Failure to renew licence photo could result in £1k fine

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by ShiftZZ, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Drivers who fail to update the photograph on their drivers licence could be hit with a maximum fine of £1,000 as photos on the new style licences must be renewed every 10 years by law, however a study by a car insurance provider has found there is widespread uncertainty amongst drivers with regard to this condition.

Sainsbury’s Car Insurance discovered the high penalty for not having an updated photograph on a UK driving licence following a request made through the Freedom of Information Act. It’s reported that 1.6 million drivers could be at risk of receiving the fine at this time, while by the end of 2012, a further 2.9 million licences will be in need of renewal in order to fully abide by the licensing laws.

The DVLA charge £20 to have the photograph updated on each drivers licence however Sainsbury’s Car Insurance found that as many as 41% of UK drivers are now aware of the repercussions of not having an updated image on their licence after 10 years which means that millions of drivers could be putting themselves at risk of receiving the hefty fine.

Those with the old style paper drivers licences will be unaffected by the law, only those with the photograph licences which came into being in 1998 will need to ensure their photographs are updated every 10 years in order to avoid the £1,000 which can be enforced by the police under Section 99 of the Road Traffic act 1988.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...0?CID=Motoring&PLA=url_mon&CRE=renew_my_photo

2. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Its worse, technically the licence is expired Try telling a French copper "It's OK, I know it says expired but I still have an entitlement to drive it's only the photo out of date" How long before an insurer says "You didn't have a licence to drive"

4b = Licence Valid to..

Make sure you renew:thumb:

3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

here we have a real problem that folk of all ages cant read or cant be bothered to read the information on their licences .
    just like all the lame excusses about small print . they are just too lazy.
    this is typical of our nation, too lazy .blame someone else.
    lets hope 2012 brings a rude awakening to the majority in the uk.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Strangely enough, my licence says from 2007 to 2017......

........but I renewed it in 2002 so should be this year...... eh?

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Maybe they think that from looking at your photo you cant get any older:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  6. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Had to do mine last year

I had to do mine last year. DVLA sent me a reminder. took a few weeks as mine had to go to the disability section (even for a photo update)...

But as Jim has said an out of date photo means no driving licence... no driving licence means the insurance is not valid as it is a term and condition of any insurance that the driver must have a licence in force to drive.

As said try explaining that to the French plod or Spanish ...

Bob:cry:

7. Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers Read Only Funster

Ha ha, just checked a collegue and his is the same, 2007 to 2017 and he didn't renew in 2007?

8. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

I think the whole set-up on driving license photographs is crazy.

I my own case, I had to renew my photo as it was 10years old, but I was able to renew it with them (DVLA) using a copy of my 5 year old passport, so eventually the driving license photo is going to be 15 years old.

Its just another form of tax, or if you prefer a RIP-OFF.

Doug...

• Like Like x 5
  9. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Mines from 07 but must renew this Dec Maybe all the lead-in dates were different.

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

start dates etc can be different if you have hgv etc and renew your licenc after 5 yrs . or if there is a delay issuing a new one . it can start from their receipt of the photo.
    it also can be that dvla are doing their incompetant unfit for purpose mode. hee hee.

11. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

They are welcome to fine me, I havent renewed my photo and am not driving

Presumably they will just send out blanket fine letters like they do with everything else

That will be an interesting one for the courts.

If I am not driving I dont think I need to validate my licence with a new photo.

12. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I have already renewed mine start of last year, but i was really displeased that it cost £20, when they brought it in originally they said it would be a nominal fee around £10 to renew the photo element.....so what happened there then .....not happy at twice the quoted price when the time came to do it. Whats it going to cost next time... this tax that tax plus inflation probably at least £40

• Like Like x 1
  13. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Old Mo just scrapes the moss off his stone one, the pic has remained the same...

MUNCHIE is on the right, with his 'elevation'..

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

i renewed it on line a few months back. I had only just renewed my passport and they allow you to just use that picture . This only applies( I think) if you have renewed your passport in the last 12 months otherwise you have to supply a new photo.

It was still a real pain because the DVLA site kept crashing.

Its also a pain because you need your passport, two parts of your driving licence and national insurance number.

I recall that the final question (out of about 20) was the tiny code on the rear of your driving licence photo card. It about 12 digits and absolutely tiny.

I couldnt find my glasses and thought I was going to get timed out.

Luckily I grabbed my i phone, took a piccy of the card and then blew the picture up to reveal the code:thumb:

Be warned though it is painful.

15. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As above...... Though I didn't have any issues with crashing (our interweb is so slow it never gets that far) - apart from the tiny number, you also have to note the address for return of the old licence as it only appears once. Really useful doing it all on line, though. I had only just renewed my passport as it was full so they used that digi photo

16. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

I was always taught that it is the responsibility of the person who is trying to
    communicate a message to get their message across.
    The instigator being responsible to make sure the message gets through not the receiver.

Rather than blaming the public who are bombarded with information all day every day.. from all directions.I would blame those that say...this is so important..we do our best to hide it in a place where a huge proportion of the population have no idea it even exists....and then we reserve the right to fine you huge ammounts of money !

I blame those responsible for hiding away key information rather than promoting it and failing to remind people that their licences require a new photograph...if that is so important.

Another example of public servants not understanding their proper role in society.

barry

17. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

I updated my license when I re-married in 2004.

4a 19 - 01 - 07 4b 18 - 01 - 17.

I am confused (chemo-brain kicking in)

June

• Like Like x 1
  18. lesleyjean

lesleyjean Funster

I still have a paper license.

I didn't bother getting photo license, so my mine is valid until I reach the age of 70

And the way time is flying could very well be next week:Laughing:
    :thumb::thumb:

19. sedge

sedge Funster

Haha. I need to renew my licence every 3 years due to medical reasons. This is free though.

This time I also needed a new photo. But still free!

20. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi beach caster. new licences very often come with a booklet . you also can get a booklet to help you apply for a licence. its best to check its correct when it arrives . its quite easy to read all details on the licence . we cant be hand held all our lives ,we do have some personal responsibiliy .
    try to get booklets d100, inf5d, ins57p,ins101
    possibly inf2d if hgv /psv .
    how much information do you need. post offices ,dvla offices have heaps of them.
    for most a guide to filling in the form or even getting the form checked is a service offered.
    if you cant read the writting on your old photo licence then possibly not driving is an option.
    we can blame dvla sometimes but very often its the person that is at fault.
    its commonly made out its youngsters that cant read ,as a helper in a disabled motorists club i know the inability to read and tak in facts is a problem of all ages the older ones possibly the most . over 50,s specially, they dont seem to be able to manage simple forms .
    always read your licences ,make sure its correct . many have lost classes to drive and havent noticed it for years , the m,cycle one is a favourite.