Ezetow have gone bust!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by rarin2go, Oct 15, 2012.

1. rarin2go

rarin2go Read Only Funster

EZETOW HAVE GONE BUST!

Having major ongoing problems with our Ezetow trailer I spoke to Dave Wilkins again today and he said that the company is now in liquidation.

We are currently marooned in France in Haute Normandie with our Ezetow having lost a wheel unit for the second time.

Picked up the Ezetow in May this year and towed it empty back up to Scotland where it has sat over the summer unused. Last week we loaded up the Ezetow and headed south. On Tuesday 9th October whilst on the way to Daventry to get the satellite system serviced, one of the wheels caught on the lightbar and jammed resulting in a groove being gouged into the tyre. Luckily we were flagged down by a passerby before the tyre punctured completely. As Ezetow were only 40 mins away we called in to get a new wheel and for them to adjust the suspension to stop it happening again. It was thought that we must have hit a speed bump or something like it.

We crossed through the tunnel that night and overnighted at Calais seafront before continuing our way south on the A28. We were just south of Abbeville when one wheel sheared off completely. As the trailer was unusable we had to be recovered from the motorway (€175 paid by insurance company). Phoned Ezetow and they sent out the parts to the garage who fitted them (€118 paid by us). The Ezetow was ready for collection on Saturday afternoon.

We headed south again, making for the aire at Mailleraye sur Seine when 50 miles down the road, luckily on the outskirts of a town, a wheel came off the trailer (broke at the weld this time), bounced across both carriageways and embedded itself in a field of corn. Thank goodness it didn’t hit any other vehicles.

Of course being a Saturday no one was available at Ezetow premises but I did manage to get hold of Cliff who works there via a mobile no. I had on an old printout of their website. Cliff told me he would get in touch with Dave and get back to me. Meanwhile we had pushed and pulled the trailer the 500 metres to the Gendarmerie Nationale in town and asked if we could leave it in their yard until Monday when we assumed it would be picked up. We left the bike there as well.

This morning we finally got a phone call from Dave who said he would need to have the trailer back at their premises to test it and to give him all the details of where it was so he could have it picked up. He said we should get hold of an ordinary motorbike trailer and continue on our trip (we’re off to Morocco)!

When we said that if he was having the trailer uplifted he could send out the demonstrator model which we could use in it’s place he said he’d have to look into it and call us back.

Just over an hour later he called back to say that Ezetow was going into liquidation, that all the equipment was being sold off and even his van had gone and he couldn’t help us! All in an hour!!!!!!!

To say I was stunned would be an understatement. My husband asked him if he could provide us with the spare parts before they closed down and he said he would send them out.

I suppose it’s something but I have a problem

• I have spent £1200 on the trailer
    • I have spent €118 on repairs so far
    • I have no way of moving the trailer from the police compound
    • Even if we move the trailer we have no workshop facilities
    • My sister lives 600km south of here (home for me is about 1500km north of here)
    • To hire a van to transport the bike and the trailer to my sister’s (her partner is mechanically minded, as is mine but he has lost all confidence in the Ezetow and believes there must be some underlying problem) would cost €250 plus petrol and involve 3x 600km driving, i.e. down with van full, up with van empty and down with motorhome
    • To hire a van one way would cost €550 + petrol
    • To buy a flat bed trailer to transport Ezetow and bike would cost €800 +petrol – could sell new trailer afterwards I suppose
    • No guarantee that repair to Ezetow would work as don’t know what underlying problem is
    • Could chuck Ezetow in skip and buy normal motorbike trailer

What should I do? I am seriously tearing my hair out here.
    Thanks

Elspeth:cry:

2. f6c

f6c Funster

What a saga you poor people:cry:

3. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

How did you pay for it?

Credit Card?

• Like Like x 1
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

personally i would cut my losses, find a scrap metal dealer (they must have them in France too) and at least get something back then look locally for a cheap bike trailer.

bringing it back here wont do any good as parts wont be available now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. rarin2go

No unfortunately cash. Paying by card was not an option. Hopefully I will have learnt by my mistake.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Really feel for you, hope something works out, :Sad: why do these things happen, taken friends to the airport in Manchester this after noon for a hard deserved break in Italy, they phoned a hour ago to say they had flown as far as Paris, and were now sitting on the tarmac at Gatwick, due to a medical emergency, no telling when Murphy will strike.

• Like Like x 2
  7. f6c

f6c Funster

Don't beat yourself up:Wink:

• Like Like x 1
  8. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hire/buy a trailer i,m sure you could get it fixed in morocco. certainly in bannana village just north of agadir . or innesgane . south of agadir . one thing they can do is fix things .

but there is a company in france that builds similar trailers . see loads of them during the winter . dont know where but lots have them in france. cant be too difficult to fix .

9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

HI thoughts are with you, but first i would find a garage or welding company in that area, and have the trailer welded up and made safe for your journey, keep note on ALL out of pocket exspences and start making enquires who the liquidation company or bank who will be looking after there affairs, make a report and on your return to the uk go and see them direct,hope this is some help to your situation,Alf,

• Like Like x 1
  10. alfandM

alfandM Funster

HI Again, another thought for you,make contact with your insurance company and see what they have to say, as iam aware whilst the trailer is being towed it comes under the mh insurance, good luck!, Alf.

11. thearchitect

thearchitect Read Only Funster

The first thing to do is stay calm. The important thing is that you are okay. The van and all its bits are just possessions which can be replaced, you can't.

I assume you are insured, contact them and make them earn their keep.

You say your sister is kinda close? Give her a ring, she will be sympathetic and want to help. Get somewhere you can have a good nights sleep and reassess in the morning.

Good luck and keep in contact. I'm new here but I'm sure there are loads of people who can offer much better advice than me and give support.

12. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

their website is still live

13. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

i would get a local welder fabricator to repair and reinforce the trailer. just repairing it will not do as its likely to fail again.

you are not the first to have an ezetow break when towing....probably why they went bust

as for cost, unless it causes an accident including injury I doubt it would be worth pursuing in court. mind you they should have product liability insurance to claim off if you can show it was substandard

14. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

buy normal motorbike trailer

What should I do? I am seriously tearing my hair out here.
    Thanks

Elspeth:cry:[/quote]

Hi Elspeth..chin up......I am saddened to hear all the problems you are having......here are two names in France to look out for on the internet for trailers that may be similar to the one you have....Bi Jockey..and remorques roues pivotantes.. http://www.campingcar-accessoires-reparation-entretien.com/fr/remorque-bi-jockey.html
    http://remorque-33.com/index.php/porte-tout-bi-jockey.html
    https://www.google.fr/search?q=remo...zKoi90QWag4GIAQ&ved=0CF8QsAQ&biw=1145&bih=933

http://www.campingcar-bricoloisirs.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=26112

I do not know of any that may be close to you.

And they are very expensive over here in France....

If it was me and I could not get it repaired..try a local garage the old fashioned type........
    Then I would go for something simple and cheap that will last you...I presume you are putting a motorbike on the back...but I am not sure how big the motorbike weighs.....
    But here is a link for a cheap galvanized trailer for a moto (motorbike / scooter ) trailer that will be sold all over France...

http://www.norauto.fr/Acheter-Remor...que/Remorque-loisirs/384174-NorautoSI-/1.html
    at 399 euros (£330)

http://lider.fr/remorques/porte_motos_2012.html

http://www.jmb-quad.com/4,17,remorques_2,lider-32400-e.html
    This is a motor spares company that are all over France..( a bit like Halfords). Feu Vert

http://www.feuvert.fr/1/Recherche.h...&SORT_ORDER=Promo|DESC-afs:relevance|DESC&N=2

Here they have one at 429 euros...(£350) galvanized.
    with this type of trailer you should gets spares all over......ERDE ...is a big well know company in France...
    If you can not get it repaired, then I would cut my losses as you say they have gone bust..
    Sorry I can not be of any more help to you,. as we are 180km north of you...in the Pas de Calais region..

Mel

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  15. sedge

sedge Funster

That's a bargain for the Erde, I reckon Mel.

Look

http://www.erde-trailers.com/erdeacute-pm310-single-motor-bike-trailer-64-p.asp

And I only looked it up for nosiness as I couldn't see what weight moto it would take!

That one would be fine for either of our beasties.

Edit - I've just looked at the Norauto one LOL - even better (tempted to say could get the rider on there an all for that!)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Heyupluv

Sedge... as you know a lot of things are NOT cheap in France....But Hey that's France...
    So I am surprised to see the moto trailer cheaper over here...also over here they are in Euros and the one you put the link to was in £ sterling..at a exchange rate of 1.20 that makes it around 542 euros....I see what you mean...about a 100 euros more expensive.

I think the moto trailer is maybe the best solution...that's just my opinion...Mel

Sedge.......Here is one for the two moto's.....

http://www.norauto.fr/Catalogue/FicheProduit.aspx?ProductID=384175

Still cheaper than the uk link....499 euros......£415 sterling...but for two moto's

Mel

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  17. Heyupluv

Remorque idéale pour le transport d'une moto. Vous pouvez trouver toutes les options disponibles pour votre remorque ci-dessus (roue jockey, roue de secours, rail de montée, sangles...).

La remorque NORAUTO est en acier galvanisé ce qui permet d’augmenter sa durée de vie et de préserver sa qualité esthétique dans le temps. Toutes nos remorques NORAUTO sont fabriquées en France et subissent les tests et essais les plus sévères garantissant le contrôle du système de production ainsi que la fiabilité, la qualité et la sécurité pour l’utilisateur. Elles sont également équipées de systèmes réfléchissants (catadioptres) et de deux protections latérales pare-cycliste.
    Poids total autorisé en charge PTAC 350 Kg
    Charge de l’essieu 350 kg
    Charge utile CU 270 kg
    Poids à vide PV 80 kg
    Dimensions utiles du plateau (Longeur x Profondeur) 200 cm x 100 cm
    Dimensions hors tout (Longueur x Hauteur x Profondeur) 290 cm x 77 cm x 147 cm
    Longueur du rail 2,00 m x 0,24 m
    Taille de roue 500x10
    Livrée montée Oui
    Nécéssite une carte grise spécifique Non
    Timon (flèche) Droit
    Roue jockey incluse Non
    Roue de secours incluse Non
    Pensez-y

Descriptif

CONSEIL

Avis
    - Quel permis pour quelle remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Faut-il une assurance spéciale pour tracter une remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Une carte grise pour ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Quelle vitesse pour ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Le système de freinage est-il obligatoire sur ma remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Quelles précautions prendre avant de partir avec une remorque ? Cliquez-ici
    - Le lexique de la remorque. Cliquez-ici
    Pensez-y

Descriptif

Conseil

AVIS
    Résumé des évaluations
    4 sur 5

Rapport qualité/prix :

100 %des clients recommandent ce produit
    Filtres avancés
    Notation
    Rapport qualité/prix
    Cliquez sur les filtres ci-dessus pour affiner vos résultats
    Donner votre avis

4 sur 5
    bonne remorque à compléter10 juin 2012
    Par loickz
    Rapport qualité/prix :

remorque de bonne qualité, un petit bémol sur la prise electrique, fragile.
    pas de câble de retenue.
    mise en position verticale aisée, feux protégés, et flêche démontable, juste faire attention au câblage lors de cette opération, car risque de coupure de ce dernier.
    à rajouter en plus à la remorque, une roue de secours 60 euros, une rampe d'accès 26,60 euros, une roue jocket (23 euros# + 4 sangles à cliquets 20 euros,
    et une plaque d'immatriculation 14 euros.#si on veut une remorque prête à l'emploi#
    j'ai transporté une 750 de 230 kgs sur 500 kms et pas de soucis.
    dernier détail, il n'existe pas d'antivol de roue pour ce modèle.#ecrous de 10)
    mais les roues sont d'un bon diamètre 5.00 x 10 à 4 trous.
    je regrette pas mon achat! la commande internet mets 4 semaines, pour avoir la remorque.
    donc prévoyez ce délais pour une commande sur le web!
    J'ai aimé : protection des feux arrière, roues de bon diamètre, rangement vertical
    Je n'ai pas aimé : prise electrique remorque fragile.
    Recommanderiez-vous ce produit à un ami ? Oui
    Partager cet avis :
    Cet avis vous a-t-il été utile ?Oui12Non0
    Signaler un abus
    4 sur 5
    tres bon achat17 mai 2012
    Par tof
    Rapport qualité/prix :

remorque de bonne conception, bon comportement sur route , seul bémol, elle bascule pour le chargement, mais la rampe est trop courte, ce qui represente une bonne marche pour monter la moto, sinon pour le prix rien a dire
    J'ai aimé : bonne tenue de route
    Je n'ai pas aimé : rampe trop courte, peut etre avoir une petite marche en option
    Partager cet avis :
    Cet avis vous a-t-il été utile ?Oui6Non3
    Signaler un abus
    4 sur 5
    Une remorque conforme à mes attentes29 mars 2012
    Par chadernolle
    Rapport qualité/prix :

J'utilise cette remorque pour transporter un SpeedMaster de 250 kg (la CU de la remorque est de 270 kg). L'été dernier, je suis parti en vacances à 500 km de chez moi et je n'ai rencontré aucun problème.

http://www.dushopping.fr/comparateur-

18. Heyupluv

19. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Hi
    sorry to hear about your troubles Elspeth

I tend to agree with 'scrap it' and buy a cheap trailer .. cut your losses and put it down to experience ..

On a personal note..

We were on the '07 trip to Morocco with you and Ian, and last saw you at Honfluer aire in '08. Hope the rest of your trip goes well..

Jim , Jan & Chaz :Smile:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  20. rarin2go

Jim
    We remember you all well. I have many memories of you and your family on the trip to Morocco, not least you making bacon sandwiches and making me jealous because I hadn't thought to bring any bacon with me, or the fact you had a washing machine in your trailer! But we will never forget Charlottes dazzling smile lighting up each day.

Thanks to everyone for they helpful suggestions, especially HEYUPLUV with all the trailer info and links. We are off to Norauto this morning to have a look at the trailers.

For anyone who is interested I attach photos (hopefully) of the two breaks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1