Fair Fuel UK Campaign

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Feb 16, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Received this by email ..

Attached Files:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As usual with campaigns such as these, I'd be more inclined to support them if they gave any indication of an alternative.

It's all very well for people like the bloke who has started this to say that a tax they don't like should be reduced/removed.

What they almost always fail to do, however, as in this case, is to come up with any alternative for making up the resultant shortfall - either by increasing taxation in other areas or reducing spending.

Without costed alternatives the case is totally devalued.

3. scotjimland

The Egyptians had no alternative before taking to the streets ... the just hated what they had.. or closer to home, the Poll Tax riots..

Surely we can campaign against a hike in fuel tax we feel is unjust without providing all the answers.. after all, that's what we pay them to do for us.

Alternatively, we can roll over and take it on the chin. Where is the Dunkirk spirit. ?

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

I see it as the begining of the end for motorhoming, a few trips a year carries the full tax burdon of keeping a second vehicle on the road, maybe time to get shot of the dogs and wife and downsize to a roamahome or something as an only vehicle.:Sad::Sad:

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Graham,what alternatives do you need ?
    IF WE DO NOT SIGN UP FOR THINGS LIKE THIS THEN THE GOVERNMENT WILL JUST KEEP ON RISING FUEL DUTIES.
    At least this is giving the motorist a voice to say enough :Wink:
    A few alternatives could be to stop giving foreign aid and pay off our debts with that money
    Stop giving assistance for stupid non working wind farms and solar farms that are costing us millions for little or no return
    Same for electric cars / hybrid that do about 50 / 60 mpg when a normal diesel car gets 70 mpg
    I could carry on but I am busy signing the petition :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    terry

6. scotjimland

You are not alone Roger, and I think so for many who are still in denial ..
    We can't afford to keep two vehicles, a small touring caravan makes more economic sense for us..

7. buttons

buttons Funster

Problem is with the previous government who delayed the price rises hoping to stay in power. Now reality has hit home and as planed by their previous the new government is getting the blame. :Doh: Do you think it would have been different if power had not changed?

8. scotjimland

I don't think I blamed anyone Buttons .. and I'm not entering a political debate, this is not the correct forum..

The OP is asking members to support a fuel price hike protest .. be they right, center or left.

9. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

I signed something similar to this about four or five years ago.

And what happened?

I'll tell you what happened........................................F*#K ALL

10. Terry

Terry Funster

OSTRICH :BigGrin::Rofl1::Rofl1: It may well get the same response but at least we the signers tried :Rofl1:
    terry

11. sammy_n_brett

sammy_n_brett Read Only Funster

whats fair in life

hi guys we are new here but i felt i had to add my input..........
    few years back a similar thing was done prices were held for a while and then we saw the increase carry on as normal.
    here is a real idea if every1 only filled up with 1 of the oil giants fuel the others would be forced to drop there prices to get our business this would also mean the tax dropping aswell
    yes we pay a lot of tax and i loathe filling up, but the oil companys dictate the oil price by lowering production etc.
    Cooking oil is much cheaper now and a deisel is designed to run on anything fine if you like the smelll of chips lol
    We do have a crap govenment but they are all the same we will end up like in egypt, the students a few months back are just the start
    as for keeping the motor home as a second motor i find the insurance cheap and fuel is the only issue £110 to fill up compared to my car at £70 and the MPG
    hey it happening all over europe fuel in france is 1.30 euro
    good luck with the petition but it wont do no good:thumb:

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

I don't see that they have achieved anything. Bit of pride. Now they are under totalitarian dictatorship with no parliament. They see it as progress, oh well.

Just like "our" fuel rebellion years ago, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.

I'm afraid the country is broke, fuel is fuelling the economy, they can't back down.

What we can do is minimise our use of fuel. Somehow.

13. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Hi Terry there is also a pastime known as trying to knit Fog

Have you tried that yet :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Doh:
    Geo
    ever the optomist:RollEyes:

14. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

OK, the Poll Tax riots resulted in that tax being replaced - is the amount paid by most households in local tax any lower as a result? It may be for a few but certainly not for the vast majority.

The people that were voted in have done what they are paid to do - they have come up with what they believe is the best way forward. If people feel that is unjust they have to show why it is unjust and what can be put in its place which is just. All this campaign is saying is that it's not fair - as we all know life isn't fair.

Costed ones, Terry, like I said :Smile:

It's hardly surprising given the extent of vehicle ownership these days because it means that the majority of the population pay the tax.

Fair enough but how do the figures work out? How much would such spending reductions allow fuel duty to be reduced? What adverse effects on trade would have to be taken into account of foreign aid were to be reduced?
    I'm not expecting you to answer, Terry, but without such answers coming from organisers of this sort of campaign then the argument is incomplete.

15. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Do you remember petrolprices.com Brendon Mc Maclochan? name

It was going to be a lobby on fuel prices but now in a bl**dy marketing machine with loads of our email addresses:Doh:

He's a bl**dy nuisance

16. Terry

Terry Funster

Graham I have no idea how to start and imagine the sums involved :thumb:All I do know is they have to make a start at reducing our debts (which they have :Rofl1:)

Make me in charge and give me a few weeks to figure it all out :thumb:
    Pay me a bonus of 10 million if I solve the problem or create a bigger one :Doh: then I shall go away and not give a dam about anything other than enjoying my new found freedom from the rat race, and have the money to enjoy my retirement,:thumb::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    terry

17. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

The country is run by millionaires,for millionaires so they can keep making there millions.
    You show me a rich politician that would advocate a 1% rise in income tax or even a wealth tax,you bet your life there is'nt,

The mindset of today's Goverment is tax the lowest paid hardest first,then the middle income people next,and if you really really must the high earners last,and by the way don't hit the BANKS to hard.:Angry::Angry:

As for Egypt and its people, here's hoping your sacrifices will reap there rewards,they have earnt it.

The British Goverment on the other hand would never dream that the British people would rise up in protest at some of the levy's being demanded of its people,they have been doing it for so long,and we equally have accepted it for so long...........:Sad:

18. Road Runner

The trouble is fuel prices as a tax is not fair as it affects the poor far harder than the wealthy.

19. scotjimland

I posted to inform, vote or don't.. end of story..

No one is pulling your finger nails out to make you vote .. don't know why I bother ..:RollEyes:

20. Road Runner

Because I like to see what going on in the world and member's like your goodself flag things up for us.

From me thank Jim:Wink::thumb: