Facetime in France Switzerland & Italy (1 Viewer)

Aug 3, 2015
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
3 years campervan, many as a tugger
Hi, I'm really sorry to be asking such basic questions but the more I read the forums the more confused I'm getting! (Must be old age)
My situation is this:
Despite having a learning disability and no speech our daughter is doing a brilliant job of living independently, and uses facetime on her ipad to keep in touch with us.
We are planning to go on a 6 week (ish) tour of France, Switzerland and Italy starting next May.
We have found in the past that site wifi is not always available/reliable enough, plus we would like to research possible aires etc on the move.

So, we are looking for a cheap and reliable way of using my ipad & iPhone to keep in touch with our daughter via facetime while abroad - what equipment would we need? (I'm thinking of changing mobile co. anyway)
From experience, I'm sure that you lovely funsters out there will be able to help!

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi for what its worth,we tend to use Wechat(app)and Skype(app) on our iPhone plus iPads wherever we travel in the World.
My wife and daughter can stay in contact with China regardless of where we are in the World,albiet you will need WiFi,FaceTime can be very unpredictable.
Whatsapp is another but have not used it myself so can't comment.
HTH'S.(y)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Three 'feel at home ' works in France, Switzerland and Italy. But you can't tether (share your connection with a iPad) like you can at home.
You could buy a Mifi and a data only SIM card (pay as you go) that would allow you to connect multiple devices, for about £30 for 12gb of data (which is a lot)
Enjoy your trip

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Whatsapp is a great way for families to communicate on holidays and to send pictures home to a diverse family by setting up a private family group. It works by using Wifi. We use it all the time!

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
FaceTime and Skype are wonderful apps but consume a lot of data.
I'd be inclined to take a 'three' contract (phone or sim only) with unlimited data allowance (when abroad I believe it's capped at 20gb/month)
You won't be able to tether to use the ipad but at least you'll be able to chat lots with the iPhone.

As @Robert Clark mentioned a 'three' mifi and data sim (12gb/£30) would compliment nicely if you wanted to use the ipad too.

I have both mifi (with the 12gb data sim) and an unlimited 'three' iPhone - never run out of data and nearly always have a strong signal (y)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
How often will you expect to be in touch with your daughter and how long do you normally spend on each call @atilla?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back