Facebook & Twitter?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bryan, Jun 30, 2012.

?

I use (tick all that apply)

1. Facebook

60 vote(s)
    63.2%
  2. Twitter

21 vote(s)
    22.1%
  3. Neither

35 vote(s)
    36.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

Does anybody use Twitter?

I don't but I do use facebook...I started about 18 months ago. I refused to use it until then as I had a lot of concerns about the privacy aspect and wanted to wait until I had time to research it properly.

I'm happy with facebook as I keep on top of the security aspect (I use very few apps on there as they usually insist on being able to pretend they are you and post things as if it was you posting)

But I've never used twitter and tbh I don't really 'get' how to use it.

I understand the premise - short messages that are seen by anyone that 'follows' you, and you see messages that are sent by anyone that you follow - but this whole @ and # (hashtag) system is lost on me.

I did read that a good way to think of twitter is like a pub chat...with people that are not in the same physical location. You say (tweet) something and everyone else sees it and can answer, and everyone sees that....and so on.

Of course as others follow others this group gets bigger.

I don't know what happens for instance if I tweet something and you are following me so you see it...you reply...does someone that is not following me but is following you see your message?

Anyway, I know lots of funsters use facebook but don't know about twitter...so I thought I'd put up a poll to see who uses what.

Please feel free to just vote in the poll but also to reply

2. buttons

buttons Funster

Like yourself Bryan I am interested but not enough to take the plunge, my kids use them of course but they tend to forget their brain when they are on Facebook. I use facebook for a couple of interests that I follow and to be nosey but not as a friend. As far as displaying myself to the world, not ready for that yet.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
  3. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

The occasional post on facebook but log in just to see what distant family and friends are up to.

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Occasionally Facebook but find it rather immature, so and so wants to be your friend, will you be friends with so and so :Doh:

5. tofo

tofo Funster

i signed up using a [STRIKE]non diplume[/STRIKE] differant name to my own

but those in the know have been told

also an email add that when the time comes

can be deleted easily
    :thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  6. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Pretentious piffle expounded by a load of forelorn friendless prats,

Please be my friend!

Can I be your friend? I'm taking a bath with a glass of wine! WHO! CARES!

Get a life!

Want to stay in touch with your loved ones? Your real friends?

Pick up the bloody phone!

• Like Like x 9
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

Facebook's great!

I get to see what my friends and family are up to without having to phone them up every half hour. I connect with local musicians, go to their gigs and they come to mine.

We share photos and get to know about up-coming events - a bit like MHF but on a personal level.

We now have a group for folks living in our town to air their views, share experiences and promote local tradespeople.

What's wrong with that?

In edit: Forgot to say that I don't 'get' Twitter either although I haven't really bothered to find out more about it.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2012
    • Like Like x 4
  8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Twitter I find complicated and not for me.

Face Book like it or not is the way most young people keep in contact. I know what is going in my nieces nephews and grandchildrens lives, though I don't post on thier walls I do send private messages a good way to keep in touch with the younger generation while we are on our travels.

Also excellent for keeping in touch with friends works well, I make sure I know who my friends are and only ever let friends see my wall not friends of friends then it can get out of hand, I thing the more at my age I can keep up with technology and use it the better for me.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Both a load of bollox IMO.

I signed up to Twatter when there was a problem on here but the thought of "following " some areshole is foreign to me:Doh:

10. lorger

lorger Funster

I use facebook originally because my daughter wanted one and i let her under the condition Lorraine and me where added as friends so we can see what she is doing, i didnt see myself using it much but have to say i find it very good. I know you can call friends on the phone and chat but thats not always possible due to being in different countries and time zones. Also great for sharing pics with family and friends.

It really is very similar to this forum when you think about it the only difference is you only talk to people you know on facebook where as on here its mainly strangers.

I think the pole with show that most members on here are of the older generation :Rofl1::Rofl1:

11. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

I must be a prat and a pertencious one at that then by all accounts :Smile:

Personally I love it. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 3
  12. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

Tried it, i belive it`s a big brother thing as google ect---everything we think,say and do may be written here for all time.
    Then, who and what will mull it over in times to come???
    I notice that goverment were very keen to have us all go high speed digital broad band---not much else---wonder why :Eeek:
    Because it`s all here listed --how else can one keep a reign on 65million + people??

13. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Use both, Facebook personally and Twitter professionally. We find Facebook really good for knowing what people are happy for you to know. By far the vast majority of "friends" are in fact relatives and it is nice to know what your extended family are up to. The point is, you choose who you want to be "friends" (really "contacts") and it is only the young or otherwise immature who feel they have the need to have hundreds of friends. I think we have around 20 "contacts".
    Steve

14. Detnor

Detnor Funster

My local council and police both 'tweet' information on what is happening, I have found it useful, so it is more just another way to receive 'brief' information.

With a bit of common sense, Facebook is ok, I like to keep in touch with friends far and wide.

If I can find a use for it, I'll use it

15. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I use both. However Twitter is extremely useful as a work tool. I could see it being utilised in the MH world. Especially for traffic/rally updates.

As an example, if you post a message: #mhf P/Boro show washed out. Bring a dingy Anyone from our forum, who has "#MHF" saved into their "Favourites" in their twitter account would be notified. Your just sending out a general M/Home related message to like minded people. You don't have to be connected any other way.

I work abroad, security isn't good. We use it constantly to get updated information, from other expats countrywide. It operating 24/7. Twitter is a greatly underrated tool.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Twitter no, Facebook yes just to wish each family member a Happy Birthday.
    No more licking stamps:thumb:

17. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I think part of the problem with facebook is that a lot of users are not looking into how to configure it - they just sign up and use.

In actual fact you do have a lot of control over who sees what...and you can very easily prevent people from being able to send you a 'friend' request.

Whilst in Spain I set up a facebook group for the campsite. Only people camping there were allowed to join (and therefore see any content) and one campsite regular who disliked facebook was more than happy when I set up a facebook account for her that no-one could see, no-one could send messages to, no-one could ask to be friends with...but she could use the campsite group.

If people actually took the time to configure their facebook account they would see that they actually have a lot of control.

Twitter I don't really get yet. I can't see that it is configurable. If you 'tweet' a message it seems that anyone can see it and can decide to follow you (I think you can block individuals) and see anything else you tweet. I think it is designed to be a general group 'conversation'.

I am a keen poker player, and at the moment one of the poker worlds main competitions is taking place. The organisers (and a lot of the top players) often 'tweet' (post a message) how they are doing and what is going on. By 'following' the organisers twitter account, and one or two top players, I can get live updates and keep up with the action as it happens, so to speak.

So from that aspect it seems to work okay...my new tomtom can even be configured to tweet my journey progress so interested parties can keep up to date with changes in eta etc. (May be useful for couriers, or for some to save the constant phone calls - 'where are you now?)

Again, using twitter to disseminate simple information and keep abreast of events seems okay.

But using it like the kids seems to as a constant stream of trivial drivel is not my bag...so I will probably stay a reader rather than a publisher :Laughing:

Bryan

18. journeyman

journeyman Read Only Funster

I've just done a quick Twitter search on "#motorhomefun" Nothing appears. This means that members of this forum could post general messages for other funsters(other than your friends, only funsters are likely to read them).

You guys and girls with MHs are travelling all over the country and beyond. Seems like an obvious way of communicating useful info as it happens. Eventually it will catch on.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ven

Ven Funster

I use it and love it, but like others it doesn't have my full name and I only tell some people who i am on there so not to offend :Wink:

It can be used by me to rant a bit and on facebook there are too many people who could be offended that I would not want to offend. I do not rant about specific people I should point out :BigGrin:

One aspect of twitter I like is to follow like minded people or people in industries I am interested in and it regularly makes me laugh however I go in fits and starts as far as posting is concerned as I rarely have anything interesting to say :Rofl1:

20. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Some of the comments on here are bringing me round to Twitter.

Why the # before words?

For example - picked up Motorhome #wellexcited

Don't get that bit