• Neither

Votes: 35 36.8%

• Total voters

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Does anybody use Twitter?

I don't but I do use facebook...I started about 18 months ago. I refused to use it until then as I had a lot of concerns about the privacy aspect and wanted to wait until I had time to research it properly.

I'm happy with facebook as I keep on top of the security aspect (I use very few apps on there as they usually insist on being able to pretend they are you and post things as if it was you posting)

But I've never used twitter and tbh I don't really 'get' how to use it.

I understand the premise - short messages that are seen by anyone that 'follows' you, and you see messages that are sent by anyone that you follow - but this whole @ and # (hashtag) system is lost on me.

I did read that a good way to think of twitter is like a pub chat...with people that are not in the same physical location. You say (tweet) something and everyone else sees it and can answer, and everyone sees that....and so on.

Of course as others follow others this group gets bigger.

I don't know what happens for instance if I tweet something and you are following me so you see it...you reply...does someone that is not following me but is following you see your message?

Anyway, I know lots of funsters use facebook but don't know about twitter...so I thought I'd put up a poll to see who uses what.

Please feel free to just vote in the poll but also to reply

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

I don't but I do use facebook...I started about 18 months ago. I refused to use it until then as I had a lot of concerns about the privacy aspect and wanted to wait until I had time to research it properly.

I'm happy with facebook as I keep on top of the security aspect (I use very few apps on there as they usually insist on being able to pretend they are you and post things as if it was you posting)

I understand the premise - short messages that are seen by anyone that 'follows' you, and you see messages that are sent by anyone that you follow - but this whole @ and # (hashtag) system is lost on me.

I did read that a good way to think of twitter is like a pub chat...with people that are not in the same physical location. You say (tweet) something and everyone else sees it and can answer, and everyone sees that....and so on.

I don't know what happens for instance if I tweet something and you are following me so you see it...you reply...does someone that is not following me but is following you see your message?

Anyway, I know lots of funsters use facebook but don't know about twitter...so I thought I'd put up a poll to see who uses what.

Like yourself Bryan I am interested but not enough to take the plunge, my kids use them of course but they tend to forget their brain when they are on Facebook. I use facebook for a couple of interests that I follow and to be nosey but not as a friend. As far as displaying myself to the world, not ready for that yet.

Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The occasional post on facebook but log in just to see what distant family and friends are up to.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Occasionally Facebook but find it rather immature, so and so wants to be your friend, will you be friends with so and so :Doh:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

i signed up using a [STRIKE]non diplume[/STRIKE] differant name to my own

but those in the know have been told

also an email add that when the time comes

can be deleted easily
:thumb::thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Pretentious piffle expounded by a load of forelorn friendless prats,

Please be my friend!

Can I be your friend? I'm taking a bath with a glass of wine! WHO! CARES!

Get a life!

Want to stay in touch with your loved ones? Your real friends?

Pick up the bloody phone!

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Facebook's great!

I get to see what my friends and family are up to without having to phone them up every half hour. I connect with local musicians, go to their gigs and they come to mine.

We share photos and get to know about up-coming events - a bit like MHF but on a personal level.

We now have a group for folks living in our town to air their views, share experiences and promote local tradespeople.

What's wrong with that?

In edit: Forgot to say that I don't 'get' Twitter either although I haven't really bothered to find out more about it.

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Twitter I find complicated and not for me.

Face Book like it or not is the way most young people keep in contact. I know what is going in my nieces nephews and grandchildrens lives, though I don't post on thier walls I do send private messages a good way to keep in touch with the younger generation while we are on our travels.

Also excellent for keeping in touch with friends works well, I make sure I know who my friends are and only ever let friends see my wall not friends of friends then it can get out of hand, I thing the more at my age I can keep up with technology and use it the better for me.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Both a load of bollox IMO.

I signed up to Twatter when there was a problem on here but the thought of "following " some areshole is foreign to me:Doh:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I use facebook originally because my daughter wanted one and i let her under the condition Lorraine and me where added as friends so we can see what she is doing, i didnt see myself using it much but have to say i find it very good. I know you can call friends on the phone and chat but thats not always possible due to being in different countries and time zones. Also great for sharing pics with family and friends.

It really is very similar to this forum when you think about it the only difference is you only talk to people you know on facebook where as on here its mainly strangers.

I think the pole with show that most members on here are of the older generation :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
I must be a prat and a pertencious one at that then by all accounts :Smile:

Personally I love it. :RollEyes:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Tried it, i belive it`s a big brother thing as google ect---everything we think,say and do may be written here for all time.
Then, who and what will mull it over in times to come???
I notice that goverment were very keen to have us all go high speed digital broad band---not much else---wonder why :Eeek:
Because it`s all here listed --how else can one keep a reign on 65million + people??

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Use both, Facebook personally and Twitter professionally. We find Facebook really good for knowing what people are happy for you to know. By far the vast majority of "friends" are in fact relatives and it is nice to know what your extended family are up to. The point is, you choose who you want to be "friends" (really "contacts") and it is only the young or otherwise immature who feel they have the need to have hundreds of friends. I think we have around 20 "contacts".
Steve

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
My local council and police both 'tweet' information on what is happening, I have found it useful, so it is more just another way to receive 'brief' information.

With a bit of common sense, Facebook is ok, I like to keep in touch with friends far and wide.

If I can find a use for it, I'll use it

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I use both. However Twitter is extremely useful as a work tool. I could see it being utilised in the MH world. Especially for traffic/rally updates.

As an example, if you post a message: #mhf P/Boro show washed out. Bring a dingy Anyone from our forum, who has "#MHF" saved into their "Favourites" in their twitter account would be notified. Your just sending out a general M/Home related message to like minded people. You don't have to be connected any other way.

I work abroad, security isn't good. We use it constantly to get updated information, from other expats countrywide. It operating 24/7. Twitter is a greatly underrated tool.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
Twitter no, Facebook yes just to wish each family member a Happy Birthday.
No more licking stamps:thumb:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I think part of the problem with facebook is that a lot of users are not looking into how to configure it - they just sign up and use.

In actual fact you do have a lot of control over who sees what...and you can very easily prevent people from being able to send you a 'friend' request.

Whilst in Spain I set up a facebook group for the campsite. Only people camping there were allowed to join (and therefore see any content) and one campsite regular who disliked facebook was more than happy when I set up a facebook account for her that no-one could see, no-one could send messages to, no-one could ask to be friends with...but she could use the campsite group.

If people actually took the time to configure their facebook account they would see that they actually have a lot of control.

Twitter I don't really get yet. I can't see that it is configurable. If you 'tweet' a message it seems that anyone can see it and can decide to follow you (I think you can block individuals) and see anything else you tweet. I think it is designed to be a general group 'conversation'.

I am a keen poker player, and at the moment one of the poker worlds main competitions is taking place. The organisers (and a lot of the top players) often 'tweet' (post a message) how they are doing and what is going on. By 'following' the organisers twitter account, and one or two top players, I can get live updates and keep up with the action as it happens, so to speak.

So from that aspect it seems to work okay...my new tomtom can even be configured to tweet my journey progress so interested parties can keep up to date with changes in eta etc. (May be useful for couriers, or for some to save the constant phone calls - 'where are you now?)

Again, using twitter to disseminate simple information and keep abreast of events seems okay.

But using it like the kids seems to as a constant stream of trivial drivel is not my bag...so I will probably stay a reader rather than a publisher :roflmto:

Bryan

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've just done a quick Twitter search on "#motorhomefun" Nothing appears. This means that members of this forum could post general messages for other funsters(other than your friends, only funsters are likely to read them).

You guys and girls with MHs are travelling all over the country and beyond. Seems like an obvious way of communicating useful info as it happens. Eventually it will catch on.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
I use it and love it, but like others it doesn't have my full name and I only tell some people who i am on there so not to offend :winky:

It can be used by me to rant a bit and on facebook there are too many people who could be offended that I would not want to offend. I do not rant about specific people I should point out ::bigsmile:

One aspect of twitter I like is to follow like minded people or people in industries I am interested in and it regularly makes me laugh however I go in fits and starts as far as posting is concerned as I rarely have anything interesting to say :ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Some of the comments on here are bringing me round to Twitter.

Why the # before words?

For example - picked up Motorhome #wellexcited

Don't get that bit

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Some of the comments on here are bringing me round to Twitter.

Why the # before words?

For example - picked up Motorhome #wellexcited

Don't get that bit

Im not the worlds expert Treacle. But basically, If I have "#wellexcited" saved in my twitter search box. I will get to see any messages, posted by anyone who includes the word "#wellexcited" The Hash symbol tags the word to be searched, in this case "wellexcited". Hence when the # symbol is included its called a "Hashtag"

Think of this site as the Mothership....the Twitter aspect is for when your little spaceship is on the move. small bits of MHF related info. Traffic/incidents/weather/problems that need sorting or help with/special offers/....anything that can be said in less than 140 characters. Coming in directly to your mobile phone or laptop, all related to this website because you are only searching on #motorhomefun

I have saved "#motorhomefun" into my search box in the forlorn hope that someday in the distant future it may actually ping up a message :Smile:

Last edited:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Im not the worlds expert Treacle. But basically, If I have "#wellexcited" saved in my twitter search box. I will get to see any messages, posted by anyone who includes the word "#wellexcited"

Think of this site as the Mothership....the Twitter aspect is for when your little spaceship is on the move. small bits of MHF related info. Traffic/incidents/weather/problems that need sorting or help with/special offers/....anything that can be said in less than 140 characters.

I have saved "#motorhomefun" into my search box in the forlorn hope that someday in the distant future it may actually ping up a message :Smile:

Additionally its possible for sites like this to set up links, so that posts on here, are highlighted onto your Twitter feed.

#really helpful:thumb:::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
neither for me.. MHF is bad enough

I can just about live with MHF.. but the other two..no way... I think sometimes we are sad on MHF.. but the other two...well I can live without... I do not need friends... I am billy no mates as my daughter says...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

While I have Buttons, Treacle, Terry and a few others on MHF to keep me interested I am fine... as in F.. in Freaked-out, I... as in insecure, N.. as in neurotic and E... as in emotional - why do I need to have all these "I want to be friends with you' Google is bad enough asking it.

Bob:Sad:

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:ROFLMAO:
SHOULD I REALLY JOIN FACEBOOK? (priceless!)

Sent by an over-70 year old...................!
When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.I signed up under duress for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, 13 grand kids and 2 great grand kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

That was before one of my grand kids hooked me up for Tweeter, Tweetree, Twhirl, Twitterfon, Tweetie and Twittererific Tweetdeck, Twitpix and something that sends every message to my cell phone and every other program within the texting world.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation. I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Blue tooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship. When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I can lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions and checking bathrooms and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings..

The world is just getting too complex for me. They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store. You would think they could settle on something themselves

, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" every time I check out just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them in with me.

Now I toss it back to them. When they ask me, "Paper or Plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look. I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, "No, but I do toot a lot."

P.S. I know some of you are not over 70. I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are.
We senior citizens don't need any more gadgets. The tv remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle.

AMEN

GetInline.aspx
:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
I've decided to give twitter another go...not that I'm actually tweeting (sending messages) myself...

I'm 'following' a few professional poker players at the World Series Of Poker which is currently taking place in Las Vegas and I'm also following the event organisers account.

So every few minutes/hours I'll get a few messages and I feel I can get an insight into things a little different to the official media streams.

The hashtags seem good...a way of grouping messages based on a the same hashtag from people talking about the same thing, but without following them.

As mentioned previously, everyone who posts mentioning the same hashtag sees every post that includes that hashtag...so if funsters post a message and include #mhfun (I prefer that because mhf has already been used and it's shorter than motorhomefun) then anyone who has saved this hashtag will see the message.

My only concern is that once posted, a message is out there, whereas with facebook you can change the audience for each message as you type....twitter isn't the same.

OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
hmm...verdict still out on twitter...tried a couple of tweets with hashtags and neither are appearing when I search for the hashtag (well, one did for a bit then disappeared)

I've raised a fault with twitter, lets see what they say...

Wizbangs

Free Member
Nov 8, 2011
MK, UK
Funster No
MH
AS Burford Duo
Exp
Four years
My issue with Facebook is that it is full of self promotion. I joined it to keep up with friends but they post mainly about business and such. Disappointing, so the novelty has run out big time. I am getting more interested in Twitter for the info I can gain from Trends or Searches. I do not Tweet myself however and do not seek any followers. It is just a source for gathering current info.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
I went on facebook a few years ago when a friend told me his Son had set him up an account.

I made sure from the beginning that I only 'friended' people that I really wanted to. I told my Daughter who is now 14 to do the same.

Because of this I have a nice combination of friends and family without most of the drivel that goes on.

The great thing about facebook is the groups. I am a member of a 'secret' motorhome group and we pass the time of day and keep up with their shenanigans as they travel around the country and world. Like MHF and any forum it can get a little tedious if you let it.

I am also a member of a number of 'secret' photography groups .

'Secret' in this case means you have to be invited to join. This means no one can find the group nor can anyone 'get in' and take information without you knowing about it.

I also organise a motorhome meet by setting it up on facebook. This is a simple task of inviting people you want to come and they say 'yes', 'no' or 'maybe'. In this instance it is a nice and easy way of keeping on top of one thing, in this case a meet, without being infested with all the other things that go on.

So yes I think facebook is a very useful tool if used properly.

I keep thinking about twitter, but it seems a pointless tool for me. I cannot see how I can get anything useful from it, but likewise it is not good to be left behind. But I still don't have an account or #twittername.

Best regards

Chris

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
I've decided to give twitter another go...not that I'm actually tweeting (sending messages) myself...

I'm 'following' a few professional poker players at the World Series Of Poker which is currently taking place in Las Vegas and I'm also following the event organisers account.

So every few minutes/hours I'll get a few messages and I feel I can get an insight into things a little different to the official media streams.

Ive been following Victoria Coren at the poker championships. I don't have a clue about the game, but she is very witty.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back