FAKE !!!! Fact or just new technology (1 Viewer)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You experts out there tell me
These real cheapo e-bay MPPT controlers such as the video is demonstrating
do they really need big coils inside to be a MPPT controller????
The price says its a fake at about £20 what say you

Geo

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
The script doesn't tell me anything. You don't measure IP and OP in current alone. I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about, although he's clearly upset. If it's cheap, it may be poor quality. The video does not succeed in demonstrating that.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The script doesn't tell me anything. You don't measure IP and OP in current alone. I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about, although he's clearly upset. If it's cheap, it may be poor quality. The video does not succeed in demonstrating that.
I disagree. He has proven that it is a fake.

A PWM charge controller simply switches the output on an off so the average voltage is what is required. The current will be the same.

An MPPT charger will lower the voltage and increase the current to the maximum power point. At worst you should get the same current out as going in.

I bought a 'fake' MPPT charge controller and they really are crap. Once I have new fridge and have rebuilt my kitchen area I will be upgrading to a quality branded one.

When I do this I will pull the old 'fake' one to pieces...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'm not sure how it's been proved because there is insufficient information. What if the battery is fully charged, for example?
Under 'normal' conditions I'd agree that more current should be available at the output (probably about 8A) and not less.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Obviously he hasn't stated any parameters to get a meaningful comparison you need to know then input & output voltages and the state of charge of the battery. The panel will be producing something like 16-20volts and the output of the controller should be around 14.5 v so if it is working efficiently the output current should be quite a bit higher than the input. As @Gromett says it is fake, if he had done the test properly you would have seen a much more convincing result.
Even the Chinese can't make something for nothing even with their cheap production costs you still get what you pay for.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Obviously he hasn't stated any parameters to get a meaningful comparison you need to know then input & output voltages and the state of charge of the battery.
He has a PWM directly above it, and from what he said he tested the two side by side. His current measurements he did on screen were just a brief demonstration.

Better example??

Yup, it was Julians video that made me check mine out. His channel is well worth following if you are into techy stuff. I checked mine out and it has a coil of wire soldered to the board which won't have much inductance at all. The coil has no core and is only a few turns of wire.

I do like his Muppet (MPPT) project and will be doing my own version at some point in the future.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
There's little doubt they are not what the purchasers expected them to be, but I wonder if they work as well as any other controller at that price?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
There's little doubt they are not what the purchasers expected them to be, but I wonder if they work as well as any other controller at that price?
I can't see it being any better than a sub £10 jobby. PWM controllers are well understood and very basic technology.
I would hazard a guess that either of these would be just as good.

OR

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Why do I ask
whilst researching the asking price for some panels cables batteries etc from a brand new failed project caused me to search all the relevant pieces to gauge a bargain or not
I came across these controllers and the U tube vids at the same time
I saw these controllers for sale under many different logo's from £29 to----- wait for it £129.:Eeek:
now that would be a serious con if you believed it to be what it says on the tin
needles to say it was used as a bargaining chip and reason to test and verify everything else he had going

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Could the £129 one be genuine, perhaps, and the others are trying to immitate it?
Second video was much better, BTW. Shame that rain stopped play, though.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Buy a victron

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I looked at these a couple of years ago, the model number was MPPT30. And, that was the clue. It's model name was MPPT30. They were careful (at that time) not to state it operated as an MPPT controller.

Marketing. :mad:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't understand much of this thread, but I have two sps on the roof and one of these controllers and have more leccy in the battery's than I know what to do with, never on hookup .

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I looked at these a couple of years ago, the model number was MPPT30. And, that was the clue. It's model name was MPPT30. They were careful (at that time) not to state it operated as an MPPT controller.

Marketing. :mad:
That's an interesting way to spell "Deception".

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
This is my controller. at least these guys made some attempt to fake the MPPT...

I wish I still had my 45Amp Morningstar. That was a beast and excellent.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I don't trust anything including victron that is sealed or potted.
Yes Mppt regulators must have toroidal transformers
MPPT-XL.jpg

These are proven over 5 yrs by very many forum members

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You sold it to me, and I agree its excellent. :)
I don't remember selling it to be honest, But have a vague recollection of 2 solar panels going. was that you also?

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
It was Grom, still on the roof, now joined by another 120watt. You were living at home, came of a big euro you owned, offered me two or three big batteries as well but I didn't need them. Must have been around 2006?

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
It was Grom, still on the roof, now joined by another 120watt. You were living at home, came of a big euro you owned, offered me two or three big batteries as well but I didn't need them. Must have been around 2006?

If it was the Eura then it would have been 2008. I started to empty that out in 2008 ready to go fulltiming in a different vehicle..

I do remember you now but from the Dark Side :p

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back