. Cycling along the towpath from the Wheel is a good way of getting to see them or it's a couple of junctions down the motorway. You would normally pass the Kelpies on your way to the wheel if coming from the south. You can see them from the motorway.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
she said its an awful place to live
I can't imagine why anyone would think Stirling or Falkirk were awful places to live. They are both pleasant places and with incredibly easy access to some of Scotland's beauty spots. Each to their own I guess.

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
When we went up to Scotland last September ,we overnighted in the bus layby at the wheel , no charge that I could see
It was on a sunday night and we got there about 8pm had a look around the wheel and on our way by 10am

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
You can stay at the Wheel - £10 a night - toilet and showers beside the canal - wheel lit up at night,
Also 3 water taps with easy access in the top car park, easy when all the cars have gone.

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
We were there last Sunday with car and specifically asked the guy if motorhomes could park overnight £10 and was told they were about to start charging for the car park during the daytime but could see no problem.
He did say that anyone stopping would have to be off before it opened to the public at 9.00 or pay the new charge.
Btw lovely during the day, stunning when lit up at night,

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I just came homeless than an hour ago. We parked up last night and asked if there was any specific time we had to be off by today. Was told no anytime.
I have to say it was well worth the £10 considering there is free toilets/ showers and water...and you get 10% discount on the boat ride.
It's only 25min from home but took 13 yrs to let mum see it. It's a true saying..
You just don't know what you have on your doorstep!

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
I just came homeless than an hour ago. We parked up last night and asked if there was any specific time we had to be off by today. Was told no anytime.
I have to say it was well worth the £10 considering there is free toilets/ showers and water...and you get 10% discount on the boat ride.
It's only 25min from home but took 13 yrs to let mum see it. It's a true saying..
You just don't know what you have on your doorstep!
We hope to stop at the wheel on our trip next month, whats the best way to get to the Kelpies from the wheel, no bikes.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Either drive or get the bus or taxi probably as cheap...its only 4 miles away.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We hope to stop at the wheel on our trip next month, whats the best way to get to the Kelpies from the wheel, no bikes.
Either drive or get the bus, only 4 miles apart. Enjoy;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back